Necessity's Child (Liaden Universe) by…
Title:Necessity's Child (Liaden Universe)
Authors:Sharon Lee
Other authors:Steve Miller
Info:Baen (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:Kindle, science fiction, nan 3/13

Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee

After reading several of the Theo Waitley that are incomplete fragments that never really tell a story from beginning to end, here we do have a story that almost does that.

Whilst at the end we have a conclusion, somewhere along the way just one vignette, not even a full scene, or a chapter, had gone missing. Surely we can see from our perspective the pieces that are moving together towards the climax, but we need that one piece, to show concisely that the Department of the Interior, the great nemesis, was active and had chosen the focus that we know it has.

Instead as we go about the book, a coming of age for two protagonists, in a sense, we are lost to the theme of the story as only the vaguest of the DoI as an enemy seems to be known. We should almost decide that the structure of Surebleak should be the enemy, but as we go about, the internal opposition to Tree and Dragon seems to be gone, and it is only the external enemies of Korval that remain.

Aside from that missing piece, the book reads well jumping from POV to the various tools we need to be present at the end, except of course for the active enemy DoI presence. This, unlike the Theo Waitley books could well fit into a reread of the entire Agent of Change, Plan B Sequences. ( )
  DWWilkin | Sep 7, 2015 |
The . . . 17th in the Liaden series and a very very good one. Korval now settled on Surebleak is working hard to secure its position and help the people already on the planet who have been mired in violence since being abandoned when the company that was running everyone and everything pulled out. The main characters in this one are children, Syl Vor child of Nova Yos Galan figures largely as does a child of a new-to-us people, the Bedel, who live in secret under old warehouses in the city. One of the things Korval is trying to do is create a 'consolidated' school that everyone in the city can attend in the hopes that this might begin the process of breaking down the fiefdoms run by bosses that separate everyone and make commerce and almost everything else impossibly difficult. There is Rys, found beaten and broken by the Bedel and adopted in their "kompani". As he begins to remember who and what he was the plot begins to spin! ****1/2 ( )
  sibyx | Jul 11, 2015 |
All the action is on Surebleak and focuses on Nova's son Sly Vor and his newly adopted sister Kezzi and her people that live hidden on Surebleak. Mix in an very injured Liaden man with amnesia taken in by Kezzi's people the kompani and trouble will bubble to the surface of the city. Change is coming to city with new rules and schooling for kids as well and not everyone likes what is happening. As Rys heals, he slowly remembers things about his past and it seems his past is trying to get in touch with him as well. This gels quickly at the end bringing the two storylines together in a fast paced ending.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
The development of a multicultural society on the planet Surebleak continues to fascinate me. This is a great addition to the books of the Liaden Universe and the story of clan Korval. The new story thread of the Bedel people works and I hope we will hear more about their interactions with the gadje on Surebleak. Great stuff. ( )
  Kali.Lightfoot | Jan 10, 2014 |
Syl Var, his older cousins having moved on to more age-appropriate tasks, is feeling less than useful. The solution he proposes to his mother and the Delm involves serving as appropriate for a young dragon.

Kezzy, a child of the Bedel, like Syl Var is young only in years, although she can give a good redition on child-like behavior when necessary.

Lys... has no idea who he really is, and only honor drives him to find out. One thing he does know: dragons are deadly.

Lee and Miller weave the threads of lives together with their typical deftness. As other reviewers have commented, although a few familiar faces are encountered, this is a story of the next generation. It will be interesting to see where the weavers take us next. ( )
  SunnySD | Oct 7, 2013 |

Lee, Sharonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Inside the duct, it was hot and wet - nothing new there, thought Kezzi, shifting her weight carefully.

When the arrival of Clan Korval on the planet Surebleak threatens the secret existence of the native kompani, catastrophic changes bring together three individuals, including a kompani apprentice, a young Clan Korval warrior, and a man without a world orpast.… (more)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

30 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible