Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

English (77)  Spanish (1)  All languages (78)
augh. love. if the art was a little more delicious it would be perfect. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
The story of two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war who fall in love, told from the point of view of their newborn daughter. I've heard this described as "Romeo and Juliet" in space and it's not far off - although I am surprised at how much I liked it seeing as the "in space" part isn't something I usually am too fond of. It took me a few pages to get into the story, but once I cared about the characters, I cared a lot - the family (and the "bonus-child") are so endearing that I feel I need to find out what happens to them. And this one ends on a quirky cliff-hanger, so I'll be picking up the next volume as soon as I possibly can. I recently finished the author's [Y: The Last Man] and found that series to have more to say, but this one to be a lot more fun (I like fun!). ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 28, 2014 |
First Posted on bellesbeautifulbooks.blospot.com

My Simple Thoughts:
I very much enjoyed the story of the book, and I am glad that I decided to give this a go. The characters were very badass, and they are honestly perfect for each other (even if they are not allowed to be together). The plot of the book was fantastic, and the art just enhanced the story. I adored this.

My Loves of the Book:
I loved the characters and their badassery. They were super tough, and would do what they had to do to keep baby Hazel safe.
Hazel was able to look back and share her thoughts on certain events that transpired in the story, and I loved that element.
The art was gorgeous, and all the characters looked different enough to where you would never have to guess who you were looking at (that was a big problem in other comics that I have read).
Some of the drawing were just weir enough, so that I had to look back to see if I saw it right the first time. I loved it!
My Mehs of the Book:
There was not enough.
I need more.
I want the next book.
The comic was so good that not very many comics will compare to this.
It was too good. ( )
  BelleBooks117 | Jul 26, 2014 |
This is the first 6 issues of the comic are collected in this volume and it covers the birth and escape from the planet of the family on the run from almost everyone. Two soldiers fall in love, one guarding the other at a POW camp and they have baby. Now both sides want them and the baby as well. Bounty hunters are on their trail and this volume does as much as it can to show you all the different aliens in this universe fighting this war by proxy By the end of this story arc they are off planet and have acquired allies. The only thing the reader is left in the dark is the real reason why it is so important that the two of them are killed and the baby found and returned. An enjoyable collection but no real resolution to the story since this seems to be an ongoing comic. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Saga Volume One, written by Brian K Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples, is the first volume in a science fantasy/space opera comic book series. First volume in the sense that it's the first trade collection of the first six individual issues. I picked it up because I've been hearing some good things about it (and some less good things that still made me curious) and because Volume 2, which I shall get to shortly, is on this year's Hugo shortlist for Best Graphic Story. Also Volume 1 won the same Hugo last year.

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe.

From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.

The story opens with the baby on the cover being born and is lightly narrated by her future self. This opening volume sets up several story lines: there's the parents trying to keep their baby safe and not get themselves killed in the middle of a warzone, and there are two unrelated character groups trying to track them down and kill them (and capture the baby).

The story deals with forbidden love — the parents come from different races (who, obviously can interbreed) — particularly in the reactions of other characters when they are confronted with the couple. It's also pretty gritty, in that there's a lot of violence and hardly anyone is a nice person (although possibly not as literally bloody as grimdark fantasy, but I'm not so sure). Also there are a lot of boobs, some of them needless. Like the spider lady bounty hunter really didn't need to be topless (and as a bounty hunter, I have to wonder why it seemed like a good idea). By contrast, the only penises that appear are in the background on a (weird) prostitute planet, which still contains more boobs. If you didn't pick it up from the last few sentences, this is not really a PG read; it's definitely intended for adults.

So far, I'm enjoying the story, which is just as well because I already have volumes two and three ready to go. It's definitely aimed at SFF readers and I wouldn't call it anything other than science fantasy, genre-wise. (OK, I lied, I might also call it space opera, but I remain faintly confused about what space opera actually is.) There are some interesting species represented, like the robots that book completely human (to the point of reproducing the same way) except for having screens for faces. By contrast, the welcoming committee on the prostitute planet was a bit weird and alarming.

Saga seems not to be for the faint of heart, but it's not as dark as quite a lot of fantasy books I've read.

4 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Jul 5, 2014 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible