The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Lost World (original 1912; edition 1912)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

Member:sturlington
Title:The Lost World
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Public domain, E-book
Collections:Read but unowned, Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (1912)

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (Rynooo, Polenth)
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    Dinosaur Summer by Greg Bear (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Dinosaur Summer is a continuation of Doyle's The Lost World
    The Land that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (chrisharpe)
    Green Mansions by W. H. Hudson (chrisharpe)
    The Poison Belt by Arthur Conan Doyle (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also features the same characters.
    The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier (chrisharpe)

English (50)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
I was inspired to read this after reading David Grann's The Lost City of Z, in which Grann states that The Lost World was inspired by Percy Fawcett's earlier expeditions. It took a while for me to pick it up, but once I did, it sucked me right into its world. The story is told as a series of despatches written by Mr Malone, a young journalist who wants to get his first big scoop and ends up on an expedition to Professor Challenger's "Lost World". The sights they see and creatures they encounter are truly incredible. I also enjoyed the interactions between the various expedition members, especially the bickering professors, although the casual racism toward the non-white members of the expedition was cringe-inducing (especially in the large print edition, which made for some uncomfortable bus reading at those points). But the adventure parts, and the sheer galloping pace at which I ended up reading the book, won me over and that is the reason for my four-star rating. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Dec 11, 2014 |
The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a model for adventure stories in science fiction. The book influenced Michael Crichton in his creation of the LOST WORLD (Jurassic Park).
Edward Malone, a reporter for the Daily Gazette, but finds no real excitement in his role. Ed wants to woo Gladys, but Gladys wants to marry a romantic hero. Gladys does not see Ed as a knightly figure, at least not yet. So Ed must find his romantic quest in the name of his beauty Gladys.
Questions Doyle poses are: will Ed come home a hero? Will this quest earn the right to Gladys’s love? What lost world will Ed find in the Amazon? And what about the dinosaurs and the primitive humans, will he find the missing link?
The book was published in 1912, and exhibits the world of Victorian Empire on the move. British empire was attempting to find “a dreamland of glamour and romance, a land where we had dared much, suffered much, and learned much—OUR land, as we shall ever fondly call it.*” Caveat lector, the ideas of the Victorian Era are not of our own, and may offend those with politically correct notions.
But this book is a great adventure and I believe a good book for young readers.

*Doyle, Arthur Conan (2011-03-30). The Lost World (Kindle Locations 2705-2706). Kindle Edition.

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
But this book is a great adventure and I believe a good book for young readers.

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
My First Experience with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World was the late 90s early 2000s syndicated television show. That was pretty light and really unbelievable. This was not.

I really liked this book. I do not, however, understand the characters desire to keep their discovers a secret. Some the descriptions as to how the Lost World is inaccessible I think could use some improvement too. Like most books, I think that reading this would be better than listening, but I didn't' like it enough to buy a copy to read. ( )
  fulner | Nov 24, 2014 |
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |

Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCready, GlenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who's half a man,
Or the man who's half a boy.
[None]
Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centred upon his own silly self.

DINOSAURS

There was a brush-like growth upon the branch up which I was climbing. I leaned around it in order to see what was beyond and nearly fell out of the tree in horror.

A face was looking into mine!

The eyes were bestial and ferocious, and as the creature opened its mouth to snarl! I saw sharp, curved teeth. I twas a human face - far more human than any monkey's I had ever seen!
    Sub-Human Ape-Men

Deep in the heart of the jungle they found a prehistoric inferno. It was THE LOST WORLD, strange and frightening, filled with all the fury of the bloodiest era the earth eve knew.
    FLYING MONSTERS

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812967259, Paperback)

Forget the Michael Crichton book (and Spielberg movie) that copied the title. This is the original: the terror-adventure tale of The Lost World. Writing not long after dinosaurs first invaded the popular imagination, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spins a yarn about an expedition of two scientists, a big-game hunter, and a journalist (the narrator) to a volcanic plateau high over the vast Amazon rain forest. The bickering of the professors (a type Doyle knew well from his medical training) serves as witty contrast to the wonders of flora and fauna they encounter, building toward a dramatic moonlit chase scene with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. And the character of Professor George E. Challenger is second only to Sherlock Holmes in the outrageous force of his personality: he's a big man with an even bigger ego, and if you can grit your teeth through his racist behavior toward Native Americans, he's a lot of fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

Two scientists, a big game hunter, and a journalist travel to the Amazon rain forest. On a volcanic plateau, they discover an isolated world still inhabited by dinosaurs, climaxing in a chase scene with a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible