Jasmine Nights by Somtow Sucharitkul

Jasmine Nights

by Somtow Sucharitkul

The setting is Thailand and the protagonists are two boys, one Thai, the other African-American. The novel traces their relationship, which is a meeting of East and West. By a Thai-born writer, author of Vampire Junction.

First-person narrative told by a young man growing up in Bangkok, Thailand. The author occasionally slips into something that resembles magical realism, but Bangkok can be a bit like that at times...Gives one a good feel for what it's like to live there. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is the first book I've ever read by Somtow, whom I've known and worked with as a musician. It's been a while since I've read it so this may not be an entirely fair review, but it was an interesting and sometimes fantastic and disturbing (particularly as I know Somtow!) book about a boy growing up in a Siam of a different era. It's incredible that only a few decades separate the Bangkok of the novel and that of today. I hope to go back and re-read it again. ( )
  emanate28 | May 2, 2014 |
I experienced this book on two levels. First, as a reader open to learning about Bangkok of the early 1960's and the characters of this book. In that guise I loved the beauty of the book -- its well-crafted setting, the unique characters, the moving of this twelve-year-old boy -- a reluctant Thai grasping to his foreign background -- into early manhood. On this level the book was very rewarding.

But where did it fall down for me? Well, it's personal. It was just difficult to read the coming of age of a 12-yo boy when I have an 11-1/2 yo son that I cannot begin to see in those terms! Argh! (Or as the book would say -eeugh.)
-- Review written 2003 ( )
  wareagle78 | Apr 5, 2014 |
Touching story of a privleged young boy growing up in Bangkok. Discovered Somtow through "The Shattered Horse" but this is something completely different, and very worthwhile. ( )
  skystyler | Aug 20, 2008 |
Fabulous story; I couldn't put this down. It was a facsinating portrate of an upper class Thai childhood. Fact or fiction, this is the stuff compelling stories are made of.

I picked this up during a trip to Bangkok. It made the long flight home pass unnoticed. ( )
  ranting_cracker | Aug 28, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,792,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible