Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Jenny Milchman

Member:DeanieG
Title:Cover of Snow: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Milchman
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, read, reviewed, Early Reviewers, Added after 1/10/12
Tags:Added after 1/10/12, Early Reviewers, read, Your library, reviewed

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman (Author) (2013)

How did this book ever get published?? Perhaps it was through connections with her famous author friends, several of whom were quoted giving lavish praise in blurbs on the front and back covers. The story was so disjointed and confusing that I ended up with far more questions than answers when I was through reading. Horrible debut effort. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Apr 7, 2016 |
This novel starts off with the most intersting of premises, which I've learned from the author herself, doesn't want given away, even though the reader learns of it in the first chapter. So, with respect to the author, I won't speak of it. I will say this event drives the protagonist, as well as the novel, into dangerous, spine-tingling situations in this snowy small town that Stephen King would be proud of.

But, this isn't King, or James Bond, or Patterson where unbelievable events are participated in by the psychotic or super-smart. These characters are part of a small town where each connection is believable and she show respect to the reader in not holding thier hand through events that make sense when dealing with corruption, cover-ups, and just the inherent evil some people possess.

As with most novels, there are some directions the author took that I question. It would be hard to say without giving away that first chapter, but I'll just say after reading the entire book, Nora's husband had other choices, but in making a different choice, it wouldn't be the same book. And the ending is very satisfying in the same tone as the entire book, however, I think the climax could have been drawn out a little longer. (Yes, this coming from an author who has been criticized for the same thing in my own book UNHINGED.)

All in all, I give Cover of Snow 4 out of 5 stars. It was an entirely enjoyable read and kept me returning to it in my spare time where many novels are simply forgotten in my busy schedule. Be warned, once you enter the pages of this small town, you may find it hard to escape!! ( )
  EJFin | Apr 6, 2016 |
Confronted within minutes with characters named Teggie and Club, and dog named Weekend, I anticipated little joy from Jenny Milchman's first efforts as a mystery novelist. The good news is that it wasn't as bad as I expected, but since I expected it to be abysmal, that isn't saying much. (There are spoilers after this point)

One snowy, bitter cold morning, one were there is a cover of snow and the air is quite frigid, our heroine Nora awakes late to find her husband has committed suicide in the dank, chilly attic she has been remodeling. As she pursues the reason behind his out of character choice, she meets resistance where ordinarily she would expect help while finding help in unlikely places.

The biggest problem with the book is that it is bloated. The main reason that it is bloated is the protagonist's ineptitude. And too much snow. How many times do you open a box that has a lid that catches before you decide to figure out why? Me? One! Then the bad guys who the readers are to believe have held sway over the the town are equally inept. If you are searching a car for a fairly thin item, would you go through a box, dump it's contents ignoring the fact that for some reason the lid catches? Not me! I would have torn the thing to pieces. Poor Nora rarely finds a clue on her own. She has nearly every one of them presented with a bow on top, then promptly fails to follow through in any effectual way.

At the beginning the hints and pacing are well handled to create plenty of suspense. However, as the story progresses there are just too many odd angles that never are fully resolved. Red herrings are part of the trade, but eventually their context needs explaining.

The next complaint must be filed under frivolous. This book has too much snow. Long ago I despised reading books set on boats. They made me claustrophobic. I got over it. Then, books set I deserts proved problematic. Mostly over that. Books with insistence on the snow and cold I just do not adore. I suppose we all have our peculiar book turn offs. No doubt you can guess my least favorite of Laura Ingalls Wilder's output. If Milchman could go more than a page without mentioning the temperature or snow it would have helped. The book club discussion on this one will go thusly, "Why didn't you like the book, Lisa?" There is too much snow." Promises to be a brilliant discussion. ( )

lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.

This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

74 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,949,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible