Saga Volume 1 TP by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 1 TP (edition 2012)

by Brian K Vaughan

Title:Saga Volume 1 TP
Authors:Brian K Vaughan
Info:Image Comics (2012), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:read, comic, sci-fi

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Author)

That was one of the stronger graphic novels I've read recently. It's about a war that's going on between the people who live on a planet, they have wings, and the people who live on the planet's moon who are magic users and have horns. Two soldiers who should be on opposite sides fall in love and have a kid, Hazel (who has wings and horns). They then run into a pink legless ghost.

All that sounds out there, but Vaughan makes it all the fantasy and the sci fi work really really well together.

Then there's the art. I really, really liked it. It was fantastical, but also plain enough that made it look like comic book art and not abstract stuff. ( )
  DanieXJ | Sep 2, 2015 |
It's been a long time since I have read a graphic novel. Intresting start to a series, thw next volume awaits.
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
An excellent graphic novel - at times, a bit too graphic, but it emphasizes the story. The characters are solid. And, while the plot line is typical, it manages to tell a story that is completely new. The illustrations are amazing.

Highly recommended. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jul 19, 2015 |
I've been meaning to check out Saga for a while. Brian K. Vaughan being one of my favorite modern comic writers, I'll give anything with his name on it a shot. This has been on my list for some time, and I picked up this used copy of the first collected volume while talking about it with Jake, owner of my favorite local comic shop. We were on the topic of Saga when he remembered the store had just gotten this copy in, so I grabbed it.

The world is a beautiful blend of sci-fi and fantasy; two different alien factions at war with one another, one led by robotic royalty, the other a group of horn-headed magic users. In this long and bloodied war, two members of the opposing forces fall in love and have a child. This is where the story opens, quite literally with the child's birth.

The story is told through narration. The narrator, we soon learn, is the newborn. Her parents, a former prison guard and a soldier-turned pacifist, are on the run from their respective peoples who don't want word of a union between the two races reaching the "rank and file." I mean, that could spoil the war. The first volume deals with this new family's escape from the planet they are currently on as they set out to make a new life for themselves.

I love everything about this first book. The character designs are amazing, the world-building is unique and beautifully handled, Fiona Staples' art is fantastic, and the dialogue and characterization are on point. Seriously, this is one I would recommend to anyone, as long as you're okay with a bit of language and some graphic violence. Can't wait to pick up the next volume! ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 14, 2015 |
Brilliant illustration. Really enjoyed the large graphics and the colors instead of the usual congested panes and too much darkness.

Storyline seemed new. Abuse, lurid and sexually explicit art was in abundant form. Didn't notice any age limit on fine prints.

Would like to see how the story continues. Would be interesting to see the kid a bit grown and eventually her becoming the lead character. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + Designsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is how an idea becomes real.
After us locals die, we get to live on as "spiritual defenders of Cleave."
But clearly, that's a suck-ass evolutionary plan, since your two armies had no problem wiping our people off the map.

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe" -- p. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,755,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible