Under Wildwood: The Wildwood Chronicles,…

Under Wildwood: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book II (edition 2012)

by Colin Meloy, Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Member:JanesList
Title:Under Wildwood: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book II
Authors:Colin Meloy
Other authors:Carson Ellis (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 576 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, YA, ReadAloud

Under Wildwood by Colin Meloy (Author)

vol 2 in wonderful fantasy trilogy, written by lead writer/singer of The Decembrists, illustrated by his wife... cliffhanger ending... ( )
  DavidO1103 | Apr 3, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Dec 17, 2013 |
This is the sequel to Wildwood - and if you like children’s fiction I suggest you go read that first. This book brings back Prue, Curtis and some other familiar faces from the first book, as well as some new characters - including Curtis’ two sisters, Rachel and Elsie. Wildwood is suffering with a hard winter and civil unrest after the revolution and Prue is going to have to work to save the wood and all her friends by uniting the country. She must also beware of a mysterious assassin hired by someone in Wildwood to claim her life.

I believe Prue is around 12 and the intended age range for the book is probably about 9-13, so there were times when I was rolling my eyes. At 25, I’m obviously not the target audience, so while I found the book a little young at times, I know why - however I enjoy children’s and YA fiction, and if you do too, you’ll like this book. I did find Curtis to be a little flat - for the sake of staying spoiler free, I just felt he had no real emotion. But overall it was a very fun book and a quick read. I’ll definitely be reading the 3rd book!

The other aspect I’d Iike to comment on is the physical beauty of this book - the edges of the pages are wonderfully rough and raw. The art by Ellis is awesome - as evidenced by my previous posts. These touches made reading the book even more fun. So if you enjoy the genre, or you’ve read the first book, definitely pick up Under Wildwood. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 4, 2013 |
Wildwood was only just okay for me, but, because of my love of Colin Meloy's music, I determined to give his books one more chance. I like to be open-minded about my reading, but, sometimes, certain authors just don't resonate. Colin Meloy makes beautiful music, with lyrics that tell a marvelous story, but his efforts in fiction seem to me too be trying to hard and not aimed at the right audience.

Once again, I feel the need to clarify that I think these books are marketed to entirely the wrong age group. According to Amazon, these books are for ages 8 . Well, that just does not seem right to me at all. If you check out the labels, you'll see that I've marked this book as for adults. The writing is complex and the subject matter seems like it would alternatingly bore and frighten and eight year old. Certainly, there are children or teens that might enjoy this, but, on average, I think this book would make them feel rather stupid. I mean, heck, there are even words I don't know, and that doesn't happen often to me in pretty much any book. On the bright side, if you're looking for interesting SAT prep materials, this might help with the verbal section.

As I noted in my review for Wildwood, some reviewers, disappointed like I was, said that it read as though Meloy wrote the book with a thesaurus to hand. Personally, I didn't feel like that, but, when the option to review the audio came around, I took it, curious to see how it would sound. Clunky language of the overblown variety really stands out when it comes time to read it aloud. Having listened to Meloy narrating his own novel, I stand by my prior assertion: I think he just has an awesome vocabularly and loves big words.

For the most part, I don't see this book really taking off to much except in hipster circles. The villain of this one is a captain of industry, a maker of machine parts. Unthank also runs a home for orphans. If you guessed child labor, then you're right! I don't like corporations any more than the average person, but I find it highly unlikely that a corporation could get away with such flagrant child labor in the US in this day and age, particularly if it's one of the biggest corporations. I mean, come on, there would be people sent in to check out his factory AND to observe the treatment of the children. Perhaps this could be explained, but no reasons for this were given, so I'm calling bullshit. Also, if this book is for kids, I could maybe see them creeped out in a good way about the child labor, but all of the meetings between the captains of industry and belaboring of the anti-corporate message? I doubt it.

There's also a weird, incongruous scene in which Prue and Curtis see some litter. The litter had no effect on the plot whatsoever really, but there's a discussion of it. Why? Because the piece of litter is a can of PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon). As I said, this book is for hipsters. There's absolutely no reason to have the can be beer (or a specific type of beer) unless the target audience is people who drink beer, especially hipster beer.

Aside from that, I have the same complaints that I did the first time around: static characters, unrealistic dialogue and perhaps too much violence for a middle grade audience. Sure, the violence in the book does not phase me, as I read a lot of dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction. However, if I were a kid who'd mostly read children's books, I'm pretty sure this would freak me out. Prue obtains some pretty ghastly injuries, animals kill one another, children fight with glee, and we learn that two characters were tortured in the past, one losing his eyes and the other his hands. It just all felt a bit excessive for an eight year old.

Basically, if you're an adult and you're interested in this, by all means. If you think your kids would like it, great, but just be aware that it's more mature than perhaps implied. I do not plan to continue with this series, sadly, but highly recommend checking out The Decemberists if you haven't heard them before. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Z's nutshell review: I love the story. Hated the writing. (This is pretty much his take on Wildwood #1, which we also did as a read-aloud)
My nutshell review: There are way too many pop culture/hipster references (PBR????, James Earl Jones???) for a book marketed for ages 8 . And this is coming from a family that lives in a hipster 'hood, in the Pacific Northwest. Like Vol. 1, Under Wildwood would have benefitted from a much tighter editing. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |

Meloy, ColinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Meloy, ColinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006202471X, Hardcover)

Ever since Prue McKeel returned home from the Impassable Wilderness after rescuing her brother from the malevolent Dowager Governess, life has been pretty dull. School holds no interest for her, and her new science teacher keeps getting on her case about her dismal test scores and daydreaming in class. Her mind is constantly returning to the verdant groves and sky-tall trees of Wildwood, where her friend Curtis still remains as a bandit-in-training.

But all is not well in that world. A hard winter has come and discord reigns in the wake of the so-called Bicycle Coup. Dark assassins with mysterious motives conspire to settle the scores of an unknown client. A titan of industry employs inmates from his orphanage to work in his machine shop, all the while obsessing over the exploitation of the Impassable Wilderness. Under a growing threat, Prue is drawn back into Wildwood, where she and Curtis will face their greatest challenge yet: to save themselves and the lives of their friends, and to bring unity to a divided country. But in order to do that, they must go under Wildwood.

In Under Wildwood, Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis reveal new dimensions of the epic fantasy-adventure series begun with the critically acclaimed, bestselling Wildwood.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:13 -0400)

"Prue and Curtis are thrown together again to save themselves and the lives of their friends, and to bring unity to the divided country of Wildwood"--

42 wanted2 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,355,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible