Solar Lottery by Philip K. Dick

Solar Lottery

by Philip K. Dick

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All (10)
Um brilhante primeiro livro do mais genial autor de fc de todos os tempos. Explora uma sociedade corrupta que através dum sistema aleatório de uma garrafa de jogo define o "quizmaster" que pode ser morto por qualquer um que se candidate para lhe tomar o lugar. Num jogo viciado de mestres e servos apenas os mais poderosos controlam o jogo. Mas existe um homem Ted Benteley que ao quebrar o vínculo com um mestre e mudar para outro tem esperança em estar a fazer o bem, mas todo o processo está podre e corrupto desde a origem. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
I cast about quite a while for a book to fill the "first book by a favourite author" square. I kept thinking of authors whose first works I'd already read, before finally settling on Philip K. Dick. Then it was a matter of finding a copy. I visited several bookstores (in multiple states) before finally giving up and checking this out at the library,

This is very recognizably a Dick novel, most notably for the giant, all-encompassing system of governance designed to outsmart human failings (most specifically, our grasping for power), but which, in reality, mostly inspires cheating and superstition and does absolutely nothing for the vast majority of humanity. Also, something which may or may not be the presence of a non-human intelligence at the fringes of the solar system, but could also just be the ravings of one deluded crackpot. Perhaps a little bit less "What is reality? What is human?" than the normal Dickian novel.

The female characters are pretty standard 1950s sci-fi fare, but what can you do?

Some praise this book for being less prone to the deluded paranoia of Dick's later years, but personally, I have always liked that about him. This book feels more consistent with sci-fi of the time and less uniquely PKD.

As I was thinking about what I wanted to write about this book, I realized this would be a great choice for a movie adaptation. We all know how much Hollywood loves Dick, and this one comes pre-loaded with action: a robot assassin, flights to the moon, high speed chases, people getting shot in the face, etc., etc. Of course, not I'm going to spend the rest of the day obsessing over who should play Leon Cartwright. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
For the sake of full disclosure: I am a huge Philip K. Dick fan. I think [b:Valis|216377|VALIS|Philip K. Dick|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255642705s/216377.jpg|23607] is one of the great novels of the 21st century. I think Dick's short stories are imaginative and well suited to his almost fractured writing style.

Unfortunately, Solar Lottery just failed to deliver. It came so close that as I reached the last page I wondered if two chapters had been ripped out of the edition I was reading. No such luck. ( )
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
I didn't care for all the "Thank God" and "Oh, God../Oh, Jesus.." remarks. They felt really out of place.
I also find it curious that all of Phil's (at least earlier work) male characters seem entirely indifferent towards the female characters. ( )
  MartinEdasi | Oct 19, 2013 |
Again, I don't want to give too much away with this book, I like going into PKD's books with as little knowledge about them as possible. To sumarize a little, the leader of Earth and it's colonies is elected by a random lottery system. Though the previous leader has the chance to take back the position. We start this book with one such change in power occuring.

I wasn't aware of how much earlier this book was written in comparison to other PKD books when I bought it and read through most of it. I really, really enjoyed it and how I wasn't sure what would happen next. By the time I finished it I was a bit sad it hadn't been made in to a film yet. I would love to see this on the big screen, especially the character of Mr. Pellig. I hope it's something I can see in my lifetime. After reading this book I'm definitely more curious about PKD's earlier novels. ( )
  princess_mischa | Feb 14, 2013 |

Philip K. Dickprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Vries, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moisan, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soyka, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There had been harbingers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 009905700X, Mass Market Paperback)

1st Arrow edition paperback vg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

The year is 2203, and the ruler of the Universe is chosen according to the random laws of a strange game under the control of Quizmaster Verrick. But when Ted Bentley, a research technician recently dismissed from his job, signs on to work for Verrick, he has no idea Leon Cartwright is about to become the new Quizmaster. Nor does he know that he's about to play an integral part in the plot to assassinate Cartwight so that Verrick can resume leadership of a universe as random as it appears.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible