Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Jenny Milchman

Title:Cover of Snow: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Milchman
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman (Author) (2013)

Nora Hamilton wakes up one morning to find Brendan, her police officer husband, missing. She discovers him hanging, an apparent victim of suicide. She is determined to find out why he chose to end his life without any warning. Her mother-in-law is pure evil and the rest of the town, including the police, seem to be withholding any information she needs for her own investigation. It's not long before she realizes she knew nothing about her husband.

I didn't care much for this book, but that is often the case with a debut author's first book. I liked the premise and some of the cliffhanger aspects to build tension. I felt like there were some dangling loose ends and I wondered what happened to some of the characters that just disappeared. Overall, while it wasn't my favorite book this month, I would give the author a second try to see if she's improved between books. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 17, 2016 |
A pretty good debut novel. Holds your interest with twists and turns. Surprise ending! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Waking up one wintry morning in her old farmhouse nestled in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, Nora Hamilton instantly knows that something is wrong. When her fog of sleep clears, she finds her world is suddenly, irretrievably shattered: Her husband, Brendan, has committed suicide.

The first few hours following Nora’s devastating discovery pass for her in a blur of numbness and disbelief. Then, a disturbing awareness slowly settles in: Brendan left no note and gave no indication that he was contemplating taking his own life. Why would a rock-solid police officer with unwavering affection for his wife, job, and quaint hometown suddenly choose to end it all? Having spent a lifetime avoiding hard truths, Nora must now start facing them.

My Thoughts:

Sinister and creepy, Cover of Snow is populated by interesting characters who all seem to be keeping secrets. Nora has never felt completely accepted by her husband's friends and family but now she realizes she is more of an outcast than she thought. Well paced with just enough clues to keep the reader constantly guessing and enough eerie events to keep the reader freaked out, I could not put the book down until I had experienced the dramatic and revealing ending. Without giving anything away, I must admit that I felt several of the characters were flat and the ending doesn't completely satisfy. Therefore... the 3.5 stars.
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
How did this book ever get published?? Perhaps it was through connections with her famous author friends, several of whom were quoted giving lavish praise in blurbs on the front and back covers. The story was so disjointed and confusing that I ended up with far more questions than answers when I was through reading. Horrible debut effort. ( )
1 vote flourgirl49 | Apr 7, 2016 |
This novel starts off with the most intersting of premises, which I've learned from the author herself, doesn't want given away, even though the reader learns of it in the first chapter. So, with respect to the author, I won't speak of it. I will say this event drives the protagonist, as well as the novel, into dangerous, spine-tingling situations in this snowy small town that Stephen King would be proud of.

But, this isn't King, or James Bond, or Patterson where unbelievable events are participated in by the psychotic or super-smart. These characters are part of a small town where each connection is believable and she show respect to the reader in not holding thier hand through events that make sense when dealing with corruption, cover-ups, and just the inherent evil some people possess.

As with most novels, there are some directions the author took that I question. It would be hard to say without giving away that first chapter, but I'll just say after reading the entire book, Nora's husband had other choices, but in making a different choice, it wouldn't be the same book. And the ending is very satisfying in the same tone as the entire book, however, I think the climax could have been drawn out a little longer. (Yes, this coming from an author who has been criticized for the same thing in my own book UNHINGED.)

All in all, I give Cover of Snow 4 out of 5 stars. It was an entirely enjoyable read and kept me returning to it in my spare time where many novels are simply forgotten in my busy schedule. Be warned, once you enter the pages of this small town, you may find it hard to escape!! ( )
  EJFin | Apr 6, 2016 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.
This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,817,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible