Benjamin Franklin: The Autobiography and…

Benjamin Franklin: The Autobiography and Other Writings (Penguin Classics) (edition 1986)

by Benjamin Franklin, Kenneth A. Silverman (Contributor)

1,14247,160 (3.96)None
Member:pemeyer
Title:Benjamin Franklin: The Autobiography and Other Writings (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Benjamin Franklin
Other authors:Kenneth A. Silverman (Contributor)
Info:Penguin Classics (1986), Edition: Edition Unstated, Mass Market Paperback, 270 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

The Autobiography and Other Writings by Benjamin Franklin

This autobiography is written as a letter, once interrupted for a decade or more, to his son. As many people have pointed out during history, the author is inclined to only include the facts they want and from their point of view. A self-congratulatory tome, Benjamin Franklin has much for to be proud of himself. I enjoy his writing style and found this book to be interesting. ( )
  HistReader | Mar 7, 2012 |
I personally think that this was one of the best books that I have ever read. I do not think that everyone will agree with me but I love Benjamin Franklin. He is by far my favorite character from the American Revolution! This was my second time reading this book and it was much better the second time. I think that it had a lot to do with me being older and being able to relate to the things that Mr.Franklin talks about such as virtue, temperance and other things along those lines that you really just do not start to understand until you have a few years under your belt lol. This edition was also really cool because it is not only the autobiography but also other selected writings from Ben Franklin. Some of these letters and other short writings were really good and only serve to help the reader get a better understanding of some of the points that Franklin was getting at in his autobiography. I would recommend this book to anyone with a appreciation for history! ( )
1 vote keegopatrick | May 17, 2010 |
an inspiration. the language style can be a hard read at times. ( )
1 vote eugenios | Sep 1, 2009 |
An interesting autobiography of an interesting man, though he did seem kind of arrogant. ( )
  Redthing | Mar 25, 2007 |

Benjamin Franklinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benton, Thomas HartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leary, LewisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nye, Russel B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverman, KennethEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uslar-Pietri, ArturoIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140390529, Mass Market Paperback)

OTHER WRITINGS INCLUDE: A RECEIPT TO MAKE A NEW ENGLAND FUNERAL ELEGY; ADVICE TO A FRIEND ON CHOOSING A MISTRESS; THE SPEECH OF MISS POLLY BAKER; HOW TO SECURE HOUSES, &C. FROM LIGHTNING; THE KITE EXPERIMENT; THE WAY TO WEALTH; AN EDICT BY THE KING OF PRUSSIA; THE MORALS OF CHESS (EXCERPT); THE ELYSIAN FIELDS; INFORMATION TO THOSE WHO WOULD REMOVE TO AMERICA (EXCERPT); AN ADDRESS TO THE PUBLIC FROM THE PENNSYLVANIA SOCIETY FOR PROMOTING THE ABOLITION OF SLAVERY; A MISCELLANY OF FRANKLIN'S OPINIONS.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

One of the most popular works of American literature, this charming self-portrait has been translated into nearly every language. It covers Franklin's life up to his prewar stay in London as representative of the Pennsylvania Assembly, including his boyhood years, work as a printer, experiments with electricity, political career, much more.… (more)

Legacy Library: Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Benjamin Franklin's legacy profile.

See Benjamin Franklin's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible