Saga by Brian K Vaughan

Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:IPAD

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

2013 (24) 2014 (9) adult (7) adventure (10) aliens (7) comic (20) comic book (6) comics (65) family (13) fantasy (47) fiction (45) ghosts (7) graphic (7) graphic novel (130) humor (7) image (11) love (7) magic (15) read (14) read in 2012 (8) read in 2013 (20) romance (8) saga (15) science fiction (98) series (12) sf (10) space (7) space opera (19) to-read (36) war (26)

oh, this was lovely. the writing, the artwork, the characters, the mood, the story careening along from page to page. space opera: starcrossed alien lovers, galactic war, a legion of enemies, a teenaged ghost babysitter, magic and hightech, all swirling around a newborn baby girl who is something new. ordering the next two quick. ( )
  macha | Apr 19, 2014 |
I am not a graphic novel person. I’m not sure why, but instead of artwork on the pages I see something close to a chaos of jumbled drawings spackled with confusing bubbles of print--probably some brain glitch, a kind of graphic image dyslexia maybe. But I’ve read and heard raves about Saga and I certainly liked the sound of the storyline: two humanoids from warring alien races--his with horns & hers with wings--fall in love, have a baby, and then are on the run from both of their peoples. Sort of a space opera Romeo and Juliet. So I got Saga from my library and liked it well enough to read the whole book--a graphic novel first for me--but couldn’t love it.

What I liked:

*The story panels are large and fairly regular in size so my brain glitch didn’t kick in much,

*The panels are colorful, a page of smallish black and white sketches is harder for me to process,

*The print is not askew, cramped, crooked or variously sized to express emotion--also a help for my quirk,

*The main characters are wonderful, strong and caring individuals, and while they love each other they are still trying to work out their (very interesting) differences,

*And the story is exciting and even witty.

What I didn’t like:

*Some of the villains and even some of the “good guys” are so creepy looking I didn’t want to look. Which is another quirk of mine. I love the storylines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for instance, we have every season on DVD because my daughters love the show, but can’t take the sight of all those disturbing evil menace characters (and I’m not talking about someone like Spike--I love him.)

This is the start of a series and the story is well introduced though it doesn’t go very far in this book, but I can highly recommend Saga to anyone who doesn’t have excessive squeamishness or general difficulty enjoying graphic novels. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Apr 18, 2014 |
The planet of Landfall and its moon, Wreath, are at war. While the nations themselves are not astronomical in size, their influence stretches across the galaxy pulling other planets and races into the conflict. When two soldiers from opposite sides meet, fall in love and produce an offspring, they try to escape the battle that has ravaged both cultures. As with most things, it isn't going to be easy. Not only have they broken some serious unwritten rules by not immediately killing one another, they had to go ahead and reproduce. Rough roads lie ahead of Marko and Alana.

I’m a huge fan of Brian K. Vaughan's "Y: The Last Man", so this should have been an immediate buy. However, I only started to hear some moderate buzz about Saga earlier this year. Despite my initial trepidation, not only does Saga satisfy my growing palate for sci-fi, it quenches my thirst and leaves me begging for more.

Fiona Staples' visuals were exceptional. In fact, they're gorgeous. While it may not come away as polished as most books, there's something unique about her style that really hooked me. The look of certain characters can be jarring at first but in the end, she's the perfect fit for Vaughan's story.

Vaughan's famous for placing familiar characters in unfamiliar environments. While the setting isn't relatable, the characters could be anyone you know. They're all driven by basic human emotions and desires; the need to protect your child or the quest for acceptance in the eyes of others. Vaughan and Staples succeed in making the reader invest in the lives of their creations, leaving you yearning for more.

I think this will be the last time I read Saga as a completed volume. I'll be adding it to my monthly to-read list ASAP.

Cross posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I'm fairly new to comics but I love this one. I first learned about Saga here on Goodreads. Someone was doing a giveaway and I didn't win a copy but I kept it in the back of my head. I mean, how can you not be drawn in by the cover? It is absolutely beautiful and it smacks you right up front with a gorgeous interracial couple, interracial in more ways than one.
What follows is a story that is hip, funny, unbelievable, unique, compelling, and romantic all in one. This is definitely SF but it is a mash up of so much more. This couple, Alana and Marko are ridiculous but you root for them, you want them to make it. I'll read Saga to its conclusion. I have to. I'm hooked. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible