Here, There & Everywhere by Chris Roberson

Here, There & Everywhere

by Chris Roberson

After being slightly traumatized by The Time Traveler's Wife, it was nice to enjoy this relatively angst-free fantasy romp through time and alternate worlds. The shout-outs to other time traveler stories do start to get a bit too silly and the author did annoy me seriously at least once, but on the whole, it was all in good fun. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I've always loved time travel stories.

When I was a kid, I loved them for the sheer coolness and excitement of the idea: If you could go anywhere, anytime, where would it be? As I got older, I still loved the cool idea, but suddenly things like internal consistency and paradoxes loomed larger — if that stuff was off, it started to ruin the cool fun idea. Then I read a lot of stories where the science was at the forefront, but little things like plot and character faded away. I kept looking for a happy medium — a story where the science was solid and made sense AND there was a plot and characters that I cared about. And then I found it.

My friends, I give you Here, There & Everywhere by Chris Roberson.

Here, There & Everywhere is the story of Roxanne Bonaventure, who, as a young girl, is given a bracelet (called the Sophia) by a mysterious old woman. The Sophia is a time-travel device which allows Roxanne to travel anywhere and anywhen, including alternate timelines. She spends the rest of the book searching for answers to a number of questions, including the origins of the Sophia.

Roxanne is a fabulous character, charming and believable from childhood on. Other characters are drawn equally well, especially Roxanne's father, but even characters we meet only once are memorable.

I'm also fond of the way the story is structured. We get Roxanne's story in a series of vignettes contained in short chapters, with some years skipped between each one. This evokes very well the way Roxanne lives her life among the different timelines she visits. You're able to follow the storyline with no problem, yet you can also feel the same sense of disconnect that Roxanne feels.

Roberson has done a terrific job with Here, There & Everywhere. It's a fast, enjoyable and humorous read that has enough substance to give you plenty to think about when it's all over. And what could be better than that?
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book, though I lost interest from time to time when Roxanne talked with her father and others about time travel in scientific language. I did enjoy reading her story, though. ( )
  ladybug74 | Apr 8, 2009 |
A beautifully constructed circular gem of a light time travel novel. ( )
  ginskye | Oct 22, 2008 |
Reading about an infinity of wacky alternate universes? Fun! Reading about a Mary Sue-type character who never makes a mistake, never changes, and can never be harmed? Not!
  robotnik | Jan 15, 2006 |

"When Roxanne Bonaventure is eleven years old, a dying woman gives her a gift that changes her life utterly, making her a singular creature, with no analogue or equivalent. With the strange device called the "Sofia," she is granted the ability to travel anywhere in space and time, not only through times that were and will be, but also through the worlds that could have been and might someday be. From that day forward, no place or time can contain her, no danger can assail her, no mystery can elude her. From the deepest secrets of the past to the furthest flung visions of the future, Roxanne's life knows no boundaries except those she can imagine. But such power comes at a price: the life she might have led is forever lost to her, twisting away among the infinite threads of the Myriad. Roxanne finds herself isolated, unable to make lasting, meaningful relationships with friends, family, or strangers." "Here, There & Everywhere is the story of one woman searching for herself, and for someone with whom to share her life. It is one story, and many stories - the jigsaw puzzle of a life, from youth to old age, projected against the backdrop of everything that ever was, might have been, and may yet be. Roxanne's adventures take her from Victorian England to Ancient Egypt, from the End of Time to the birth of the Beatles. Along the way, she encounters every method of time travel theoretically possible: Visser Wormholes and Tipler Cylinders; a mysterious substance called chronium; and the slow and steady path we all take, moving forward one day at a time. And somewhere in the endlessly splitting paths of the Myriad lies the secret of Roxanne's own life, her future and her past, woven together into an eternal braid."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible