Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

Dry: A Memoir (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Augusten Burroughs

Member:tamarajp
Title:Dry: A Memoir
Authors:Augusten Burroughs
Info:Picador (2004), Paperback, 320 pages

Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs (2003)

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (tashtashtash)
    Tweak : (growing up on methamphetamines) by Nic Sheff (tashtashtash)
    When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: These two nonfiction books deal with giving up a vice (alcohol and, to a lesser extent, drugs for Burroughs; cigarettes for Sedaris) and both do so with dark humor scattered throughout their memoirs. That being said, Sedaris's work is more funny than serious while the opposite is true for Burroughs's. Also, Sedaris's book is largely short stories/vignettes while Burroughs's follows a more traditional narrative. Both men are homosexual and that plays some factor in their books, although it's not the overarching story and/or theme.… (more)
    Hooked: Five Addicts Challenge Our Misguided Drug Rehab System by Lonny Shavelson (meggyweg)
    Lolito by Ben Brooks (mediapuzzle)
    mediapuzzle: There are some parallels between these novels around people out of control and using alcohol. Funny and serious at the same time.

English (80)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (81)
This book wasn't nearly as good as his first. The humor is lacking and his adult life story, although entertaining, was sad but without the dark and biting humor of his first memoir. I would recommend it only for those who have read the first book and want to find out how he ended up, which was also a bit disappointing. Overall, the writing style is lacking in quality and the story is one that can't add up to his other work. He is no David Sedaris! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Wow. Burroughs' life is...messed up. This is the story of his...addiction to alcohol (et al), how he went to rehab, and how he relapsed...but then got back on track.

I must say, this is a book that kept me wanting to read more and more. Burroughs's life is one I am sad that anyone has had to live. And yet, what I think is the most appealing about his stories is that he is not welled up in depression. He is frank and open about his feelings...and despite his faults (shallowness, alcoholism), I can't help but root him on. I want him to succeed, and I was crushed when he relapsed.

A good read, for sure. ( )
1 vote csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

A good read, for sure. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. The ending is heart wrenching for sure. I would give this book 4 1/2 stars if Goodreads allowed it.

He has a great writing style and is a king at similes. ( )
  Blakelybennett | Jan 30, 2014 |
I always tell myself don't start anything by Augusten Burroughs when you have some place to be. Yep, forgot about lunch and my afternoon plans to knock this one out. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
In memory of George Stathakis / For my brother / And for Dennis
Sometimes when you work in advertising you'll get a product that's really garbage and you have to make it seem fantastic, something that is essential to the continued quality of life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312423799, Paperback)

Fans of Augusten Burroughs's darkly funny memoir Running with Scissors were left wondering at the end of that book what would become of young Augusten after his squalid and fascinating childhood ended. In Dry, we find that although adult Augusten is doing well professionally, earning a handsome living as an ad writer for a top New York agency, Burroughs's personal life is a disaster. His apartment is a sea of empty Dewar's bottles, he stays out all night boozing, and he dabs cologne on his tongue in an unsuccessful attempt to mask the stench of alcohol on his breath at work. When his employer insists he seek help, Burroughs ships out to Minnesota for detoxification, counseling, and amusingly told anecdotes about the use of stuffed animals in group therapy. But after a month of such treatment, he's back in Manhattan and tenuously sober. And while its one thing to lay off the sauce in rehab, Burroughs learns that it's quite another to resume your former life while avoiding the alcohol that your former life was based around. This quest to remain sober is made dramatically more difficult, and the tale more harrowing, when Burroughs begins an ill-advised romance with a crack addict. Certainly the "recovered alcoholic fighting to stay sober" tale is not new territory for a memoirist. But Burroughs's account transcends clichés: it doesn't adhere to the traditional "temptation narrowly resisted" storyline and it features, in Burroughs himself, a central character that is sympathetic even when he's neither likable nor admirable. But what ultimately makes this memoir such a terrific read is a brilliant and candid sense of humor that manages to stay dry even when recalling events where the author was anything but. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

An advertising executive remembers his childhood with his eccentric foster family and his early adulthood experiences of trying to establish an independent life for himself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,922,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible