Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

The first chapter had me hooked. What follows didn't disappoint, and the artwork was delightful throughout. ( )
  amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this graphic novel. I've had it on my TBR pile forever and wish I had gotten around to reading it sooner. There is a lot of action, some great characters, a huge world, and tons of creativity. I was quickly completely drawn into the story and can't wait to read more.

This is definitely an adults only graphic novel; there is quite a bit of sex and violence which is depicted in detail. There is also a lot of humor and snark in here which I really enjoyed.

As mentioned this is absolutely action-packed; there are tons of gun fights and space battles. However, there are also a lot of tender scenes and adventuring throughout.

The story bounces between a few different viewpoints; that of the two star-crossed lovers with their new baby, that of a prince tasked with hunting them down, and that of a bounty hunter who takes a job hunting them down. Even with all these characters and viewpoints the story never gets confusing; it’s easy to follow and weaves together nicely.

The illustration is very well done; again it was easy to follow and also nicely detailed. I loved the full color throughout and really enjoyed the artwork in general.

I was surprised how quickly I was drawn into the story and how engaging I found all the different characters. At times the story leaves you nearly breathless with the intensity and when I reached the end I wanted more!

One of the best parts is how there is a ton of snarky humor in here; so despite the intensity there is still some light-hearted fun to everything.

Overall this was a phenomenal graphic novel and I can’t wait to see what volume 2 holds. I would recommend to those who like sci-fi graphic novels; actually I would recommend to everyone...I really really liked this one! ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 7, 2016 |
I bought and read the first two issues when they first came out and somehow never got back to this series. I did buy the trade though and am so happy I finally read it! ( )
  JJbooklvr | Sep 28, 2016 |
At BEA 2013 I picked up the first comic in this series and read it enthusiastically, I really enjoyed it but never brought myself to pick up the remainder of the series. Recently, everyone is talking about Saga and how absolutely wonderful it is and I knew that I had missed something big. Non-comic readers were enthralled and many bloggers I follow were getting into the series too. I had to find it. Luckily for me my campus library has the first two volumes. I devoured them.

Saga is a little bit of everything. It is sexy, violent, complex, and funny. It has everything an adult graphic novel should have. The characters are interesting, the plot is put together very well and the images themselves are detailed and alluring.

The story follows a man and a women from warring planets who fall in love and we meet them upon the birth of their child. They are running from everyone - each of their respective armies and bounty hunters alike. Telling the story is the child, Hazel, and the story is woven together as past and present and from various points of review - the parents, the army, and the hunters. This makes for a wonderful compilation of information.

Loved it!

Review for Volume 2 is here. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
When I first picked this up on recommendation from a friend, I was worried that it might be a bit too.... Out there for me. However, I was pleasantly surprised at just how emotion packed and beautiful this really is.

The first installment of Saga tells the beginnings of a girl named Hazel. Violence, lack of understanding, and new parents taking on opposition - everything in this read will leave you NEEDING to know what is going to happen next.

What did I think?: I'm not a big comic reader but I couldn't put this down. The beautiful images combined with a story that I won't soon forget is going to have me recommending this one for a long time.

Who should read it?: I'm starting to think that I might be the last person to pick this up, but if somehow you haven't yet read it, get your hands on a copy and you'll see just why it's become so popular.

tipsy_writer | Sep 22, 2016 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,748,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible