Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker

Raptor Red (1995)

by Robert T. Bakker

Pretty neat book. At first I thought the portrayal of the dinosaurs' intelligence was too anthropormophic, but then I thought about how smart cats, dogs, magpies, dolphins, ravens etc. are. I believe Bakker's ideas have merit. And the raptors' adventures were pretty exciting, too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Quite enjoyable. The author (a paleontologist) did a very good job of drawing me in and making me actually care about the Utahraptor main characters. There was humour, suspense, and...for lack of a better term, heartwarming ones.
It brings up that the species has a large brain, and that large brained carnivores are the ones which exhibit things like curiosity and playfulness.
I also like that Professor Bakker did not anthropomorphize the raptors too much (or at least justified it based on the current research)--there were no words, just loose translations of thoughts.

If you like dinosaurs, Read it! ( )
  Beorn_se_Bacaire | Nov 5, 2014 |
I was in love with this book from the very beginning, and I'm delving in for an immediate reread once I've passed my copy along and forced it onto all of my friends. It was funny and well-written, and the elements of humor and humanity weren't excessive - nor did they distract me or draw me out of the story. Raptor Red is definitely a new favorite, and I will now spend the rest of my life hunting for another dino-POV novel since I now have a hunger for more. I loved it so much I mailed it to a friend of mine that lives in another state just so she could read it! ( )
  readstolive | Sep 25, 2014 |
I love dinosaurs. Who doesn’t? When I saw that this book was written by a paleontologist, I immediately was intrigued. Who better to tell a story about dinosaurs than someone who studies them extensively? The book certainly presents a realistic view of dinosaurs based on science, but sometimes the story suffers as a result of the intense attention paid to science.

First I just want to say my absolute favorite part of the book is the beginning of each chapter. Each chapter beginning has a small note in the corner about what month it is, but more importantly, it has a hilarious drawing of a dinosaur (or a few) along with a tongue-in-cheek chapter title.

I wish that this ability to both present scientifically realistic dinosaurs and be humorous/cartoonish about them simultaneously had carried through to the writing. The overarching story that the book tells is sound. Raptor Red’s mate dies, and she reunites with her similarly widowed sister while simultaneously looking for a new mate. (This is not a spoiler, it is well-established in the first chapter). But the story on the sentence level is belabored by the author’s apparent need to couch everything in speculations. For instance, instead of just saying Raptor Red stamped her foot angrily, he’ll say something like Raptor Red was probably angry because she stamped her foot, and we know that dinosaurs stamping their foot indicated impatience, and if we believe that higher-thinking animals can feel emotions, then it was probably anger she was feeling. Passages like that really gum up the storytelling. The story would have worked better if he had some disclaimer at the beginning regarding emotions in animals, literary license, etc…, and then just ran with putting emotions on the extremely well-researched animal behavior.

The book teaches the reader a lot about dinosaurs in the context of the story, but the storytelling manner makes the reader get bogged down and realize they’re learning, instead of enjoying a story and happening to get some knowledge about dinosaurs in the process. The former makes for a tough read, in spite of enjoyable illustrations.

Overall, dinosaur enthusiasts will enjoy both the illustrations and the high level of science present in the story. Some may be frustrated by the author’s insistence on not personifying the dinosaurs, in spite of telling a very emotional story of being widowed and finding a new mate. Recommended primarily to those with a vested interest in reading everything dinosaur who won’t mind that the story sometimes suffers at the hands of science.

Check out my full review, featuring illustrations from the book: http://wp.me/pp7vL-19d ( )
  gaialover | Aug 28, 2014 |
A novel about a year in the life of a Utahraptor as she and her family travel around what will later be the western United States.

Very readable, and the author's speculations about dinosaur life felt plausible (at least to this lay reader who didn't have much of a dinosaur phase as a kid), though I'm curious as to whether there's been anything in the last twenty years that'd change some of the author's interpretations. I had a few character/situation quibbles (I'm not sure whether it's ever mentioned what happened to the sister's mate, for example; while the sister wouldn't be able to communicate this, the narrator certainly pops in and comments on occasion), but nothing that kicked me out of the book. ( )
  castiron | May 10, 2013 |

Robert T. Bakkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, Richard M.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenbusch, Ricardo AníbalTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Call her Utahraptor."

A pair of fierce but beautiful eyes look out from the undergrowth of conifers.  She is an intelligent killer...

So begins one of the most extraordinary novels you will ever read.  The time is 120 million years ago, the place is the plains of prehistoric Utah, and the eyes belong to an unforgettable heroine.  Her name is Raptor Red, and she is a female Raptor dinosaur.

Painting a rich and colorful picture of a lush prehistoric world, leading paleontologist Robert T. Bakker tells his story from within Raptor Red's extraordinary mind, dramatizing his revolutionary theories in this exciting tale.  From a tragic loss to the fierce struggle for survival to a daring migration to the Pacific Ocean to escape a deadly new predator, Raptor Red combines fact an fiction to capture for the first time the thoughts, emotions, and behaviors of the most magnificent, enigmatic creatures ever to walk the face of the earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The life of a lady dinosaur in the prehistoric swamps of Utah. When her mate is killed on a hunting expedition she teams up with her sister, a mother of three, and the novels follows their struggle to eat and survive in a dangerous world. Eventually she finds another husband. By the author of The Dinosaur Heresies.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible