Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules…

Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules

by David Sedaris (Editor)

Other authors: Charles Baxter (Contributor), Frank Gannon (Contributor), Amy Hempel (Contributor), Patricia Highsmith (Contributor), Tim Johnston (Contributor)14 more, Jhumpa Lahiri (Contributor), Katherine Mansfield (Contributor), Lorrie Moore (Contributor), Alice Munro (Contributor), Flannery O'Connor (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Dorothy Parker (Contributor), David Sedaris (Introduction), Akhil Sharma (Contributor), Jean Thompson (Contributor), Sarah Vowell (Contributor), Jincy Willett (Contributor), Tobias Wolff (Contributor), Richard Yates (Contributor)

A lovely collection of David Sedaris' favorite short stories, featuring Richard Yates, Charles Baxter, Jhumpa Lahiri, Katherine Mansfield, Alice Munro, Jean Thompson, Frank Gannon, Patricia Highsmith, Jincy Willett, Dorothy Parker, Joyce Carol Oates, Lorrie Moore, Flannery O'Connor, Amy Hempel, Akhil Sharma, Tim Johnston, and Tobias Wolff.

As Sedaris says in the introduction, "stories can save you." ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
short stories ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
I love David Sedaris and I went to see him live... he recommended some books to read and then I found this collection he compiled. I am not a huge fan of short stories. I like them only if the story completes itself and isn't all about symbolism and themes. A few stories I loved and some I couldn't get into (... borderline hated). If you like short stories, David Sedaris is a great author with excellent taste and I am sure this compilation will not disappoint. If not, go into it realizing it's what it is... that's what got me through it. Thankfully there were a few stories to make the book worthwhile. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
A friend gave me this, as we are both Sedaris fans. None of this is his work (save the introduction, which was on par with most of his better essays), but I decided to trust his judgment and try something new. As with most collections, the stories were of varying quality.

Where the Door is Always Open and the Welcome Mat is Out by Patricia Highsmith, read by Cherry Jones: Mildred is rushing around frantically to prepare for her sister Edith’s visit. The reader was great, but the story itself was pretty boring. Maybe it was because I just wasn’t all that interested in the characters, or maybe because all the minutia felt excessively detailed.

Bullet In the Brain by Tobias Wolff, read by Toby Wherry: A fascinating little vignette that stretches out an instant of time into a fully coherent narrative, and it ended at just the right spot too.

Gryphon by Charles Baxter, read by David Sedaris: A new substitute teacher with crazy ideas. Sedaris did an excellent job, which is kind of surprising since he tends to narrate in a sort of monotone, but somehow he managed to get across everything with subtle changes in pitch and inflection. Probably my favorite of the batch.

In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson Is Buried by Amy Hempel, read by Mary-Louise Parker: I’ll be perfectly honest here: I had a whole lot of trouble following this one. Maybe I was just distracted, but I have absolutely no idea what it was about.

Cosmopolitan written and read by Akhil Sharma: A somewhat strange tale about an older Indian man attempting to have an affair with his American neighbor. Sharma probably should not have read his own story, as his cadence tended toward the droning, but I still very much enjoyed the story, and the ending made me smile.

In all, not a bad collection. These are the sorts of stories we’d read in creative writing classes, which gave me weird flashbacks from time to time, but it was a nice break from the string of novels I’d been listening to lately. ( )
  melydia | Jun 13, 2011 |
for a book edited by David Sedaris, not overly funny. Having said that, I think I have found a few new authors to read. ( )
  traciolsen | Mar 13, 2011 |

Vowell, SarahContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willett, JincyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolff, TobiasContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yates, RichardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The audiobook with the same title contains unabridged readings of five selected stories from this volume. It should not be combined with this work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074327394X, Paperback)

A bestseller in its own right and a must-have for fans of the #1 bestselling author David Sedaris, a collection of his favorite short fiction.

David Sedaris is an exceptional reader. Alone in his apartment, he reads stories aloud to the point he has them memorized. Sometimes he fantasizes that he wrote them. Sometimes, when they’re his very favorite stories, he’ll fantasize about reading them in front of an audience and taking credit for them. The audience in these fantasies always loves him and gives him the respect he deserves.

David Sedaris didn’t write the stories in Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules . But he did read them. And he liked them enough to hand pick them for this collection of short fiction. Featuring such notable writers as Lorrie Moore, Alice Munro, Joyce Carol Oates, Jean Thompson, and Tobias Wolff, Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules includes some of the most influential and talented short story writers, contemporary and classic.

Perfect for fans who suffer from Sedaris fever, Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules will tide them over and provide relief.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

A collection of contemporary and classical short fiction works includes pieces by such writers as Alice Munro, Tobias Wolff, and Joyce Carol Oates.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,501,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible