Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

An excellent graphic novel - at times, a bit too graphic, but it emphasizes the story. The characters are solid. And, while the plot line is typical, it manages to tell a story that is completely new. The illustrations are amazing.

Highly recommended. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jul 19, 2015 |
I've been meaning to check out Saga for a while. Brian K. Vaughan being one of my favorite modern comic writers, I'll give anything with his name on it a shot. This has been on my list for some time, and I picked up this used copy of the first collected volume while talking about it with Jake, owner of my favorite local comic shop. We were on the topic of Saga when he remembered the store had just gotten this copy in, so I grabbed it.

The world is a beautiful blend of sci-fi and fantasy; two different alien factions at war with one another, one led by robotic royalty, the other a group of horn-headed magic users. In this long and bloodied war, two members of the opposing forces fall in love and have a child. This is where the story opens, quite literally with the child's birth.

The story is told through narration. The narrator, we soon learn, is the newborn. Her parents, a former prison guard and a soldier-turned pacifist, are on the run from their respective peoples who don't want word of a union between the two races reaching the "rank and file." I mean, that could spoil the war. The first volume deals with this new family's escape from the planet they are currently on as they set out to make a new life for themselves.

I love everything about this first book. The character designs are amazing, the world-building is unique and beautifully handled, Fiona Staples' art is fantastic, and the dialogue and characterization are on point. Seriously, this is one I would recommend to anyone, as long as you're okay with a bit of language and some graphic violence. Can't wait to pick up the next volume! ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 14, 2015 |
Brilliant illustration. Really enjoyed the large graphics and the colors instead of the usual congested panes and too much darkness.

Storyline seemed new. Abuse, lurid and sexually explicit art was in abundant form. Didn't notice any age limit on fine prints.

Would like to see how the story continues. Would be interesting to see the kid a bit grown and eventually her becoming the lead character. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
It took me three days to read this volume. Not because it was boring or because I didn't have time to read it. It took me three days to read it because I wanted it to last. I didn't want it to be a fast read. I wanted to savour it, make it last, enjoy every page, the art the story. EVERYTHING! It got humor, love, action and some really good art.

I loved this graphic novel. I mean this is the first I have bought in a long time. And, I bought it because of all I ever saw was people praising it. Any you know what? They are all right it is that good! There are many reviews out there that are very good, describing the story with images everything. But I just want to say that I enjoyed reading it very much and it is now looking very good in a prominent place on my bookshelf.

I ordered volume 2 today, after I finished volume 1. Should probably have ordered them all when I think about it.

Review also posted on A Bookaholic Swede and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 3, 2015 |
I love Saga more with every page I read. The characters, the world, the story - they all grasp you from the very beginning and make it impossible to put the book down. Let's not forget about the illustrations, because they are completely gorgeous and bring the whole thing to life. I really can't say enough good things about it, and I hope after you read this review you head over to Amazon, B&N, Image Comics, or wherever you buy your books and pick this up.

The story revolves around two soldiers, Marko and Alana, who are deeply and madly in love with each other. The beginning starts with the birth of their new little baby, Hazel; of course, things are bound to go wrong when you're in the midst of a huge war and matters are further complicated by the fact that Alana and Marko are supposed to be enemies. Think Romeo and Juliet, only these two are far more entertaining. I enjoy the back and forth between them; Alana is so feisty and Marko is so practical. They make quite the pair, going from humorous to making me go "Awwww." The illustrations, as I said before, are amazing and just as important as the story. All of the characters are extremely interesting, and it's impossible not to love them. Even the despicable ones were painted in a light that made them so human and relatable. None more so than The Will, an assassin for hire whose job is to hunt down Marko and Alana. Sounds terrible right? Things aren't that black and white in this universe, and while I wanted to hate him, several scenes made me look at him differently. I won't elaborate, because spoilers.

I like how Saga also touches on some serious issues. For example, war and the casualties that come as a result; not just soldiers lose their lives, but innocents as well. In this case, the war is between the planet of Landfall and its only moon, Wreath. Destroy one and the other will perish as well, so they took the fighting to other planets. We meet some of the victims of this bloodshed, children in fact. While on the surface it seems kind of lighthearted, if you really think about it, it's horrifying. It's not like this doesn't happen in our own world every day. As our sometimes-narrator Hazel says at one point, she was one of the lucky ones; she got to grow up because she had two parents to protect her.

I have already read Saga Volume 2 and Volume 3, and I can tell you they are just as amazing as Volume 1. I am enchanted by the visuals, the story, the characters. Everything. Even if you aren't into comics, even if you have never picked up a graphic novel in your life, now is the time. I promise you will love every moment of this book.

If you would like to read more of my reviews, please check out my book review blog, Lucky Devil Reviews (http://www.luckydevilreviews.com) ( )
  luckydevilreviews | Jul 1, 2015 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,434,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible