Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Saga, Volume 1

by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples (Illustrator)

Other authors: Fonografiks (Lettering + Design), Eric Stephenson (Coordinator)

Series: Saga (Vol. 1)

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.

Saga marks the triumphant return of writer Vaughn to creator-owned work after years of toiling in television scripting and helming several superhero titles. Much like his previous endeavors including the lauded series Y: The Last Man On Earth and Ex-Machina, Vaughn smartly relies on interpersonal interactions as the crux to his larger-than-life tale. Two opposing soldiers of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, have a child, and even as agents from both sides attempt to destroy the new family, valiantly challenge the status quo. Vaughn, abetted by the lush Staples art, delivers a new twist on the classic Romeo and Juliet trope with exotic aliens, unbridled sexuality, complex political structures, family squabbles, and even a Guess Who's Coming to Dinner moment. Staples, who handles all the aspects of the art including inking and coloring, has created a gorgeous alien vista. The vibrant colors, deftly handled, and the delicate brush strokes breathe life into this complex vision. Saga, Volume One promises a unique and powerful science fiction experience. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
The raciest, most interestingly direct adult graphic novel I've read in my life. Very engaging. Can't bring them in my home (2 small children), but looking forward to reading more the next time I have some time to get away on my own. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
This is my first time reading a comic book in years. Haven't picked up manga in awhile as well. Recommended by Sarah.

Plotwise: NEVER A DULL MOMENT. From start to finish, action-packed scenes that kept me going. I loved each page. My friend once described it as "Romeo and Juliet in space" with the violence. It's an unexpected and full of twists and turns. Basically, Alana and Marko are from warring planets, and have a baby (who narrates in the future) - and their union is considered blasphemous by many across the galaxy. Theirs a price on their heads, and several bounty hunters are out to get them (The Will, Prince Robot, etc).

It's got a mix of lighthearted fun and serious tones.

Characters: Can I say I love all the characters introduced so far? My favorite is Prince Robot IV. Their designs are unique (robot for a head, talking cat, spider lady, ghost with intestines sticking out, etc) and they all have their motivations.

Art: I'm no judge of art but I love what I see, so...

Will I be continuing? HECK YEAH! Gotta find the other volumes in Bookoff. ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
Holy Crap this was absolutely, utterly and totally freaking fantastic, that I can just kick myself for waiting so long to read this amazing graphic novel. It really does deserves all the hype it gets. Now since I've been getting into more graphic novel this year. I wanted to check out Saga I have always wanted to try this graphic novel for a very long time now. But I was really scared I would not love or enjoy it that much because of all the hype it was getting. Because there was one book I read that had been overhype on it and when I read it I was really disappointed about that book after I finish reading it. And I really dislike when an overly hype books does that to me. So I decided to wait until the hype died down on Saga too start reading it. And O-M-Gosh I am so glad and happy I check this graphic novel out from my library because I thoroughly love and enjoyed everything about it. Now I won't go into any details about Saga, because I think everybody knows what it is about. Plus I just don't now what too write down on my review without spoiling it for everybody. All I can say is please read this book it just pure brilliant! I absolutely love the writing style and the amazing graphics. Plus the plotline was really easy for me too follow it did not confuse me at all. All and all this will be one of my top favorite graphic novels that I absolutely love and enjoy. That I can not wait to read and continue on reading the rest of the volumes in the Saga series! ( )
  KatiriaR | Sep 19, 2017 |
Science fiction, fantasy, graphic novel, ( )
  Nicole_742 | Aug 21, 2017 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,583,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible