Wonder Woman, Vol. 02: Guts by Brian…

Wonder Woman, Vol. 02: Guts (edition 2013)

by Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang (Illustrator)

Member:catfantastic
Title:Wonder Woman, Vol. 02: Guts
Authors:Brian Azzarello
Other authors:Cliff Chiang (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2013), Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:graphic novel, superheroes, wonder woman, read in 2013, new 52

Wonder Woman Volume 2: Guts by Brian Azzarello

Wonder Woman along with a wounded Hermes and the strong Lennox (his body is the consistency of rocks and he is the son of Zeus) are looking to find a way to get the pregnant Zola out of the Underworld where Hades has her. But they will need weapons first and those can only come from Hephaestus, god of the forge. So they go to Eros, his son and ask him to get them in to see his father. While there Wonder Woman finds out that the men who work there are all Amazonian men that were traded away for weapons rather than be killed as they were seen as useless to the Amazonians. She is shocked and tries to free them from what she perceives as their bondage, but really they are free to work there and they like to work there and Wonder Woman makes a fool of herself in her ignorance.

But Hephaestus does agree to loan them some weapons and even Eros lets them borrow his special guns. But only Wonder Woman and Hermes will be going down to the Underworld. Hermes because he can take someone there and Wonder Woman to get Zola. While there things go horribly wrong of course and while Zola is saved, Wonder Woman is stuck in the Underworld with Hades to be his bride. A rescue mission is underway but as Hephaestus says Wonder Woman can take care of herself. Meanwhile, there is a rush for who will take Zeus's throne.

The moody blues and bright oranges and reds really set the tone for Hades and the river of blood is something to behold. The drawings are incredible and Hades does not quite look like what I would imagine. The images of the dead are creepy as they ought to be and a person I won't name that they run into down there is unbelievably drawn and created here. This book is a great follow-up to the first book and makes you wonder where the series is going to go next. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jun 16, 2017 |
I'm of two minds on this TPB. If I just read it as a story about Greek gods and a half mortal who's fight them, and trying to save humans from their grasps it's a good, even great story. I love how each of the Greek gods is drawn and portrayed, the art totally fit who their characters were.

Unfortunately it isn't a random story, instead it's a Wonder Woman TPB. And I'm still quite pissed at what they're doing to the character.

We meet more of Wonder Woman's family. Hephaestus, Eros, Aphrodite, Hades, etc. And Wonder Woman and her posse go after the pregnant Zola, which is a bit hard since they have to literally go to hell to do it.

It's a solid three star TPB, I just found it lacking as a Wonder Woman TPB. ( )
1 vote DanieXJ | Jun 19, 2016 |
I have read these fantastic New 52 Wonder Woman books out of order, but they are no worse for that. What a splendid idea to link Wonder Woman's story to the magnificently dysfunctional pettiness of the Greek Gods! In this edition, Wonder Woman faces conflict, spite and betrayal from various of these beings as she strives to protect the unborn child of Zola, the last and latest mortal woman to be impregnated by mighty Zeus. Hades wants to marry her. Apollo and Artemis want to destroy her. But Wonder Woman is a child of Zeus too -- and she holds her own. Azarello and Chiang tap into the rich stories of the Greek myths, and mix in their own with great style. Oh yes, and having already read War in this series, I love it that Hades gives an intimation of what is to come in that book. ( )
  questbird | Jun 19, 2016 |
Wonder Woman continues on her quest to protect Zoe (who may be carrying a child who will kill Zeus) from the Greek gods, each of whom have their own plan for the infant. In this trade WW has to figure out how to escape from Hades, who wants her as his bride. The Underworld is fairly imaginatively creepy, but I couldn't help but think how much better it would have come across in the hands of an inspired artist like JH Williams III. The petty but vicious squabbles between the gods didn't interest me much, and their dialog fell flat for me. WW is still the best, though--I'm glad Azzarello hasn't made her too gritty and let her maintain a moral center. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Wonder Woman goes down to the underworld to save Zola from Hades. I had also read these in issues a long time ago. I continue to be amazed by the different ways that the artists came up with to portray the greek gods and I still love the story. I'm really enjoying the reread. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Brian Azzarelloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chiang, CliffIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Please - you don't understand...

"Wonder Woman goes to hell! After playing Posidon, Hades, and Hera against each other, Hades strikes back by kidnapping Zola and trapping her in the Underworld. It's up to Wonder Woman--with a little help from the God of Love and the God of Smiths--to break Zola out. But what is Hades' real game, and once you get into the land of the dead, how exactly do you get out?"--Amazon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible