Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park by…

Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park (edition 2010)

by William Bebb

122768,668 (3)None
Member:gaialover
Title:Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
Authors:William Bebb
Info:Hands on Productions & Publications (2010), Kindle Edition, 363 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Borrowed, Your library, eBook
Tags:fiction, for fun, scifi, zombies, trailer park, humorous, arizona, from daddy

Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailerpark by William Bebb

I snagged this off Amazon for free. Judging by the title I thought it was going to be some silly zombie book. Was I ever wrong! From the start you are thrown in the action. The characters are well developed and you form a bond quickly. I love the two different types of zombies running around. Throw in a killer snake and some Redneck meth cookers to add to the mix. Loved how the guy who started it all got it in the end, Who knew a trailer park could be one awesome place for a zombie uprising. ( )
  mistybattle | Nov 27, 2013 |
Bebb’s book is a fresh, engaging take on a zombie outbreak. The origin is a factory error, which is decidedly different from the more usual government experimentation or voodoo approach. It’s great commentary on the exploitative practices of factories, not to mention the exploitation of illegal immigrants, without ever being too heavy-handed or preachy. The zombies are a mix of the rage virus and traditional undead. Before dying they are inexplicably full of rage and will eat almost anything but also when they die they reanimate. It’s a cool mix, and I enjoyed it.

The cast of characters is incredibly imaginative, diverse, and even-handed. People are truly just people (or zombies) regardless of age, gender, or ethnicity. And, really, how many books can say they have a WWII vet, a sewer truck worker, a mechanically talented Latina, a wheelchair-bound obese meth chef, a loyal dog, bicycling missionaries, and a pot-growing paraplegic Vietnam Vet. I mean, really. And none of them are two-dimensional caricatures either. They are all well-rounded and presented with thought and humanity.

The plot is complex. I honestly did not know how it was going to end, and it maintains a fast pace throughout. I was never bored and was never entirely certain what was going to happen next. That’s coming from a big zombie fan, so I do think that’s saying something significant about the uniqueness of the engaging plot.

What really makes the book, though, is the sprinkling of humor throughout. This type of humor won’t match everyone, but it certainly works for me. I described it to my dad as “Patrick F. McManus with zombies,” but if you don’t get that reference, it’s hard to describe the humor. So, here are a couple of quotes from the book to demonstrate it.

"Your average one armed pot growing hermit who just murdered two men might be thinking about a variety of things. (location 2592)

"Crazy cop fuckers done bit off my titty." (location 5423)

That second one….oh man. I laugh every time I see it.

So with all this love, why not five stars? Well, compound sentences tend to run on and on with no commas or semi-colons, which can be a bit frustrating to read. Also, the book isn’t quite properly formatted for the kindle.

Overall, though, the formatting and comma issues did not distract me from the wonderfully unique and humorous zombie trailer park story. I’m so glad my dad discovered this indie author and passed his work on to me, and I look forward to reading more of it in the future. Highly recommended to all zombie fans, provided you like the type of humor outlined above.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-US ( )
  gaialover | Nov 17, 2012 |

Just a few miles outside of Albuquerque New Mexico there's something horribly wrong in a remote valley. To their eternal regret some people have mistaken the screams echoing in the hills as coyotes singing to the moon. When Josey drives his truck down into the valley he quickly learns the horrifying truth. It's not coyotes howling- it's men or what used to be men. Josey discovers that the valley is home to the depraved, the noble, the damned, the innocent, the beautiful, and of course the walking dead. When the least dangerous thing you encounter is an angry rattlesnake you know you've made a wrong turn in Albuquerque. The story is over 110,000 words in length. It's eighteen chapters of adventure, excitement, horror, and thoughtful humor. What kind of zombies are they? There has been an interesting but ultimately pointless debate going on for years about what constitutes a zombie. Is it a dead person who walks around causing mayhem? Or is it someone who is violently insane and seeks only to kill and destroy? Why not both? Nestled in a remote valley, the residents of The Albuquerque Springs Trailer Park have lived out there lives nearly forgotten by the rest of the world. The trailer park is home to dozens of illegal immigrants, a hermit who has turned his back on society, a veteran of World War 2, a grumpy old woman, a family of Meth cookers known to local police officials as the Redneck Gourmets, and a beautiful young woman, are just a few. Life was peaceful, quiet, and boring until a deadly industrial accident killed Juan, one of the illegal immigrants. His friends and neighbors promised to dispose of the victim's body. Unfortunately, he came back and disposed of them- one mouthwatering bite at a time. William Robert Bebb: Who is he? Born in southern California in the 1960's, William Bebb is a man of many talents. In the late 1980's and early 1990's, he earned scholarships for Forensic Speaking at two universities. William was also Editor of a University of Alabama at Birmingham newspaper from 1989 to 1991. Also, he won numerous awards for extemporaneous and other speeches at intercollegiate competitions across the country. After graduating with a degree in Communication Arts & Broadcasting from The University of Alabama at Birmingham in 1993, he worked in the exciting world of Academia till 1996. Recognized as an invaluable asset, William was recruited to a worldwide television network- where he has prepared programming for millions of people since 1997.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible