Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse

Stuck Rubber Baby (original 1995; edition 2000)

by Howard Cruse

322None34,221 (4.12)6
Member:token0
Title:Stuck Rubber Baby
Authors:Howard Cruse
Info:DC Comics (2000), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 216 pages
Collections:Read, eBooks

Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse (1995)

Howard Cruse is a master in the cross-hatching technique and I only wish that the book could have been bigger so that I could have seen more of his beautiful, amazingly detailed work. The writing is solid and the plot is excellent too: a young man coming to terms with his sexuality during the Civil Rights era in the deep south of the USA. This is the best graphic novel I have ever read. ( )
  EnidaV | Apr 16, 2014 |
A dense, gripping and often moving account of one young gay man's social and sexual awakening in racially-torn 1960s America. ( )
  salimbol | Sep 16, 2013 |
Really loved this, surprisingly long graphic novel, dealing with a young man growing up in the deeply conservative South, immersed in a progressive community that is fighting for rights for blacks and other minorities. He is also trying to fend off the possibility that he may himself be be gay. Astonishingly honest and beautifully drawn, I have never read anything quite like this. ( )
  Matt_B | Sep 1, 2013 |
Worth it for the art, definitely, and the writing is good.

Can I just say that I hate dialect, though? Especially the way dialect is done in traditional comic format - tho' and an'? I know these folks are from the south. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Worth it for the art, definitely, and the writing is good.

usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Stuck Rubber Baby is truly a novel told through the unique combination of words and pictures that makes the comics medium so fascinating. Its scope is astounding, its wide variety of characters memorable, and its events thought-provoking.

Howard Cruseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

For Pam,

and

(as always)

For Eddie
Looking back, I didn't see all that many dead bodies when I was a kid growing up in the south...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060977132, Paperback)

A truly eye-opening comic. The story is set in the South in the early '60s and deals with homophobia, racism and the gay subculture of that period. The art is absolutely beautiful; Cruse is a master of the cross-hatching technique, which gives a certain "texture" to his art work and brings his pages to life. Stuck Rubber Baby is easily the most important comic book since Art Spiegelman's Maus.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:13 -0400)

As Toland Polk, a citizen of the small southern town of Clayfield in the 1960s, fights for civil rights, he begins to realize that he has another, more personal, battle to wage--that of accepting that he is gay.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible