Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

This is good but I find that most people overhype how good it is. If you know about stories from th 1980s and Mtv in the 1980s this is just a love letter to that era. It should get better later but this first outting is just average. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Brian Vaughan’s “Saga, Volume 1” is a collection of six first issues of an epic award-wining fantasy and science fiction comic book series Saga. Marko and Alana’s love is doomed: they belong to two different races that, as long as anyone can remember, have been trying to destroy each other in a never-ending galactic war. All Marko and Alana want is to give their newborn a peaceful childhood neither of them had themselves, but that seems impossible as the family of three is being hunted by both sides that are determined to end the forbidden union before the word of its existence spreads.

1) One of a kind.
“Saga, Volume 1” has magic, romance, spaceships, ghosts, robots, drama, nightmarish creatures, explicit sex scenes, action, humor and even DEPTH. You would never expect such chaos to result in anything good but, against all odds, the end product is a shocking, enthralling and hugely satisfying blend. Also, even though the major premise is not that unique, thanks to Vaughan’s limitless imagination and Fiona Staples’ flawless execution, the story is simply incomparable. By the way, did I mention that the narrator is a newly born baby?

2) Positively disturbing.
From grand entrances and explicit language to violence and nudity, Vaughan and Staples don’t hold back anything. In addition to such candidness, “Saga, Volume 1” is also full of less common but strangely uncomfortable episodes such as childbirth, breast feeding or a pooping robot. Although disturbing, such scenes are sure to capture one’s attention. Good move, Mr. Vaughan.

3) Unique yet so familiar.
One of the most attractive features of “Saga, Volume 1” is its extremely imaginative cast of characters. But no matter how bizarre the characters look, the story is surprisingly relatable because, at its core, it’s a universal tale of family, love and survival during a war where neither side is truly evil.

4) Flawless execution.
I am simply in love with Staples’ artwork. Her illustrations are expressive, dynamic and stunningly beautiful to look at, but, most importantly, I LOVE the colors, which balance out otherwise bleak war atmosphere and set a cheerful mood. Even the lettering in this book is unique as different fonts and colors are used for certain characters or different languages. Great idea!

COULD BE BETTER:

1) Controversial characters.
Although definitely unique-looking, not all the characters in “Saga” are likable. For example, The Stalk (one of the assassins) is downright repulsive, the robots are creepy and hard to sympathize with, and Alana (the female protagonist) is rather shallow and annoying. While I can understand that the villain and the robots might be disturbing ON PURPOSE, the female protagonist, unfortunately, seems simply underdeveloped.

VERDICT: 4.5 out of 5

“Saga, Volume 1,” a product of Brian Vaughan’s limitless imagination and Fiona Staples’ flawless execution, is a somewhat disturbing yet extremely captivating blend of magic, science fiction and reality. At its core, it is a familiar story of family and love in the midst of a war; however, its bizarre set of characters is anything but ordinary.

POST SCRIPTUM:

Did anyone notice that The Will kind of looks like Brian Vaughan? ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | May 15, 2015 |
After taking a long break from reading comics/graphic novels Saga is a pleasant surprise. I couldn't stop turning the pages! Alana and Marko are unique and compelling characters. She's no delicate flower and swears like a sailor. He's not a knuckle dragging alpha male, but can throw down when necessary. I can't wait to read more of their adventures! Vaughn's worldbuilding is interesting and layered. Staples art is perfect for this rough and tumble storyline. Saga rocks! ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
I enjoyed the narration of this book and I look forward to reading more. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
A sprawling mythos is created in Brian Vaughan's Saga, and the reader is immediately plunged into it with little warning. Thankfully, the audience has Hazel to guide us through it. Hazel is the infant daughter of Marko and Alana, star-crossed lovers from opposing planets who desperately try to escape the war while being pursued by freelancers, including the oddly moralistic The Will and his Lying Cat, and Prince Robot IV, a bizarre machine-man with a television screen for a head. They only have themselves and the help of a maimed ghost named Izabel to try and find a place of peace to raise Hazel.

Sound complicated? It is, but not in a way that ever leaves you frustrated. Vaughan really has created a truly crazy, wonderful world, and the "sci-fi/soap opera" description attached to it seems oddly apt. Most impressive was not the backstory so much - enemies falling in love is, honestly, sort of prosaic - but the imagination that jumps off the page. The mix of magic and weapons used to fight the war; the distinctly odd bluebloods with their television screen heads; and my personal favorite, the grotesquely beautiful freelancer known as The Stalk, who has the guise of a beautiful blonde woman with no arms and six too many legs.

The story itself, as mentioned, is an old one, but is given a fresh(ish) spin. It is more in its epicness that it shines rather than its novelty. There aren't any lines that just made me laugh out loud or made me pause for a moment in contemplation, and none of the characters have made me love them just yet, but the story is compelling. It felt like watching Star Wars without knowing anything about it; the sheer vastness of its scope and the world-building are impressive.

The art is serviceable, with bright colors and often relishes the macabre. Take for instance our ghost, Izabel, who appears as a normal teenager missing her lower half thanks to a land mine, and whose intestines peek out from the bottom of her t-shirt. The backgrounds, unfortunately, are often lackluster, of the quality that implies someone hastily sketched a pattern and blurred the rest into inconsequentialness, which can make it feel unfinished at times, particularly as the story seems so keen on creating a world that the art is content to leave unnoticed.

If this is only volume 1, I can't wait to read the rest.
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,211,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible