Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Jenny Milchman

Member:MsNick
Title:Cover of Snow: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Milchman
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman (Author)

Nora wakes one winter morning in Upstate New York to discover her husband (a cop) killed himself. She is in shock, but during her grief she starts to believe that her husband was up to something; he had slipped her some drug that he had acquired two weeks earlier so that she would sleep through that night; he had killed himself on the anniversary of his younger brother's death (which Nora knew nothing about until she starts investigating). This is a amateur sleuth investigating her husband's death to cope with her grief. It's not a bad story, the setting is portrayed very well, but I couldn't help KNOWING that it was going to end happily, which ruined some of the tension. ( )
  minxcr1964 | Jun 11, 2015 |
Nora Hamilton went to bed one wintry evening married to a wonderful man named Brendan - a man who loved his wife dearly, valued his profession deeply, and had an unwavering affection for his quaint hometown nestled in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. Nora Hamilton woke up the next morning in her old farmhouse, to find that overnight her world had effectively shattered into a million pieces. Her husband, Brendan Hamilton - the trustworthy, by-the-book police officer - had committed suicide. Nora is left feeling bereft and thoroughly confused.

Then a disturbing awareness slowly settles in: Brendan left no note and gave absolutely no indication that he was contemplating taking his own life. So, why then would a rock-solid policeman with such an unswerving devotion to his wife, his job, and his community suddenly choose to end it all? Unraveling her husband's final days, Nora searches for an explanation - but seems to be meeting with an extraordinary amount of resistance that she can't seem to penetrate, no matter how hard she tries.

It seems utterly bewildering to Nora that everyone she speaks with - from Brendan's best friend and partner, to his fellow police officers, to his brittle mother - are remarkably reticent about speaking to her. It quickly becomes apparent to Nora that she is asking questions no one wants to answer; looking for answers that no one is prepared to give. For beneath the soft cover of snow lies a powerful conspiracy that will stop at nothing to keep its presence unknown...and its darkest secrets hidden.

First of all, let me say that I really enjoyed reading this book. The mystery was interesting, intriguing and full of dramatic twists and turns. It was certainly a remarkably good story, and I was drawn into the plot right from the beginning. It was well-written and dramatic, and I found myself really connecting with the characters. I must say that I was enthralled and wanted to know what would happen next.

This was the debut novel written by Jenny Milchman and, even though I believe that I have at least one more book by this author somewhere on my bookcase, Cover of Snow: A Novel is the first book by this author that I've read. I will say that despite the fact that the book was very good - and it held my attention all the way through the story - I found the mystery just a bit too complex; it was slightly more complicated than I thought it would be. There were also details about the plot that I, personally, found a little implausible. I read best with the theory that 'Simplicity is the Best Policy' securely in my mind; although I would still give Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman a definite A! I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jun 8, 2015 |
Nora's husband had been a policeman in the small town where they live. In her quest to learn why he committed suicide, she learns some disturbing secrets about the police department. She also finds out more about her husband's past and how both his secrets and those of the police department are linked.

Although it has some faults, this book really grabbed me. That is, it kept me reading instead of eating and late into the night. I didn't want to put it down.

That grab-me factor is the biggest test of a good book but not the only one. While it seemed to me that Jenny Milchman was careful not to overwrite, go on and on when a simple sentence or two will do, I sometimes wished for more description. For example, her emphasis on the cold and the small-town surroundings were excellent, but some of Nora's findings about her husband's past and the people from his past were a little confusing.

Also lacking are good transitions from present to past and vice versa, differentiation between the past of 25 years ago and more recently, and careful use of pronouns. But these are not overwhelming and just mean the reader sometimes had to read sentences more than once. ( )
  techeditor | May 13, 2015 |
***Review Copy***

Not the best suspense novel I've ever read but certainly not the worst. An ok read. ( )
  nubian_princesa | May 10, 2015 |
“AUDIO
The story was ok. ....the experience was just ok.....
I felt like I had heard some of it before and there was a certain predictability.

Basically I enjoyed the female narration; but occasionally, delivery was too dramatic for me.
However, there were a number of female characters and a plethora of emotions.
This may account for the drama.
I felt the male characters were a bit awkward and there were a number of them.
I sometimes have a problem with a woman attempting too many male voices in a production.
Because of this, I had trouble taking it seriously.
There were 10 discs and I tired here and there...so perhaps a bit more concise, please.

get my drift?
It may have had a different effect in print....

This was a debut....
I'm allowing that things can be a little rough around the edges in a debut.
I'll try her again...just to see how I feel.

3★ ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.

This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

77 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible