Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

English (92)  Spanish (1)  All languages (93)
I was given this to read for a challenge. A BBC challenge for those in the "know". And no, not as in The British Broadcasting Corporation. But something much cooler. I have never read a graphic novel. This is my first one. And like a first kiss it was not what I expected. But unlike a first kiss, this was amazing.(Kissing is kinda weird) I was grabbed by the story, the artwork is really cool, the concept of magic and science awesome. I also like the cross species romance it speaks to bigger things. I am left with the need to know:
1. Is the crazy spider women really dead? I doubt it, but I need to find out.
2. What the fuck are Marco's parents gonna do?
3. I hope Izabel is with us longer. I really like her.
This gal is off to The Comic Shop, must purchase more of the series. I am going to have to donate my National Geographic mags to the kids school to make room on the bookshelf. I big high five to Michael my BBC challenge boss. Thank you for getting me started. Do you have the rest of the series you want to get rid of, maybe you need to make room on your shelf. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Saga is one of those books that seems to get better with every reading. The story is wonderful and immersive with a gripping plot and well written, interesting characters. The art is beautiful and atmospheric. There is seriously nothing to dislike about this book. ( )
  TPauSilver | Feb 15, 2015 |
I can tell already that this is going to be a series that I want to follow. This first volume introduces the main characters and sets the story in motion. Marcus and Alana were each soldiers from opposite warring sides of a interplanetary war that fall in love and now have a baby daughter called Hazel. They are being hunted by both sides with a death sentence on the parents, but the baby seems to be attracting special attention and is wanted alive.

One thing I really like is the interplay between Marcus and Alana. They have concerns and issues much like any new couple and this is highlighted a few times. While giving birth under difficult conditions, Alana frets about how she is appearing to her loved one. Also when Marcus inadvertently mentions an old girlfriend, Alana’s radar goes into overtime. Marcus being a male, doesn’t really help himself much with his answers but does give the readers a good laugh.

As good as the story is, the artwork by Fiona Staples deserves special mention as well. Whether it is scenes of horror or scenes of beauty all is fresh and beautifully detailed. The story is very exciting with elements of magic, ghosts, rocketships, a disgusting spider-like huntress, a robot headed prince and most menacing of all, The Will with his sidekick, Lying Cat. I was very glad to have Volume 2 ready to pick up the minute I finished Volume 1. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 10, 2015 |
Description: Winner of the 2013 Hugo award for Best Graphic Story!

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.

This volume collects the first six issues of the smash-hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make." Voted one of the top graphic novels of the year by the NYT, IGN, the Examiner, and SF Weekly. Voted Best Comic of the year by MTV Geek and Best New Series by Paradox Comics. Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013.

Thoughts: I don't read a lot of graphic novels. I'm typically very picky about them and spend years deciding if I should invest in a series (I still haven't convinced myself to pick up Sandman or Ex Machina or Hellboy even though I think I'd love them). But, for some reason, I purchased this without much thought when it popped up in my Amazon recommendation list.

Actually, I think I know what drew me in so quickly. The first pages are of a birth, a beautiful example of what natural birth can be like (minus the fact that she's on her back, wish that trope would die), and then breastfeeding. It's honest. I mean it literally sounds like conversations I've heard at almost every birth I've been to. When do you get that in graphic novels?

From there, it continued to impress. The artwork is beautiful, even the weird and gory bits. The world is interesting and peopled with strange characters that somehow feel just right. It's funny and engaging.

And I instantly purchased the next volume and preordered the third. I may not get through a single thing other than graphic novels this year, but if they are this good, I might not mind so much.

Rating: 4

Liked: 4
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/163445#4580394 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
This series seems to be popping up on LibraryThing a lot recently so I thought I would give it a try. I ended up enjoying the read. It's way different and I'm not usually into the space stories but this volume is about much more than that setting. The artwork is pretty good. But this is definitely an adult GN, no mistake. A little refreshing but a little shocking at first if you're not expecting it. The volume is all in color which is nice as well. Approach with caution, but otherwise this series is recommended so far. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 8, 2015 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,696,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible