Murder in the Rue Dumas by M. L. Longworth

Murder in the Rue Dumas (2012)

by M. L. Longworth

Le Judge Antoine Verlaque & law professor Marine Bonnet are progressing quite well in their renewed relationship, when two murders take place at a local theological school, where Marine's distant mother has a connection.

The school's department head, Professor Moutte liked to play his students & professors against each other.

After Professor Moutte has announced his retirement and has promised each of the candidates they would be the one chosen (the lifetime department head position included a large top-floor apartment in a formerly grand historical mansion). The night of his retirement party, Moutte announced that he had changed his mind & would not be retiring as planned.

Moutte had been responsible for awarding the top prize, a fully-funded scholarship & apartment to a top theology student as well... The four students in contention for the prize, were also played off against each other.

After the party, two of the students break into the Moutte's office, searching for the file that would contain the name of the award winner, only to find Moutte dead on the floor, coshed in the head.

While searching Moutte's apartment, Verlaque & co-investigator Bruno Paulik, come across a shattered art glass vase, which turns out to be a forgery that send Verlaque & Marine to Italy in search of a suspect (who was in the running for the department head position).

There was quite a bit going on in this book, but once again this was a smooth read filled with rich details of food, wine, & life in both France & Italy. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jun 11, 2018 |
This is my first in the series and I found it absolutely delightful. Longworth strikes the right balance between plot and character development. The main characters of Marine, Antoine and Bruno are engaging with their faults and strength - and don't have excessively bizarre foibles as is often the case in murder mystery series. I thoroughly enjoyed the Provençal backdrop, the hints to wine and the art history theme. A light, fun read, it is perfect entertainment for the weekend. I'm looking forward to reading more in the series. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Nov 22, 2015 |
Same characters as previous novel (Death at the Chateau Bremont) but their personalities are fleshed out more and that part was interesting. The murder that occurred and was being solved was well done as well. It's not a thriller by any means. But it is a good beach read. ( )
  bogopea | Jun 3, 2015 |
Of the three Verlaque et Bonnet books I've read, this is my least favorite. I think I enjoyed Murder on the Ile Sordou the most, followed by the first in the series, Death at the Chateau Bremont. But it was still enjoyable. ( )
  Maya47Bob46 | Mar 7, 2015 |
This is a book that would be receiving a 3-1/2 rating, if there was the possibility of that. Mind you, I don't care to enter into the fray of the star ratings war; life is too short. My review will make feelings clear enough. The best points of Longworth's Murder in the Rue Dumas are her personable protagonists, Verlaque and Bonnet. Even better is the commisaire Paulik. Longworth's minor character posses equal charm. However, with all but Paulik I feel a slight doubt as to their credibility. I would like to believe in them, but don't quite. Of course, though Sayers's mysteries are on my top three series list, I never BELIEVED in Peter Wimsey to the extent that I accepted as real Marsh's brilliantly conceived Inspector Alleyn or Lovesy's equally brilliant Peter Diamond. I won't even mention the absolute perfection of Kate Ross's Kestrel. I could gush for hours on that subject. Still It is for the charm of the characters, despite the gnawing dissatisfaction as to their absolute verisimilitude, that I will return to this series. I found the author's use of setting underwhelming. Honestly, the story might have been set anywhere. In Donna Leon's series, Venice itself takes on the status of a character, as is the case with Cara Black's Paris detective series. Longworth's use of Provence can't even begin to compare with her compatriots Mayle's. If one holds Longworth's novel up to any of the before mentioned works, it is found wanting. Yet, it remains a charming and highly readable entry into the genre.

The mystery itself is problematic. It is plausible enough, but the strings were not well tied up in the end. Murder in the Rue Dumas wasn't by any means a stumper. From the beginning it was quite obvious what was up and who of the main cast was up to what. Can't say more for fear of giving too much away. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 28, 2013 |
...Fans of European sleuths with a taste for good food such as Martin Walker’s Bruno (Bruno, Chief of Police) will have fun.
added by MurderMysteryMayhem | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 12, 2012)

For Ken and Eva
The friendship between Yann Falquerho and Thierry Marchive had surprised everyone at the university.

When Dr. George Moutte is found murdered, Judge Antoine Verlaque is stumped. Certainly, the director of theology at the Universite d'Aix had his enemies. Moutte was just about to name the recipient of an elite fellowship as well his own successor--a hightly coveted position that includes a lavish apartment in the seventeenth-century mansion--when his lips were sealed permanently. Yet, Verlaque isn't convinced that any of the academics are capable of murder. Aided by his on-again, off-again girlfriend, law professor Marine Bonnet, Verlaque turns Provence upside down, uncovering a world far more complicated than university politics.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,953,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible