Nasreddine by Odile Weulersse

Nasreddine (edition 2013)

by Odile Weulersse, Rbecca Dautremer (Illustrator)

Member:laurensx
Title:Nasreddine
Authors:Odile Weulersse
Other authors:Rbecca Dautremer (Illustrator)
Info:Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:****1/2

Nasreddine by Odile Weulersse

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Summary:
Nesreddine has a traditional literature feel and carries the message to be unique and to avoid the desire to change themselves to please others. The book features a boy and his father. Their relationship is quite caring and supportive while delivering the main message, “You can’t be afraid that other people will judge you or make fun of you.”

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed the story and the illustrations. The fact that the book is set in the Middle East makes it an especially exciting addition to my library as I procure international and multicultural literature.

Classroom Activities:
1. In the classroom, we can discuss unique talents and gifts of the children, emphasizing that we need those diverse talents to make our classroom better.
2. We can locate the Middle East on a map and discuss the setting of the story.
  StephanieWhite | May 9, 2014 |
Nasreddine is an excellent book with an insightful meaning. It describes the life of Nasreddine, a little boy from the Middle East, who is very worried about what people think of him. I really enjoyed the book because I felt like I was reading a parable. This is because the story has a very simple, yet powerful meaning just like the stories Jesus tells in the bible. All throughout the story Nasreddine is trying to appease the opinions of his peers by adjusting his behavior to fit their standards. Nasreddine’s father allows him to do this throughout the majority of the book. Nasreddine’s father is a very wise man who eventually enlightens his son on the dangers of listening to others instead of trusting yourself. Nasreddine’s father tells his son that people will always find a way to criticize him but that it is up to him to decide whether their criticism is wise or not. The story ends by Nasreddine saying “You can’t be afraid that other people will judge you or make fun of you.” These wise words are the “big idea” of the story. They tell children to not be afraid to be themselves and to ignore people who citizen them out of foolishness.
  MaryBethLingner | Sep 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have a fondness for fables and folktales because they tend to be passed down for generations and offer up wise lessons for children. Nasreddine is a story that is said to have originated in Turkey and been spread throughout the Middle East and beyond. I first heard a version of it via my favorite storyteller, Josie Bailey. Her version was hysterical because she had the adults acting it out. It was also shorter because the entire story took place on one trip to the market rather than several.

This version was well-done but not as humorous. It was still quite good though. I particularly liked the illustrations with their soft earth tones and Middle Eastern flavor. The lesson learned about not listening to the criticisms of everyone is a good one. “You can’t be afraid that other people will judge you or make fun of you.” ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | May 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Amazingly beautiful illustrations help to tell the traditional story of a boy who listens to too many people instead of choosing to think for himself, and his loving father, who helps him along the way.

Young children will easily be able to associate with the concepts shared within these pages. Who among us has not spent time wishing that they hadn't overheard what someone had said about them? How many times to we fuss about our appearance because we want to be accepted? The modern phrasing of words "hurting our ears" blends perfectly with a story of more historical value and becomes something that children will ask you to read to them again and again.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. ( )
  mirrani | Apr 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I LOVE THE ILLUSTRATIONS!!! Wow, the children will definitely enjoy the rich colors and detailed pictures that Rebecca Dautremer has created for this book. This would be a great mentor text for an Art teacher to utilize in the classroom.

As for the story, Weulersse does a nice job of portraying the Middle Eastern culture in a positive way to school-aged children. He helps the reader understand the differences, as well as similarities, for children living in different countries. This story will definitely create discussion among students...not only about the Middle East but also about teasing, gossip, and criticism. This is a book that I will be sharing with my students and staff! ( )
  lindsayallen | Mar 2, 2013 |

Odile Weulersseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dautremer, RébeccaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

As Nasreddine and his father take dates, wool, chickens, or watermelon to market, people tease them no matter who is riding their donkey, and this causes Nasreddine embarrassment until his father helps him to understand.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Nasreddine by Odile Weulersse was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible