Cover of Snow: A Novel by Jenny Milchman

Cover of Snow: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Jenny Milchman

Member:ThoughtsofJoyLibrary
Title:Cover of Snow: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Milchman
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:LTER Win, Nov 12

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman (Author)

Suspenseful, some interesting twists but a bit confusing in middle. Liked Nora, and Dugger characters.
  PaperDollLady | May 7, 2014 |
Actual rating: 2.5 stars ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Thanks to Allison @ The Book Wheel’s recommendation, I picked up Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman.

Talk about a great psychological thriller/mystery! It reminds me of what I thought He’s Gone should have been.

Nora Hamilton wakes up one snowy morning in a fog. As she comes to, she finds her husband’s dead body – a suicide. But there’s no note, and it’s very unlike-Brendan to have committed suicide. So what is going on?

For the full review, visit Love at First Book ( )
  LoveAtFirstBook | Sep 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
COVER OF SNOW. Wow, what to say about this book? Parts of it, especially early on, were a struggle for me, and I almost gave up a couple of times. However, the puzzling mystery and the uber-creepy atmosphere of the story kept me hanging on, and I'm glad I did.

Nora and her husband Brendan live in an old farmhouse in the remote mountain town of Wedeskyull, NY (pronounced weeds-kill). Brendan is a cop, and Nora restores old homes. Their marriage is a happy one, so Nora is in absolute shock to wake up one morning and discover Brendan had killed himself.

Nora wants answers to why this happened, so she starts asking questions, only to run up against brick walls at every turn. Brendan's friends and fellow cops, his mother, and others in town seem to be discouraging Nora from discovering the truth any way they can, until she meets an unlikely ally with the keys to unlock Brendan's past.

So, there were things about this book that troubled me, and most of it occurred in the first half. First, the prose didn't click with me. Descriptions of relief being like "thick soup" and a trendy coffee shop being like a "prison camp" where just odd to me. I also thought some of the dialogue was awkward. There were conversations that went nowhere, or were a struggle to get out. Finally, I thought some of what went on just wasn't plausible, especially Nora's troubling lack of knowledge of her husband's past. I just didn't believe it.

But, in spite of the book's flaws, I would still recommend this book to mystery/suspense fans. Why? Because the mystery itself was just THAT good, and the overall tone of the book was bone-chilling! I haven't felt such an eerie sense of foreboding while reading a book in a very long time. *shudders* The ending was amazing, so much so that I can forgive what I didn't like and give COVER OF SNOW 3½-stars!

Source: I won an Early Reviewers copy of this book from LibraryThing. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Jul 1, 2013 |
Nora Hamilton wakes up one morning to find that her husband has hung himself. This is especially surprising to her because just the night before they were getting busy with each other and everything seemed fine. Apparently a lot more was going on with Brendan than he let on to his wife.

The first hundred pages had me hooked. Was Brendan murdered or did he commit suicide and if so why? After that the plot wore thin and it ran out of gas for me. Nora spent too much time dilly dallying all over the place without advancing the plot. The pacing was not very good.

This novel is a little reminiscent of a Louise Penny mystery. Both authors chose small, icy towns with an omnipresent police force for their settings. Also in both books the townspeople know a lot more than they are willing to say. The main difference is a Penny novel has a more developed, intriguing mystery to anchor it. In Milchman's book everyone in the town knows what's going on except for clueless Nora. The only one who is willing to talk is Dugger who is autistic and he only speaks in gibberish rhymes.

The most unforgivable thing for me in this book was the lazy writing. A major character tells Nora that they will tell her everything .......tomorrow! You know they are never going to see another sunrise, come on give me a break! Really? It made me lose respect for the novel. Another troubling thing thing was the tie up to end of the novel was resolved so fast that plot points were not adequately addressed. I still do not have any idea why Brendan chose to end his previous relationship. The problem is once you have read Gone Girl which is so wickedly and brilliantly plotted, other novels in this genre fail to live it up to the expectations.

I got this off the She Reads thriller list. Usually their suggestions are stellar but I could have passed on this. For more on this book click here. http://www.shereads.org/2013/02/some-thrillers-to-chill-you/ ( )
  arielfl | May 3, 2013 |
When promo materials say there are deadly secrets buried within Cover of Snow—believe me, they are correct.

This one is for my mother and father,
who in their different ways gave me the gift of story.
And for Josh, who gave me everything.
My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

In the wake of her stalwart police officer husband's shattering suicide in their otherwise peaceful Adirondack village, house restorer Nora Hamilton notices strange inconsistencies in her husband's past and in the behaviors of his police force co-workers before stumbling on deadly local secrets.… (more)

Jenny Milchman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

16 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible