Season for Surrender by Theresa Romain

Season for Surrender (edition 2012)

by Theresa Romain

Member:julienne_preacher
Title:Season for Surrender
Authors:Theresa Romain
Info:Zebra Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 352 pages
Collections:E-books, 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, historical romance, house parties, betting, rakes, libraries, codes, Christmas

Season for Surrender by Theresa Romain

When I saw the gorgeous cover I was immediately drawn to Season for Surrender. While not part of a series, this book tells the tale of Louisa Oliver a character from Romain’s first novel a Season of Temptation. I found the cast of character’s attending the Christmas House party of Alexander Edgeware, Lord Xavier to be absolutely delightful. I quickly consumed this and walked away feeling good.

The ton and the wager books at White’s say Alexander Edgeware, Lord Xavier is a rogue and rumors of his escapades are the gossip of the ton. Alex does nothing to dissuade the tons opinion and in fact has a whole list of facial expressions he imposes on them. His cousin Lockwood makes a wager for 10 pounds that Alex cannot get a bluestocking to attend his Christmas House party and remain the full two weeks. He even goes so far as to name the woman, Lady Louisa Oliver. While Alex protests a woman’s reputation is worth more than a wager, he cannot help but accept. After all Lord Xavier never loses a bet. The tale that unfolds is filled with humor, sexual tension, a villain and an unexpected romance.

I must say Romain created characters I came to adore. Alex is a complete rogue (well at least that is what the ton has been led to believe). Getting to know the man behind the facial expressions was delightful. I found him to be completely swoon-worthy. Louisa Oliver is smarty, witty, quiet and looking for an adventure. I immediately connected with this little book lover. I loved that a library could make her swoon. She believes her season for a husband has passed but her feisty Aunt Estella has other ideas. I adored this melding, sharp tongue, opinionated woman. Other guests at the party were entertaining. I really liked Jane and hope she will get her own book. The villain was deliciously evil and created tension.

The pacing of the romance was off. It took too long for things to develop and kept this from achieving five cups of coffee. I loved the setting, and the steamy library scenes. The characters were all delightful and kept me reading, as I truly liked them. It was the getting them from point A to point B, and the constant hot and cold between Alex and Louisa that drove me batty. Just when I thought they had had a moment, they would have a setback. Perhaps it was intentional by the author to create tension, however this part of the plot frustrated me. When things finally began to progress..oh-la-la! I liked Romain’s writing style and her ability to bring her characters to life. I can just picture Alex's array of facial expressions and cannot help but giggle even as I write this. She provided wonderful detail and I developed a beautiful image of the house and its guests. The last quarter of the book was the strongest, and I loved the ending.

Despite issues I really enjoyed Alex and Louisa's story. I recommend Season for Surrender to fans of historical romance, laced with humor and lovable characters.

I want to thank Kensington books for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
Review to follow. ( )
  Dbookwhore | Mar 30, 2013 |
I found this story to be pretty boring in all honesty. The book suffered greatly from a lack of pacing and the middle of the book meanders for quite some time. I, never at anytime, felt that the main characters had nothing but only the slightest of obstacles to overcome. For me, this lead to the feeling that the story lacked urgency and excitement. The pairing of the two main characters, the Earl of Xavier and Louisa Oliver, felt rather lackluster and comfortable. Kind of like an old shoe. The dialogue wasn't anything to write home about, and the evil villain comes across as stupid and petulant. He never showed any sort of depth of character. Which, I suppose, is somewhat understandable.. but just added to my feeling that the story was somehow lacking. The ending does pick up the pace somewhat, but I never felt like that made up for the beginning and middle parts of the story. ( )
  Readsalot81 | Mar 30, 2013 |
My first by this author, I'm sorry to say I found this book to be dull and uninteresting. The original premise is about two Regency gentlemen who have nothing better to do with themselves than act like rakes and make wagers in the big betting book at White's. They make a bet that Xavier (our hero, who has a secret passion for reading Dante) can't get an infamous bluestocking spinster to come to his annual bawdy Christmas house party without damaging her reputation - or something close to it. Frankly, I got a little confused. Xavier falls for her, and his cousin, the other one in the wager, tries to do everything he can to soil her reputation, while Xavier is trying to save it, even though all he "really" wants to do is get her somewhere where he can "ruin" her! She was dull as dishwater and he wasn't much better although handsome - as we are told over and over again. Glad I finally finished this, but what a slog! Lovely cover, though. ( )
  ktleyed | Dec 3, 2012 |

To win a wager, Lord Xavier must convince proper Louisa Oliver to attend his famously naughty Christmas house party and is pleasantly surprised when she, more intrigued than insulted, decides to teach him a thing or two about being daring.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,729,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible