The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Lost World (original 1912; edition 1962)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)

2,309None2,733 (3.66)96
Member:dragonasbreath
Title:The Lost World
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)
Info:Pyramid
Collections:Your library, Mystery, Classics, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Dinosaur, Adventure, South America, Ape Man

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (1912)

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (Rynooo, Polenth)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    Dinosaur Summer by Greg Bear (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Dinosaur Summer is a continuation of Doyle's The Lost World
    The Land that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (chrisharpe)
    The Poison Belt by Arthur Conan Doyle (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also features the same characters.
    Green Mansions by W. H. Hudson (chrisharpe)
    The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier (chrisharpe)

English (42)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (48)
A free audiobook is available at https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Feb 18, 2014 |
Well-written and well-told. The characters were engaging and the scenes vivid, and I was definitely pulled in. But the protagonists' decisions at a certain point became disturbing, and I'm not convinced that the author didn't mean to endorse such decisions or the ideologies driving them. ( )
  Amy.Scott | Nov 21, 2013 |
A young journalist, Edward Malone, is looking for adventure. He meets with Professor Challenger who claims that a prehistoric lost world exists on a plateau in South America. During a raucous meeting at the Zoological Institute Hall, Challenger presents his controversial evidence. A fellow zoologist, Mr. Summerlee, refutes Challenger’s claims and calls for an expedition to verify his assertions with two members of the audience volunteering to accompany Summerlee; Edward Malone and British sportsman Lord John Roxton. After arriving in the Amazon they are surprised by Challenger who bullies his way into the exploration party. Using drawings made by a lost American adventurer named Chapel White and Challenger’s own recollections they find the plateau only to be stranded there by rebellious native porters.

The novel is written through the eyes of the young journalist. He writes letters home to his newspaper publisher. They are carried to civilization by trusted natives. The story is fast paced with a lot of action as they encounter one amazing creature after another.

Professor Challenger is the anti-thesis of Sherlock Holmes; Conan Doyle’s other more widely known character. Where Sherlock is described as tall and angular Challenger is stocky and bullish. Challenger is as egotistical as Sherlock but the great detective is more quietly British whereas the Professor is brash and assertive. Conan Doyle has said that he preferred the Challenger character to his famous detective.

I have read some reviews that claim the book is too racist. The depiction of their loyal black assistant is racist, but again this novel was originally written in 1912 and does show the imperialism of that time. I didn’t find it overly disturbing.

I enjoyed the novel and recommend it to anyone who is familiar with Arthur Conan Doyle’s style of writing or enjoys H. Rider Haggard and other turn of the Twentieth Century adventure authors. ( )
  craso | Jul 21, 2013 |
Most people when they think of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle think of his sleuth Sherlock Holmes and trusty sidekick Dr. Watson. (I’ll admit that I do, too.) But, Doyle wrote more than just mysteries. The Lost World is about Professor Challenger finding what he believed to be a plateau in an unexplored region of South America which still held living dinosaurs.

Challenger returns to England where, of course, no one believes there are actually still dinosaurs roaming the Earth. He enlists the help of a reporter who is trying to prove the woman he is in love with that he is more than just a measly reporter, a professor of Anatomy by the name of Summerlee, and Lord John Roxton a sportsman and traveler. Shortly after the crew was assembled they began their journey from England to South America and down the Amazon River.

Eventually they reach the point at which Challenger points out the great plateau. There is however no way to get up there as they only way up had been blocked off. After trial and error they find themselves on top of the plateau, trapped no less because of unforeseen events. They find though that Challenger was indeed correct. There were dinosaurs living on the plateau. There were also creatures, a cross between an ape and a human, which were smart and managed to capture Challenger and Summerlee.

It was during this capture that the crew found that there also happened to be a tribe of natives who lived on the plateau as well. The natives claim not to know of a way off the plateau, or don’t want to help the crew off (after many failed attempts). Eventually, a young native takes pity on them and shows them the way.

They make their way back to England with their findings and the reporter who wrote down an account of the entire trip to be put in to print. I think I’ll leave out the ending and make you read it if you are curious enough to want to find out.

While I enjoyed reading this book, it wasn’t quite different than what I was used to when reading Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes. Challenger and Holmes have many of the same qualities. I would say, however, if you liked Holmes than you should giveThe Lost World a read. ( )
  getrus | Apr 24, 2013 |
Allllllllll of the racism. Alllllllllllllll of the colonialism. Allllllllllllllll of the imperialism.

ALLLLLLLLLLLL of it.

I don't even know how to react to this. Like, I kind of want to request a Lord John/Ned fic for Yuletide (that ending, omg, so slashy), but on the other hand, this has so many horrible vile awful assumptions embedded into it that frankly I don't think there's a way to write against them (and if there is, it would take a king hell lot of skill and care, and I would not inflict that on someone for Yuletide) and I can't bear to read slashy adventurefic with this kind of horribleness in it. So.

Basically: shenanigans in the South American rainforest, narrated by a British cub reporter, with a gentleman explorer (Lord John), and two zoology professors, who hate each others' guts more than a little, trying to prove if there is a sekrit pocket of prehistoric animals hidden deep in the Amazon. Spoiler: there is. Further spoiler: there are also savages. You can probably extrapolate from there.

ETA: Which is not to say the shenanigans are not hilarious; this is a rip-roaring adventure yarn. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |

Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCready, GlenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who's half a man,
Or the man who's half a boy.
[None]
Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centred upon his own silly self.

DINOSAURS

There was a brush-like growth upon the branch up which I was climbing. I leaned around it in order to see what was beyond and nearly fell out of the tree in horror.

A face was looking into mine!

The eyes were bestial and ferocious, and as the creature opened its mouth to snarl! I saw sharp, curved teeth. I twas a human face - far more human than any monkey's I had ever seen!
    Sub-Human Ape-Men

Deep in the heart of the jungle they found a prehistoric inferno. It was THE LOST WORLD, strange and frightening, filled with all the fury of the bloodiest era the earth eve knew.
    FLYING MONSTERS

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812967259, Paperback)

Forget the Michael Crichton book (and Spielberg movie) that copied the title. This is the original: the terror-adventure tale of The Lost World. Writing not long after dinosaurs first invaded the popular imagination, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spins a yarn about an expedition of two scientists, a big-game hunter, and a journalist (the narrator) to a volcanic plateau high over the vast Amazon rain forest. The bickering of the professors (a type Doyle knew well from his medical training) serves as witty contrast to the wonders of flora and fauna they encounter, building toward a dramatic moonlit chase scene with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. And the character of Professor George E. Challenger is second only to Sherlock Holmes in the outrageous force of his personality: he's a big man with an even bigger ego, and if you can grit your teeth through his racist behavior toward Native Americans, he's a lot of fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

Two scientists, a big game hunter, and a journalist travel to the Amazon rain forest. On a volcanic plateau, they discover an isolated world still inhabited by dinosaurs, climaxing in a chase scene with a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Twelve editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible