Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Member:kitsuchi
Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

It took me three days to read this volume. Not because it was boring or because I didn't have time to read it. It took me three days to read it because I wanted it to last. I didn't want it to be a fast read. I wanted to savour it, make it last, enjoy every page, the art the story. EVERYTHING! It got humor, love, action and some really good art.

I loved this graphic novel. I mean this is the first I have bought in a long time. And, I bought it because of all I ever saw was people praising it. Any you know what? They are all right it is that good! There are many reviews out there that are very good, describing the story with images everything. But I just want to say that I enjoyed reading it very much and it is now looking very good in a prominent place on my bookshelf.

I ordered volume 2 today, after I finished volume 1. Should probably have ordered them all when I think about it.

Review also posted on A Bookaholic Swede and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 3, 2015 |
I love Saga more with every page I read. The characters, the world, the story - they all grasp you from the very beginning and make it impossible to put the book down. Let's not forget about the illustrations, because they are completely gorgeous and bring the whole thing to life. I really can't say enough good things about it, and I hope after you read this review you head over to Amazon, B&N, Image Comics, or wherever you buy your books and pick this up.

The story revolves around two soldiers, Marko and Alana, who are deeply and madly in love with each other. The beginning starts with the birth of their new little baby, Hazel; of course, things are bound to go wrong when you're in the midst of a huge war and matters are further complicated by the fact that Alana and Marko are supposed to be enemies. Think Romeo and Juliet, only these two are far more entertaining. I enjoy the back and forth between them; Alana is so feisty and Marko is so practical. They make quite the pair, going from humorous to making me go "Awwww." The illustrations, as I said before, are amazing and just as important as the story. All of the characters are extremely interesting, and it's impossible not to love them. Even the despicable ones were painted in a light that made them so human and relatable. None more so than The Will, an assassin for hire whose job is to hunt down Marko and Alana. Sounds terrible right? Things aren't that black and white in this universe, and while I wanted to hate him, several scenes made me look at him differently. I won't elaborate, because spoilers.

I like how Saga also touches on some serious issues. For example, war and the casualties that come as a result; not just soldiers lose their lives, but innocents as well. In this case, the war is between the planet of Landfall and its only moon, Wreath. Destroy one and the other will perish as well, so they took the fighting to other planets. We meet some of the victims of this bloodshed, children in fact. While on the surface it seems kind of lighthearted, if you really think about it, it's horrifying. It's not like this doesn't happen in our own world every day. As our sometimes-narrator Hazel says at one point, she was one of the lucky ones; she got to grow up because she had two parents to protect her.

I have already read Saga Volume 2 and Volume 3, and I can tell you they are just as amazing as Volume 1. I am enchanted by the visuals, the story, the characters. Everything. Even if you aren't into comics, even if you have never picked up a graphic novel in your life, now is the time. I promise you will love every moment of this book.

If you would like to read more of my reviews, please check out my book review blog, Lucky Devil Reviews (http://www.luckydevilreviews.com) ( )
  luckydevilreviews | Jul 1, 2015 |
Marco and Alana are from separate worlds, their people locked in an ancient war, yet they have fallen in love and have a newborn named Hazel. They are trying to escape to safety, but independent contractors The Will and Stalk are out to get them. And to complicate matters, Marco and Alana have picked up teenage Izabel along the way; she's willing to help them leave the planet for a price. Fast-paced, sexy and funny with gorgeous artwork. Can't wait for Vol. 2! ( )
  Berly | Jun 8, 2015 |
This is good but I find that most people overhype how good it is. If you know about stories from th 1980s and Mtv in the 1980s this is just a love letter to that era. It should get better later but this first outting is just average. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Brian Vaughan’s “Saga, Volume 1” is a collection of six first issues of an epic award-wining fantasy and science fiction comic book series Saga. Marko and Alana’s love is doomed: they belong to two different races that, as long as anyone can remember, have been trying to destroy each other in a never-ending galactic war. All Marko and Alana want is to give their newborn a peaceful childhood neither of them had themselves, but that seems impossible as the family of three is being hunted by both sides that are determined to end the forbidden union before the word of its existence spreads.

1) One of a kind.
“Saga, Volume 1” has magic, romance, spaceships, ghosts, robots, drama, nightmarish creatures, explicit sex scenes, action, humor and even DEPTH. You would never expect such chaos to result in anything good but, against all odds, the end product is a shocking, enthralling and hugely satisfying blend. Also, even though the major premise is not that unique, thanks to Vaughan’s limitless imagination and Fiona Staples’ flawless execution, the story is simply incomparable. By the way, did I mention that the narrator is a newly born baby?

2) Positively disturbing.
From grand entrances and explicit language to violence and nudity, Vaughan and Staples don’t hold back anything. In addition to such candidness, “Saga, Volume 1” is also full of less common but strangely uncomfortable episodes such as childbirth, breast feeding or a pooping robot. Although disturbing, such scenes are sure to capture one’s attention. Good move, Mr. Vaughan.

3) Unique yet so familiar.
One of the most attractive features of “Saga, Volume 1” is its extremely imaginative cast of characters. But no matter how bizarre the characters look, the story is surprisingly relatable because, at its core, it’s a universal tale of family, love and survival during a war where neither side is truly evil.

4) Flawless execution.
I am simply in love with Staples’ artwork. Her illustrations are expressive, dynamic and stunningly beautiful to look at, but, most importantly, I LOVE the colors, which balance out otherwise bleak war atmosphere and set a cheerful mood. Even the lettering in this book is unique as different fonts and colors are used for certain characters or different languages. Great idea!

COULD BE BETTER:

1) Controversial characters.
Although definitely unique-looking, not all the characters in “Saga” are likable. For example, The Stalk (one of the assassins) is downright repulsive, the robots are creepy and hard to sympathize with, and Alana (the female protagonist) is rather shallow and annoying. While I can understand that the villain and the robots might be disturbing ON PURPOSE, the female protagonist, unfortunately, seems simply underdeveloped.

VERDICT: 4.5 out of 5

“Saga, Volume 1,” a product of Brian Vaughan’s limitless imagination and Fiona Staples’ flawless execution, is a somewhat disturbing yet extremely captivating blend of magic, science fiction and reality. At its core, it is a familiar story of family and love in the midst of a war; however, its bizarre set of characters is anything but ordinary.

POST SCRIPTUM:

Did anyone notice that The Will kind of looks like Brian Vaughan? ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | May 15, 2015 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible