Soul's Gate (A Well Spring Novel) by James…

Soul's Gate (A Well Spring Novel) (edition 2012)

by James L. Rubart

244443,774 (5)None
Member:Justjenniferreading
Title:Soul's Gate (A Well Spring Novel)
Authors:James L. Rubart
Info:Thomas Nelson (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Soul's Gate by James L. Rubart

NOTE: I received the book from Netgalley.

One word: POWERFUL!!!

Technically, Soul's Gate isn't considered a YA book. However, there's absolutely nothing adult in it, except the characters, so it's perfectly safe (and I even recommend it) for teens to read. It was a very very powerful book, that shattered me from the inside out and built me back again. It was INCREDIBLE!

In fact, let me share something with you - there were moments when my skin was crawling with goosebumps while I read. The power of the Spirit was so strong, it was dripping from each and every page. And when I finished the book, it felt like it had been I who'd gone on the journey inside a person's soul. I can't describe the feeling, but it was absolutely amazing! I'm sure going to reread it!

So, even though the author says the book was most of all about freedom, to me it felt like it was about trusting in the Lord beyond any reason. Trusting that He's always with us, always helping, always keeping us standing, no matter how difficult our situation is. True, freedom was among the main concepts, and I really did feel free after reading it.

Also, the entire novel spoke of how regrets, mistakes, hurt, people's words affect us as people; how even if we want to, the enemy never lets us forget that we'd sinned, that we still sin. But we must remember this: HE HAS FORGIVEN US. And that is enough. Amen.

If you want to delve into something so deep with the Spirit that you wouldn't want to get out of it, but jump even deeper, Soul's Gate is the book for you. It will bring you such a rush, you would never want to go back to real life. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
There was so much mystery surrounding this book. I couldn't put it down because there was so much that I wanted to know. Even after reading it all my questions weren't answered. Guess I'll have to wait for the next one.... And believe me I can't wait. This was an amazing book.

The whole premise that the fight between good and evil can take place in someone's soul was an idea that I had never thought of. So right from the start of the book I was intrigued as to how a battle could take place inside of a soul. It was interesting to see how that worked out. I also like the imagery that was used to describe what it was like being inside of a person's soul. We all have good places and bad places, light and dark places inside of us - and seeing how all those places turn into one seamless "world" was inspiring.

The story was very fast paced, and there were too many characters to really go into much depth about any one of them here. But all of the characters in the story play a very important role in the battle between good and evil. Figuring out how each one would benefit the group was exciting. Each time a piece of the puzzle was revealed I was awe-struck at how easily it was worked into the story.

The writing was amazing in this one. I've never read James Rubart before but given how well this book was written I would imagine he could write just about anything and it would be a captivating read. I just could not put this one down. I spent quite a few hours letting my housework go because I just had to finish this one. I am a fan for sure and I can not wait until the next in the trilogy is released. ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Dec 28, 2012 |
Reece Roth has learned how Christians can truly intercede for one another; battle for one another on the most personal level, within one's soul. This knowledge did not come without a cost. Thirty years ago, he paid the ultimate price while teaching others how to enter a soul. Now, thirty years later, God is fulfilling a prophecy by bringing him back to train four new warriors.
Not since Ted Dekker's The Circle series have I been this hooked! James Rubart's new Well Spring series is spiritual warfare, sci-fi, and time travel all mixed together. It's as if the author was watching Doctor Who and wondered what would it be like if the Doctor was a Christian, zooming across time and space and battling demons? I'm not saying that he did, but however he arrived at the idea, it works! One of my favorite quotes from the book is when Marcus is explaining how God is not restricted by time:

"Since God exists everywhere, He exists in those moments we can't measure. He is outside of time, He's outside of distance. He can transverse from one point in the universe to the other with no time having passed because He's already there."

Yes, this is a fictional novel, but that is not fiction. That is awesome truth. God is everywhere and He has existed and does exist and will exist in all time. It makes my head feel funny if I think about it too long. Anyway, if you want a book that makes you think, or if you've been bored by the majority of the books you've found in the Christian fiction aisle, here is the book for you. Meanwhile, I'll be the one camped out waiting for Book 2.

I give this book the highest compliment a Whovian can give....

5 Blue Boxes

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Litfuse Publicity Group book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Tammy.Ford.Cuevas | Nov 9, 2012 |
Title: Soul’s Gate
Author: James Rubart
Pages: 400
Year: 2012
Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Look at the title again. What do you think this novel will be about? Have you read other novels by this author? For me, this is the first one I have read by this particular author, and I will tell you I was hooked as soon as I opened the book. Here is a storyteller that uses various genres to tell a couple of truths about the Lord, freedom, and warfare in a way that helps visualize the action while reading it. Today many attempts are made in various ways to capture the interest of an audience to read a novel. Some have use YouTube videos to plant interest, others write reviews, and still others use synopses of books to attract an audience. Any one of these mediums can work, although some choose to look for more information before deciding. I had not read any of James Rubart’s books, so after reading a synopsis of this book, I thought it might be worthwhile to read.
There are four different characters in the story that carry with them wounds from the past that effect both the present and the future. Not only that, their pasts affect their relationships with the Lord. Some of the wounds or lies have been around for years, so to have them pulled out by the root can’t be done alone. To wage war to help bring freedom to these characters, they must first understand who God has made them to be and what name He given them. The name God gives them also represents what He is preparing them to do to bring freedom.
I thought this novel made a valid point in that we all need each other in the Body in order to experience the freedom from lies that are present within each of us. Next, it is also true that the devil is out to destroy us, not play with us, but take us out for eternity. It is also true that Jesus died to set the captives free, but sometimes the captives don’t even realize their need for freedom or the warfare that Satan unleashes to keep them enslaved.
James shares at the end of the novel what he experienced as he wrote this work of fiction. He shares what he believes to be real and what parts of the novel are just from his imagination. I think it is awesome when an author shares his life experiences with readers. We can be reminded that authors are humans too, and no one is exempt from the warfare or the need for freedom in Christ. When you read the book, listen closely to see what God may speak to you through this fictional journey. While this is a fictional journey for sure, it doesn’t mean that is all that it is. Christ read from Isaiah when He came the first time to tell everyone that He came to set the captives free. His audience then didn’t understand it; some didn’t even believe Him and others wanted to kill Him. People today are the same. We all need Christ, but some will repeat history and react the same way to Christ as they did long ago with rejection.
I loved this story, the characters, and the setting. The themes are very relevant for believers of Jesus today and for those who have yet to be set free. Another piece of encouragement in the novel is that no matter the amount of time we walk with Christ, we can forever be going deeper with Him. I pray you get this novel, and read it as a work of fiction that points to a greater reality for us today.
My rating is 5+ stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Oct 30, 2012 |

What if you could travel inside another person's soul? Thirty years ago that's exactly what Reece Roth did. Until tragedy shattered his life and ripped away his future. Now God has drawn Reece out of the shadwos to fulfill a prophecy spoken over him three decades ago. A prophecy about four warriors with the potential to change the world...if Reece will face his deepest regret and teach them what he has learned.… (more)

11 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible