Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

2013 (24) 2014 (9) adult (7) adventure (10) aliens (7) comic (20) comic book (6) comics (65) family (13) fantasy (47) fiction (45) ghosts (7) graphic (7) graphic novel (130) humor (7) image (11) love (7) magic (15) read (14) read in 2012 (8) read in 2013 (20) romance (8) saga (15) science fiction (98) series (12) sf (10) space (7) space opera (19) to-read (36) war (26)

The planet of Landfall and its moon, Wreath, are at war. While the nations themselves are not astronomical in size, their influence stretches across the galaxy pulling other planets and races into the conflict. When two soldiers from opposite sides meet, fall in love and produce an offspring, they try to escape the battle that has ravaged both cultures. As with most things, it isn't going to be easy. Not only have they broken some serious unwritten rules by not immediately killing one another, they had to go ahead and reproduce. Rough roads lie ahead of Marko and Alana.

I’m a huge fan of Brian K. Vaughan's "Y: The Last Man", so this should have been an immediate buy. However, I only started to hear some moderate buzz about Saga earlier this year. Despite my initial trepidation, not only does Saga satisfy my growing palate for sci-fi, it quenches my thirst and leaves me begging for more.

Fiona Staples' visuals were exceptional. In fact, they're gorgeous. While it may not come away as polished as most books, there's something unique about her style that really hooked me. The look of certain characters can be jarring at first but in the end, she's the perfect fit for Vaughan's story.

Vaughan's famous for placing familiar characters in unfamiliar environments. While the setting isn't relatable, the characters could be anyone you know. They're all driven by basic human emotions and desires; the need to protect your child or the quest for acceptance in the eyes of others. Vaughan and Staples succeed in making the reader invest in the lives of their creations, leaving you yearning for more.

I think this will be the last time I read Saga as a completed volume. I'll be adding it to my monthly to-read list ASAP.

Cross posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I'm fairly new to comics but I love this one. I first learned about Saga here on Goodreads. Someone was doing a giveaway and I didn't win a copy but I kept it in the back of my head. I mean, how can you not be drawn in by the cover? It is absolutely beautiful and it smacks you right up front with a gorgeous interracial couple, interracial in more ways than one.
What follows is a story that is hip, funny, unbelievable, unique, compelling, and romantic all in one. This is definitely SF but it is a mash up of so much more. This couple, Alana and Marko are ridiculous but you root for them, you want them to make it. I'll read Saga to its conclusion. I have to. I'm hooked. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
4.5 Stars ( )
  CaliSoleil | Feb 26, 2014 |
A fantastic read. Great character designs, brilliant art, and some really nice writing with engaging, likeable characters. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible