The Lost World and Other Stories (Wordsworth…

The Lost World and Other Stories (Wordsworth Classics) Paperback (original 1912; edition 1995)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Title:The Lost World and Other Stories (Wordsworth Classics) Paperback
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Wordsworth Classic (1995), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Ciencia ficción
Tags:novela, ciencia ficción, propio

The lost world by Arthur Conan Doyle (1912)

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (Rynooo, Polenth)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    Dinosaur Summer by Greg Bear (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Dinosaur Summer is a continuation of Doyle's The Lost World
    The land that time forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (chrisharpe)
    Green Mansions by W. H. Hudson (chrisharpe)
    The Poison Belt by Arthur Conan Doyle (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also features the same characters.
    The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier (chrisharpe)

English (53)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (59)
The Lost World is a science fiction novel without much actual science to it, which shouldn’t be that surprising considering that it was written by one of the time’s premier mystery writers. It’s really more an adventure tale than anything, and has quite a bit of interesting elements to it. A group of Englishmen travel to uncharted territory to an area from a bygone era. They travel to South America to find a land that has not only dinosaurs but also a race of prehistoric man. The group included the intrepid reporter looking for adventure, the skeptical professor, the professor who takes life by the horns in hopes of new discovery, and a British lord who is your basic big game hunter type.

There were a lot of aspects that I like about this novel, mostly the characters and the adventure portion of it. It had a real trailblazing feel to it, which I’m sure worked well for the time in which it was written. On the down side, there were some latent racism in the way Doyle handles the “negroes” and natives to the land, even the prehistoric men. There was also a distinct lack of female characters in the novel, which could have added something to it. I also felt that the writing kept the reader at a distance rather than involving them in the action. All together, this novel was enjoyable but not one that resonates.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Sep 7, 2015 |
Read a few times as a teen and then again a few years ago. Rousing good adventure, what ho? Rich commentary on evolution and race, too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Crackerjack story, pretty plain looking hardcover book. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 24, 2015 |
A timeless adventure story

There are many reasons why this book is often considered to be a classic. The descriptive and intimate way that the story is told, the interpersonal relationships between the memorable characters and the underlying thread of humor which weaves through the tale, will guarantee it a place in collectors' bookshelves for many years to come. ( )
  Mozzie | Jan 15, 2015 |
I was inspired to read this after reading David Grann's The Lost City of Z, in which Grann states that The Lost World was inspired by Percy Fawcett's earlier expeditions. It took a while for me to pick it up, but once I did, it sucked me right into its world. The story is told as a series of despatches written by Mr Malone, a young journalist who wants to get his first big scoop and ends up on an expedition to Professor Challenger's "Lost World". The sights they see and creatures they encounter are truly incredible. I also enjoyed the interactions between the various expedition members, especially the bickering professors, although the casual racism toward the non-white members of the expedition was cringe-inducing (especially in the large print edition, which made for some uncomfortable bus reading at those points). But the adventure parts, and the sheer galloping pace at which I ended up reading the book, won me over and that is the reason for my four-star rating. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Dec 11, 2014 |

Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCready, GlenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who's half a man,
Or the man who's half a boy.
Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centred upon his own silly self.

There was a brush-like growth upon the branch up which I was climbing. I leaned around it in order to see what was beyond and nearly fell out of the tree in horror.

A face was looking into mine!

The eyes were bestial and ferocious, and as the creature opened its mouth to snarl! I saw sharp, curved teeth. I twas a human face - far more human than any monkey's I had ever seen!
    Sub-Human Ape-Men

Deep in the heart of the jungle they found a prehistoric inferno. It was THE LOST WORLD, strange and frightening, filled with all the fury of the bloodiest era the earth eve knew.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812967259, Paperback)

Forget the Michael Crichton book (and Spielberg movie) that copied the title. This is the original: the terror-adventure tale of The Lost World. Writing not long after dinosaurs first invaded the popular imagination, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spins a yarn about an expedition of two scientists, a big-game hunter, and a journalist (the narrator) to a volcanic plateau high over the vast Amazon rain forest. The bickering of the professors (a type Doyle knew well from his medical training) serves as witty contrast to the wonders of flora and fauna they encounter, building toward a dramatic moonlit chase scene with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. And the character of Professor George E. Challenger is second only to Sherlock Holmes in the outrageous force of his personality: he's a big man with an even bigger ego, and if you can grit your teeth through his racist behavior toward Native Americans, he's a lot of fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Two scientists, a big game hunter, and a journalist travel to the Amazon rain forest. On a volcanic plateau, they discover an isolated world still inhabited by dinosaurs, climaxing in a chase scene with a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100860, 1400109264

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,707,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible