Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Jenny Milchman

Member:MsNick
Title:Cover of Snow: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Milchman
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman (Author)

Nora's husband had been a policeman in the small town where they live. In her quest to learn why he committed suicide, she learns some disturbing secrets about the police department. She also finds out more about her husband's past and how both his secrets and those of the police department are linked.

Although it has some faults, this book really grabbed me. That is, it kept me reading instead of eating and late into the night. I didn't want to put it down.

That grab-me factor is the biggest test of a good book but not the only one. While it seemed to me that Jenny Milchman was careful not to overwrite, go on and on when a simple sentence or two will do, I sometimes wished for more description. For example, her emphasis on the cold and the small-town surroundings were excellent, but some of Nora's findings about her husband's past and the people from his past were a little confusing.

Also lacking are good transitions from present to past and vice versa, differentiation between the past of 25 years ago and more recently, and careful use of pronouns. But these are not overwhelming and just mean the reader sometimes had to read sentences more than once. ( )
  techeditor | May 13, 2015 |
***Review Copy***

Not the best suspense novel I've ever read but certainly not the worst. An ok read. ( )
  nubian_princesa | May 10, 2015 |
“AUDIO
The story was ok. ....the experience was just ok.....
I felt like I had heard some of it before and there was a certain predictability.

Basically I enjoyed the female narration; but occasionally, delivery was too dramatic for me.
However, there were a number of female characters and a plethora of emotions.
This may account for the drama.
I felt the male characters were a bit awkward and there were a number of them.
I sometimes have a problem with a woman attempting too many male voices in a production.
Because of this, I had trouble taking it seriously.
There were 10 discs and I tired here and there...so perhaps a bit more concise, please.

get my drift?
It may have had a different effect in print....

This was a debut....
I'm allowing that things can be a little rough around the edges in a debut.
I'll try her again...just to see how I feel.

3★ ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
Young wife awakens to an empty bed, only to find her policeman husband dangling from a rope. It is quickly declared a suicide, but Nora Hamilton has her doubts. There are many characters in this book -- a malign mother-in-law, officious policemen, distant family, snoopy journalist, autistic mechanic -- but none more pervasive than the cold, small town, upstate NY Winter. I suspect we were to find this suspense every bit as chilling as the weather. I found myself fairly frustrated with our young bride --somethings were just too obvious to miss. Nevertheless, a good first outing for author Jenny Milchman. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Dec 3, 2014 |
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Suspense/2013/Random House/320 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: SA
TIME/PLACE: Present/Adronidacks, NY
CHARACTERS: Nora Hamilton/widow -- home re-furbisher
FIRST LINES: My husband wasn't in bed w/ me when I woke up that January morning.
COMMENTS: Suspenseful: Yes -- couldn't piece it all together, had bits & parts but not quite the whole story. Atmospheric: Yes, great descriptions of a small, isolated, mountain town in the midst of winter in upstate NY. Developed Characters: yes, a variety of psychological make-ups from the police department to in-laws and relatives. My quibble: Nora is a seemingly happily married woman -- there was never any indication that she wasn't. Granted, she discovers she didn't know her husband deeply and there was a past she knew nothing about … but still she didn't seem to be angry about this, more curious and persistent in continuing to pursue why her husband died, despite threats to stop her. All this & I never really felt much sorrow or grief from her at the loss of her husband. Of course, we all have our own ways and timelines to grieving, I am well aware of this. And I also understand her course of detection could serve as a possible distraction from feeling her grief but I just did not get that in this case. And as a recent widow, I am more than hypersensitive to this so it may not deter another reader from enjoying the book more. Her relationship w/ Ned also seemed too quick for me. My personal issues aside, I would read another book by Jenny Milchman, esp. since I have won the book Ruin Falls. ( )
  pammykn | Oct 20, 2014 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.

This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

16 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,254,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible