Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

English (83)  Spanish (1)  All languages (84)
*review of volumes 1-3 as a whole*

Each of these volumes collects about five issues of the comic book Saga, which follows two soldiers from opposite sides of a centuries' long war who have fallen in love, had a child, and are now on the run from a variety of baddies who are trying to track them down. The story is first rate, with action, humor, and truly touching moments in about equal measure. And the bad guys are just as interesting as the goodies (I want them all to be okay. This is not possible. And some of the baddies have done very bad things to the goodies. But they have their own reasons and lives and. And and and. Squee.) I'm about as invested in this story and these characters as I have been in any story I've ever read, and I can't wait until the next volume comes out (and I'm just OCD enough about editions that I'm making myself wait for the next collection rather than trying to hunt down the individual issues). The artwork is also gorgeous. Recommended. (Do take heed of that "mature" rating, though.) ( )
  lycomayflower | Oct 13, 2014 |
This is the first collected edition of Brian K. Vaughan’s space opera comic Saga, gathering issues 1-6. The story begins as star-crossed lovers Marko and Alana, both deserters from opposite sides of an interstellar war, are holed up in a garage on a planet called Cleave, with Alana heavily pregnant and about to give birth. Volume One covers the misadventures of the couple and their baby as they attempt to escape the planet, pursued by military forces and bounty hunters.

Saga is heavily inspired by Star Wars; this is space opera as fantasy rather than science fiction, and Vaughan goes a step further than Lucas by openly involving magic. It’s also a heavily weird comic, in a weird why-the-hell-not way rather than the more mythic, deadly serious weirdness of something like Brandom Graham’s Prophet. Within the pages of Saga you’ll find a forest that grows rocket ships, a sort of deadly women/spider centaur, the ghost of a girl who dresses and speaks like a ‘90s SoCal teenager, a seahorse-like alien who acts as a Hollywood-style “agent” for various violent bounty hunters, soldiers who ride pegasuses (pegasi?) for some reason, and sex scenes between robots with TV monitors for heads (characters who are, I hope, inspired by Evan Dahm’s The One Electronic in Rice Boy). Whether or not you like Saga depends largely on how happy you are to embrace this sort of madcap, tongue-in-cheek creativity, and whether you think it strikes the right balance between playfulness and gravitas. Personally I was okay with it, but we’ll see how future volumes go.

The pacing is solid. You can tell that this is the beginning of what Vaughan hopes will be a long story, and Saga is an apt title for a work like this. The story has an omniscient narration by the couple’s infant daughter Hazel, who looks back on their struggles from a future vantage point, Wonder Days style, which I think works well. Opening the story with Hazel’s birth was absolutely the right moment to do so, throwing the reader into a family’s life-or-death struggle against a hostile universe from the exact moment they properly became a family, and I like the idea that Saga could chart a character’s entire life in this crazy universe from birth to death.

Saga is not precisely the kind of epic science fiction story I’d like to read – I’d probably prefer something a little more serious – but I still liked it quite a bit, and I’ll keep reading it. Volume One is a solid opening to what I hope develops further and becomes a classic sprawling space opera. ( )
  edgeworth | Oct 9, 2014 |
If I believed in some mystical power in the universe, pulling strings in order to line things up exactly right for me, I might almost imagine that this series was sent to me as a gift, a boon, a salve for my disappointment in giving up on the X-Men. Because, honey, this book is all kinds of things I didn't eve know I needed wrapped up in a bow like Christmas.

Let's start with the cover. SImple, striking. Enough to arrest my attention as I glanced at it on my way to an unrelated section of the bookstore on a very specific errand. Then, whose name is on the cover but Brian K. Vaughan, author of Y: The Last Man, a series which I loved dearly and have been thinking of fondly again recently as I've been pondering how to get a friend hooked on graphic novels. The synopsis on the back didn't have much work to do to sell me before I was bringing it home.

Then, the story. Seriously. This story. Two soldiers of two different species who have been at war for generations upon generations fall in love. And we're dropped into the story just as Alana is giving birth. Oh, and Alana has wings, and Marko has horns. And there are assassins, and robots, and ghosts, and spaceship trees, and atrocities, and humor, and the whole thing is narrated in past tense by the very child they've just brought into being.

As each new fantastical element is dolloped on, there is a brief wobble. The mind doubts, thinks, "Oh, well now this is when the whole tower will collapse under the weight of its own hubris." But it never does. I was propelled on, needing to know what could possibly happen next.

Given all the novel elements and the small size of this trade paperback, the plot was just getting off the ground when the final page was turned. I am so impatient to get to what's next, I may be forced to follow the individual issues. (I'll buy the TPBs, too, who am I kidding?)

I am sold on this story. Outright. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
A space opera comic with aliens, space war, mercenaries, robots, ghosts and wisecracks. ( )
  questbird | Sep 19, 2014 |
Alana and Marko were soldiers on opposite side of the war; a war that has been going-on for a very long time, but this was before they fell in love. Now Alana is pregnant and is on the verge of giving birth. Of course, The Powers That Be are not too happy about rebel soldiers and deserters, so mercenaries are sent after the little family …

I must admit that it has taken me some time to appreciate the story; the world created here is rich and so alien that it was like an extreme immersion. There were some really disturbing storylines and visuals so it’s definitely for a mature audience only. I highly appreciated the humor; it was a nice counter-balance to the darker aspects. Overall, it’s a great world to explore and the end gives me a strong incentive to continue with the series. ( )
  electrice | Sep 9, 2014 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,467,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible