Wonder Woman, Vol. 02: Guts by Brian…

Wonder Woman, Vol. 02: Guts (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang (Illustrator)

Member:catfantastic
Title:Wonder Woman, Vol. 02: Guts
Authors:Brian Azzarello
Other authors:Cliff Chiang (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2013), Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:graphic novel, superheroes, wonder woman, read in 2013

Wonder Woman Volume 2: Guts by Brian Azzarello (2012)

I'm not really a fan of Wonder Woman, I think, at least not in this incarnation. I'm not fond of the character designs, except maybe for Strife (but she reminded me of someone else; maybe a Neil Gaiman character?) and Wonder Woman herself, and the plot just... Nah.

I can take some tweaks to my mythology (hello Thor), but this was strangely closer to the actual mythology and further from the spirit of the mythology. Or something. The bickering among the gods, Hera's jealousy, etc -- it all makes sense within Greek myth, but they seemed cardboard cutouty, which Thor and Loki do not. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 12, 2014 |
The Greco-Roman Gods continue to fight over Zeus' latest baby.

Beautifully detailed graphics add to the characters, plot, and actions.

Characters continue to develop both as individuals,in their compassion, and with their abilities.

Overall, an enjoyable read. ( )
  catya77 | Mar 2, 2014 |
Volume 2 of the "New 52" Wonder Woman. Good story, good art. The gods of the past - Hermes, Eros, War, etc - appear in supporting roles, like they have in the past. This time, though, the gods are reinterpreted drastically different. ( )
  hobreads | Oct 13, 2013 |
Easy and appropriate read for teens, and another stellar addition to the New 52. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 28, 2013 |
Wonder Woman and Hermes travel to the underworld to rescue Zola, the young woman who is carrying the child of Zeus. Once in hell, Wonder Woman finds herself the bride of Hades. Then, the fighting takes them to Mount Olympus where Apollo and Artemis are determined to take the throne of the absent Zeus.

Once again, I find Cliff Chiang's art fantastic and distinctive. The designs of the gods are unique and interesting. The scenes in Hades are imaginative and exciting. Unfortunately, we still don't get to see a lot of Diana/Wonder Woman's character. There was one line she spoke, in Hades, where I thought "oh yes, this is my Wonder Woman!" but it seemed almost out-of-character for what little we've seen of this new Diana. I think the problem is we don't get to see her thoughts, and she doesn't even get much dialogue, so it's hard to get a handle on her new personality.

My biggest complaint with this new reboot version of Wonder Woman is the treatment of the Amazons. Instead of being a beautiful utopia with lessons of peace and love to give the world, this "Paradise" is full of murderers who periodically attack ships, seduce and murder all of the men on board, and then give their male babies up into slavery. Gone are the immortal, wise and peaceful Amazons of all previous WW incarnations.

I don't hate this arc, but in terms of story and character, it doesn't hold a candle to George Perez's or Greg Rucka's work. ( )
  catfantastic | Jan 17, 2013 |

Brian Azzarelloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, CliffIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please - you don't understand...

"Wonder Woman goes to hell! After playing Posidon, Hades, and Hera against each other, Hades strikes back by kidnapping Zola and trapping her in the Underworld. It's up to Wonder Woman--with a little help from the God of Love and the God of Smiths--to break Zola out. But what is Hades' real game, and once you get into the land of the dead, how exactly do you get out?"--Amazon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible