The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula by…

The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula (edition 2005)

by Tim Lucas

Member:PolymathicMonkey
Title:The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula
Authors:Tim Lucas
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, c2005.
Collections:Your library, Read, Read and owned, Connectivity!
Tags:fiction, 21st century, author:American, location:England, genre:horror, vampire, genre:fantasy, mashup, read:2012

The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula by Tim Lucas

This was an entertaining fast-paced read, that I think all Dracula lovers should appreciate. I think Lucas did a nice job of capturing Stoker's voice for Steward, I could very much feel that I was reading the same character I knew previously. I don't know that I find Renfield as convincing of someone from the same novel & time period, which I would imagine is due to the fact that Renfield has large significance but very small of a part in Dracula, so Lucas was not able to pull him from the source as well. But I still found it fully enjoyable. He uses the source to flesh out this other part of the adventure that we were not privy to in Dracula, and while Renfield's story may be a bit fantastical, his lunacy makes it so that we can accept what he says as true to him, at least, so it works. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Dec 30, 2012 |
Not as good as I wanted it to be, but, with that said, great background info on Renfield-why he ended up in Carfax Asylum, how he can to be involved with Dracula. It was mainly the parts that about Dr. Seward that I really did not find all that interesting. If you are a fan of Dracula this references alot of the characters and there are tidbits of info about some of them you don't get it Dracula. The book takes on a "real" quality; in fact in the afterwords explains that 'The Book of Renfield is a warning to modern readers who, in their comfort and compacency, have forgotten that Evil once walked the earth and can return at any time-in fact, it may have never really gone away." Not all I had hoped for, but intriguing none-the-less. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Feb 8, 2010 |
I always liked Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Dr. Seward and Renfield were probably my two favorite characters from that book, so when I saw this novel I had to pick it up.

Written in the same style as Dracula, the book tells the story of the patient Renfield, including his history before he came to Seward's asylum.

It is a very interesting story about a very interesting character. Not recommended unless you've already read (and liked) Dracula, though. The books gives excerpts from Dracula to get you up to speed, but I think a lot of the affect would be lost if you didn't know the story behind it.

One of the better books I've read recently. Very enjoyable. ( )
  ajcrowley05 | Oct 8, 2008 |
I truly wish I could give this the glowing review that those people on Amazon gave the book. Yes, it was a welcome addition to my vampire-books library, but there were times when I thought I'd just chuck it.

The author, Tim Lucas, sets his story to tell the story of Renfield, you know, the guy who ate flies and small animals who eventually made it into Carfax Asylum and was Dracula's henchman in England. Most of the story is Renfield's narrative of his own life from the time he was abandoned as an infant then found by a local vicar Mr. Renfield, augmented by the journal of Dr. Seward, who runs the Carfax asylum and the words of Bram Stoker himself from his novel Dracula. Count Dracula himself rarely makes an appearance here, and while the story is engrossing at times, it just didn't have the oomph I was expecting.

If you're a reader of vampire stories, you'll want to read it. ( )
  bcquinnsmom | May 10, 2006 |
The ravings of the mad are the secrets of God. -Bram Stoker
For my lady, also for Lori Perkins and Allyson Edelhertz Peltier, my midwives, who spent years believing and pacing and keeping the water aboil for this books's delivery; for my dead father and absent mother; for my unwitting co-author, Mr. Bram Stoker-and, because he would want it that way, for Hommy-Beg; for the Pets whose companionship has enriched my life over the years, and whose names (to date) are scattered through-out this text as a sign of my affection; for Dwight Frye, Thorley Walters, Klaus Kinski, and Peter MacNicol, whose portrayals were particularly inspirational; and with theanks to Kim Newman, Anca Vlasopolos, and Richard Harland Smith for their valuable counsel and contributions.
R.M.R. - I'll be quiet, Doctor.

When we first meet Renfield in Dracula, he is a tortured soul in decline, a fly-gobbling, Scripture-quoting lunatic who acts as a haunted harbinger of Dracula's arrival in England. At the novel's climax, readers discover that Renfield, under restraint in the asylum of Dr. John Seward, has been in psychic communication with Dracula all along, acting as his eyes and ears in expectation of unspeakable rewards.

Now, in an ingenious work of fiction, author Tim Lucas at last brings Renfield's own story to light. The Book of Renfield is a collection of the long-lost private diaries, professional journals, and wax-cylinder recordings that comprise Dr. Seward's obsessive study of Renfield. Featuring appearances by many of the characters from the original Dracula, Lucas's novel takes on the frighteningly realistic tone of a textual documentary as it illuminates the warped consciousness of Renfield and reveals, through a series of stories from his childhood, how this poor unfortunate was predisposed to become the ideal portal for evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:31 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible