Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Jenny Milchman

Member:ThoughtsofJoyLibrary
Title:Cover of Snow: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Milchman
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:LTER Win, Nov 12

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman (Author)

AUTHOR: Milchman, Jenny
TITLE: Cover of Snow
DATE READ: 10/17/14
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Suspense/2013/Random House/320 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: SA
TIME/PLACE: Present/Adronidacks, NY
CHARACTERS: Nora Hamilton/widow -- home re-furbisher
FIRST LINES: My husband wasn't in bed w/ me when I woke up that January morning.
COMMENTS: Suspenseful: Yes -- couldn't piece it all together, had bits & parts but not quite the whole story. Atmospheric: Yes, great descriptions of a small, isolated, mountain town in the midst of winter in upstate NY. Developed Characters: yes, a variety of psychological make-ups from the police department to in-laws and relatives. My quibble: Nora is a seemingly happily married woman -- there was never any indication that she wasn't. Granted, she discovers she didn't know her husband deeply and there was a past she knew nothing about … but still she didn't seem to be angry about this, more curious and persistent in continuing to pursue why her husband died, despite threats to stop her. All this & I never really felt much sorrow or grief from her at the loss of her husband. Of course, we all have our own ways and timelines to grieving, I am well aware of this. And I also understand her course of detection could serve as a possible distraction from feeling her grief but I just did not get that in this case. And as a recent widow, I am more than hypersensitive to this so it may not deter another reader from enjoying the book more. Her relationship w/ Ned also seemed too quick for me. My personal issues aside, I would read another book by Jenny Milchman, esp. since I have won the book Ruin Falls. ( )
  pammykn | Oct 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First of all, thank you Library Thing for letting me read and review this book early!
This was a straight up mystery but it was a little depressing. There were twists which I love but I really wanted to LOVE this book and I never got there. I felt I was left with a lot of loose ends and that's one thing that drives me crazy! ( )
  Sharn | Sep 18, 2014 |
Title - Cover of Snow

Author - Jenny Milchman

Source - Scottsdale Public Library

Summary -

Nora Hamilton woke up to the cold morning to notice her husband Brendan was not in bed with her. They lived in his Aunt's home in the mountains, Brendan a member of the local police force would often keep odd hours. Nora rose, feeling drowsy still and went about the house, but still could not find her husband. She walks up the back stairs to what had once been the servant's room and when she opens the door. She finds her husband.

"...I stared at her, ruing the expression of incomprehension I knew must be on my face.
"Unhappy men commit suicide, Nora. And what makes a man unhappy-especially one who is widely known to love his job?" She spoke quickly now, words gathering momentum, like a train. "Why, trouble at home, of course. With his marriage. His wife..."

Nora begins to question her husband's death. She begins to question the life she and Brendan lived. Why would a policeman who knew all the ways to kill himself with a gun, hang himself? Why did her mother-in-law hate her and Brendan so much. And what did it all have to do with the death of a young child twenty five years before? Twenty five years to the day of Brendan's death.

"...You're looking for how comes and there aren't any here," the police chief told me gruffly. "Brendan died and I'm mad as hell, like you, but no good comes from wondering why..."

Slowly, Nora begins to find more pieces to a puzzle that simply don't fit. And she cannot let her husband's suicide go. Is she grieving, blinded in her anguish to make out the simple truth of Brendan's death. Or is there much more going on in this sleepy snowed in mountain town. If she is right, how much more time will she have before she also goes missing or dead.

Review -

I had a tough time enjoying this one. The pace was incredibly slow and the characters overall did not endear you to them. Nora is torn between anger and grief. But she doggedly pursues her obsession that there is much more to her husband's death than what appears on the surface. Going between feeling for him and anger at him.
The Police Department, though central to the story, are not very developed here and its difficult to understand their motivation. In fact it seems that the only crime in the town in the crime they commit themselves.
For me, though the story was good, the pace and characters brought down and already weak plot.
Okay but not on par with alot of other books out there. ( )
1 vote agarcia85257 | Sep 10, 2014 |
I can't do it. This book makes no sense what so ever. ( )
1 vote bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Suspenseful, some interesting twists but a bit confusing in middle. Liked Nora, and Dugger characters.
  PaperDollLady | May 7, 2014 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.

This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

16 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible