The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

The Lost Art of Mixing (edition 2013)

by Erica Bauermeister

Member:epkwrsmith
Title:The Lost Art of Mixing
Authors:Erica Bauermeister
Info:Putnam Adult (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

Recently added byeigram, private library, Jenna.Czaplewski, Kate.Good, pw0327, nancynova, coho8, AAM_mommy

Erica Beuermeister has a real gift for narration. Her descriptions of the inner lives of her characters are insightful and reaches deep into her own very fertile imagination. She also has a way of weaving the seemingly disorganized and unrelated lives. Which is what makes her books so charming and interesting. This is a book that kind of repeats the formula of The School of Essential Ingredients, she brings unrelated people together in a food obsessed milieu and then she very incisively and expertly cuts through the messy emotions and details and gets at the basis of each of the characters personality.

The only down side is that her modus operandi is becoming too familiar and too familiar to the reading public. This didn't keep me from reading the book of course, she is too good at what she does to keep me from her talents, but it does make me pause with much impatience whenever I get to the moments of awkward and trite transitions.

I enjoyed the book, I liked the stories and I liked the way she pulls the stories together. It is a guilty pleasure to read her novels because I know it is light and I know it is inconsequential, but it is also entertaining and satisfying. ( )
  pw0327 | Jun 17, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this story of intertwining lives. Bauermeister does a better job than many of mixing back story and current story for each of her sympathetic characters. ( )
  ylferif | Apr 25, 2014 |
a few chapters in I can tell that I adore this book and I'm going to need to own a copy.
Sort of picks up where The School of Essential Ingredients left off, at Lillian's restaurant. But instead of cooking classes, it follows continuing adventures of some of the people the first book introduced.
Lovely turns of phrases and imagery throughout. Reading the first book is probably a good idea.
Although there were plenty of gorgeous food descriptions, I wished for more cooking class scenes, or, you know, any. But this book was more about interconnected stories, even out in the world outside the restaurant.

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

National bestselling author Erica Bauermeister returns to the enchanting world of The School of Essential Ingredients in this luminous sequel.

Lillian and her restaurant have a way of drawing people together. There’s Al, the accountant who finds meaning in numbers and ritual; Chloe, a budding chef who hasn’t learned to trust after heartbreak; Finnegan, quiet and steady as a tree, who can disappear into the background despite his massive height; Louise, Al’s wife, whose anger simmers just below the boiling point; and Isabelle, whose memories are slowly slipping from her grasp. And there’s Lillian herself, whose life has taken a turn she didn’t expect. . . .

Their lives collide and mix with those around them, sometimes joining in effortless connections, at other times sifting together and separating again, creating a family that is chosen, not given. A beautifully imagined novel about the ties that bind—and links that break—The Lost Art of Mixing is a captivating meditation on the power of love, food, and companionship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:33 -0400)

Restaurant owner Lillian manages an unexpected challenge while sharing her days with a circle of friends and regulars, including ritual-performing accountant Al, heartbroken chef Chloe, and unobtrusive giant Finnegan.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,641,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible