Nasreddine by Odile Weulersse

Nasreddine (edition 2013)

by Odile Weulersse, Rbecca Dautremer (Illustrator)

Member:laurensx
Title:Nasreddine
Authors:Odile Weulersse
Other authors:Rbecca Dautremer (Illustrator)
Info:Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:****1/2

Nasreddine by Odile Weulersse

Summary:
The traditional styled book "Nasreddine" by Odile Weulersse is a story about a boy and his father and about how the son does everything he can to get his dad approve, but later on, learns that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of him and it is a good thing to be different and unique.
Personal Reaction:
This is a really good story to teach students to always be themselves and that being unique is a good thing. I love the artwork. I would definitely read this book to my students.
Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students do arts and craft and make anything they want to teach them about how everyone thinks differently.
2. I would make up a lesson plan about kindness and why being themselves is a good thing.
  JessicaHerriage21 | Feb 12, 2017 |
A handsomely illustrated, fun tale about a wise fool taken from Middle Eastern folklore. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
This book was about a little boy that wanted to please everyone in the village. After trying so hard to please everyone and hush their comments, Nasreddine's father teaches him that people always find a way to criticize you but you just have to ignore it. This book was set in the Middle East, so it shows Turkish culture throughout the book. ( )
  sottallah | Feb 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Summary:
Nesreddine has a traditional literature feel and carries the message to be unique and to avoid the desire to change themselves to please others. The book features a boy and his father. Their relationship is quite caring and supportive while delivering the main message, “You can’t be afraid that other people will judge you or make fun of you.”

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed the story and the illustrations. The fact that the book is set in the Middle East makes it an especially exciting addition to my library as I procure international and multicultural literature.

Classroom Activities:
1. In the classroom, we can discuss unique talents and gifts of the children, emphasizing that we need those diverse talents to make our classroom better.
2. We can locate the Middle East on a map and discuss the setting of the story.
  StephanieWhite | May 9, 2014 |
Nasreddine is an excellent book with an insightful meaning. It describes the life of Nasreddine, a little boy from the Middle East, who is very worried about what people think of him. I really enjoyed the book because I felt like I was reading a parable. This is because the story has a very simple, yet powerful meaning just like the stories Jesus tells in the bible. All throughout the story Nasreddine is trying to appease the opinions of his peers by adjusting his behavior to fit their standards. Nasreddine’s father allows him to do this throughout the majority of the book. Nasreddine’s father is a very wise man who eventually enlightens his son on the dangers of listening to others instead of trusting yourself. Nasreddine’s father tells his son that people will always find a way to criticize him but that it is up to him to decide whether their criticism is wise or not. The story ends by Nasreddine saying “You can’t be afraid that other people will judge you or make fun of you.” These wise words are the “big idea” of the story. They tell children to not be afraid to be themselves and to ignore people who citizen them out of foolishness.
  MaryBethLingner | Sep 30, 2013 |

Odile Weulersseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dautremer, RébeccaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

As Nasreddine and his father take dates, wool, chickens, or watermelon to market, people tease them no matter who is riding their donkey, and this causes Nasreddine embarrassment until his father helps him to understand.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Nasreddine by Odile Weulersse was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible