Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Saga, Vol. 1 (edition 2012)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples (Illustrator)

2,7962093,202 (4.31)193
"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.
Member:pva
Title:Saga, Vol. 1
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Fiona Staples (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2012), Edition: 0, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

Isola, Chapter 1 by Brenden Fletcher (apokoliptian)
    Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor (andomck)
    andomck: Told from the pov of a daughter growing up in a science fantasy world
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Magic systems based on language . One is the secret names of things, the other is secrets itself.

English (207)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (209)
You should be reading this series. Like, as soon as possible. Beautifully drawn with fun, imaginative, cool as hell characters in a Romeo/Juliet space opera. You should be reading this. ( )
  barrettlucero | Aug 28, 2019 |
Snappy, fun, intriguing, full of big ideas and complicated considerations. Definitely the start of something extraordinary. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on more. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
After seeing this book on the shelf at the library months ago and hearing generally positive reviews, I finally checked out Saga, Volume 1 and read it. The artwork is very cool, but the plot get convoluted pretty quickly as Alana and Marko, two people who fought on opposing sides of a war, marry and have a baby girl. Chaos and an all out manhunt for the parents and baby ensue soon after Hazel is born. Robots, monkey ghost children, bird people, and freelance hunters all get in on the action. And they all get introduced in one chapter. Woof. It felt a bit overwhelming and there were multiple times when I had to go back and reread passages.

I do like the characters a lot, both protagonists and antagonists. Alana and Marko are likable. Alana is a former cadet who flunked out of army. Marko is a pacifist who was captured by Alana's army. The dialogue between these two is enjoyable and is also pretty funny. The author, [a:Brian K. Vaughan|24514|Brian K. Vaughan|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1204664235p2/24514.jpg], is very good at mixing humor and action in his graphic novels. Since I did like the characters and action a lot, I will be reading Volume 2 to see where the story goes. Hopefully, it'll get a little more settled.

Also, I want to learn more about the Alligator butler who works for the Robot Prince. His story is hopefully as awesome as his character design. Please be in more than one panel in Volume 2! ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Is it weird that I picked up this book based solely on the cover art? The artwork in this volume is so beautiful, and really adds to the story. The story itself is a nice science fiction story about star crossed lovers caught in the middle of a galactic war. I enjoyed reading this and plan on reading the next volumes. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
It took me three days to read this volume. Not because it was boring or because I didn't have time to read it. It took me three days to read it because I wanted it to last. I didn't want it to be a fast read. I wanted to savour it, make it last, enjoy every page, the art, the story. EVERYTHING! It got humor, love, action and some really good art.

I loved this graphic novel. I mean this is the first I have bought in a long time. And, I bought it because of all I ever saw was people praising it. Any you know what? They are all right it is that good! There are many reviews out there that are very good, describing the story with images everything. But I just want to say that I enjoyed reading it very much and it is now looking very good in a prominent place on my bookshelf.

I ordered volume 2 today after I finished volume 1. Should probably have ordered them all when I think about it. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,201,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible