Dog Loves Drawing by Louise Yates

Dog Loves Drawing

by Louise Yates

2012 (3) animals (2) art (10) blank book (1) books (2) Boone (2) Box 44 (1) Campbell (3) crabs (1) creativity (4) dog (2) dogs (8) door (1) drawing (6) fiction (6) friends (2) imagination (8) journey (2) mentor text (1) orange (1) PBRI2013 (5) pencils (1) picture book (7) public library book (1) safety (1) sketch (1) thanks (1) to-read (2) watercolor (1) writing (2)

This is a great book for students to see creativity. The dog realizes he can draw and his imagination can grow when he receives a blank book. This would be an excellent book to read to students and then have them use their own imagination to draw. ( )
  Mmarcel2011 | Apr 27, 2013 |
This is a story about a dog who loves books and receives a sketchbook to draw in. The dog essentially "draws" his own book. The story progresses with each page he draws on and his imagination makes the reader feel like the pictures are alive! I loved the illustrations in this book, they were so adorable! ( )
  bereneezypie | Apr 26, 2013 |
Book-loving dog receives a drawing book and interacts with his doodles who come alive. Delightful! ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
I read Louise Yates' first book about Dog, Dog Loves Drawing, for Cybils in 2010 (oddly enough, for some reason I seem to have thought Dog was female. But apparently she is a he. Oh well, it doesn't really matter). I thought the illustrations were lovely, but I'm prejudiced against "I love books" books.

However, I love sentient drawing books, a la Harold and the Purple Crayon so this one was right up my alley and I bought it right away for the library.

Dog still loves his books and his bookshop, but one day he gets a package with a blank book. It's from his Aunt Dora, who encourages him to write his own adventures. He starts with a door, then some doodles, then he draws some new friends and the adventures begin. Sometimes they get a little scary, but he can always draw himself out of trouble and there's a happy ending for all.

What I really liked about the illustrations in this book was the simple, child-like nature of Dog's drawings. They're markedly different from the expert illustrations that set the scene and Dog himself, and they look as if a child could draw them, but they're still professional and beautiful. It adds to the story to see the original drawings as the "real" world and Dog's stick drawings as the art.

Verdict: A lovely story that children and parents will enjoy, whether or not they are "artistic." I like that the book encourages doodling!

ISBN: 9780375870675; Published 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf/Random House; Review copy provided by publisher (used in fundraiser for colleague. it's a long story); Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 2, 2012 |
drawing/writing your own story book ( )
  melodyreads | Oct 23, 2012 |
For those who taught and encouraged me to draw

Dog loves books, but one day he receives a strange one in the mail—it's blank! Soon, Dog realizes that this book is not for reading, but for drawing. Before long, Dog is doodling and drawing himself into a new world, full of friends and surprises.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:32 -0400)

Dog loves drawing so much that he draws his very own adventure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,670,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible