Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

English (79)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
Alana and Marko were soldiers on opposite side of the war; a war that has been going-on for a very long time, but this was before they fell in love. Now Alana is pregnant and is on the verge of giving birth. Of course, The Powers That Be are not too happy about rebel soldiers and deserters, so mercenaries are sent after the little family …

I must admit that it has taken me some time to appreciate the story; the world created here is rich and so alien that it was like an extreme immersion. There were some really disturbing storylines and visuals so it’s definitely for a mature audience only. I highly appreciated the humor; it was a nice counter-balance to the darker aspects. Overall, it’s a great world to explore and the end gives me a strong incentive to continue with the series. ( )
  electrice | Sep 9, 2014 |
Shelf Notes Review

Dear Reader,

This might be one of the most intriguing Graphic Novels I've read in a long time. First, let me just say that Fiona Staples is an AMAZING artist. But what do you get when you combine an amazing artist with a really good storyteller? This addicting Graphic Novel that will make me broke by the time I finish it. So what is it about, you ask? It's a nice combination of Science Fiction and Fantasy, the creatures are very fantasy-like and the world is set in a very futuristic time. The characters had much of the same charm that the "Cowboy Bebop" characters have. I don't know why exactly but many of them have specific quirks that make then endearing right from the start. Don't get me wrong though, this is not cute or for kids. This Graphic Novel is all ADULT, as you can somewhat tell by the cover.

The story follows "star crossed" lovers (literally, haha), that come from two families at war. Yes, very Romeo and Juliet but set in a fantasy futuristic world. Both of them soldiers from opposite sides, they meet while one is in captivity and the other is given the task to watch over him. We don't get to see the past that much (at least not in this collection) but we start the story during the birth of the main character (who we have yet to meet). The child/teen tells us her past as a recollected story (so we know she is alive and well, however we don't know the fate of the parents). Think this sounds too romantic? Think again! This has plenty of action, adventure, mystery, intrigue, drama and everything else that makes a story compelling. This will be a Graphic Novel I'll be recommending to just about everyone with a pulse (and maybe an interest in sci-fi or fantasy).

Happy Reading,
AmberBug ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
augh. love. if the art was a little more delicious it would be perfect. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
The story of two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war who fall in love, told from the point of view of their newborn daughter. I've heard this described as "Romeo and Juliet" in space and it's not far off - although I am surprised at how much I liked it seeing as the "in space" part isn't something I usually am too fond of. It took me a few pages to get into the story, but once I cared about the characters, I cared a lot - the family (and the "bonus-child") are so endearing that I feel I need to find out what happens to them. And this one ends on a quirky cliff-hanger, so I'll be picking up the next volume as soon as I possibly can. I recently finished the author's [Y: The Last Man] and found that series to have more to say, but this one to be a lot more fun (I like fun!). ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 28, 2014 |
First Posted on bellesbeautifulbooks.blospot.com

My Simple Thoughts:
I very much enjoyed the story of the book, and I am glad that I decided to give this a go. The characters were very badass, and they are honestly perfect for each other (even if they are not allowed to be together). The plot of the book was fantastic, and the art just enhanced the story. I adored this.

My Loves of the Book:
I loved the characters and their badassery. They were super tough, and would do what they had to do to keep baby Hazel safe.
Hazel was able to look back and share her thoughts on certain events that transpired in the story, and I loved that element.
The art was gorgeous, and all the characters looked different enough to where you would never have to guess who you were looking at (that was a big problem in other comics that I have read).
Some of the drawing were just weir enough, so that I had to look back to see if I saw it right the first time. I loved it!
My Mehs of the Book:
There was not enough.
I need more.
I want the next book.
The comic was so good that not very many comics will compare to this.
It was too good. ( )
  BelleBooks117 | Jul 26, 2014 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible