The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

The Lost Art of Mixing (edition 2013)

by Erica Bauermeister

2024758,111 (3.75)19
Member:epkwrsmith
Title:The Lost Art of Mixing
Authors:Erica Bauermeister
Info:Putnam Adult (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

I adored. Absolutely and utterly adored The School of Essential Ingredients. It came as part of a package when I received The Lost Art of Mixing so that I could read it first.

While food features so prominently with the relationships in The School of Essential Ingredients, it doesn't here. There, the story revolved around the recipes; the cooking and ingredients. Smell and aroma were very evocative. Here we see remembrances of days past and how they blend into the future. Relationships that seem to be whispers and fleeing touches instead mix together into a rich tapestry of friendship and love.

Like the first novel, the characters here tell their stories in alternating chapters and they all come together in the end. Lillian, Chloe, Isabelle and Tom all return and we see new characters added and unexpected surprises. I particularly enjoyed Isabelle who is more central to this story than Lillian. The peek into Isabelle's world of forgotten memories is so bittersweet and yet, her influence on others is felt in so many subtle ways. I love Erica Bauermeister's grasp of language. Her writing is expressive and lyrical and truly a joy to read.
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read the first book in this series and liked it so there's no surprise that I liked this one as well. It's an easy read with likable characters, who I was was glad to catch up on (from the first book). ( )
  Sharn | Sep 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After reading The School of Essential Ingredients, I was looking forward to going back to cooking school and mingling with the students at Lillian's restaurant. However, the sequel is more about the lives of the students than the cooking school or the recipes. (The food metaphors made the book extra delightful!) Lost Art of Mixing is written in a style similar to the first book with alternating chapters from the viewpoint of the students. Several characters return from the first story, plus a few new students are introduced. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book, but it was still an enjoyable read with richly-drawn characters and much descriptive imagery. ( )
  UnderMyAppleTree | Aug 25, 2014 |

National bestselling author Erica Bauermeister returns to the enchanting world of The School of Essential Ingredients in this luminous sequel.

Lillian and her restaurant have a way of drawing people together. There’s Al, the accountant who finds meaning in numbers and ritual; Chloe, a budding chef who hasn’t learned to trust after heartbreak; Finnegan, quiet and steady as a tree, who can disappear into the background despite his massive height; Louise, Al’s wife, whose anger simmers just below the boiling point; and Isabelle, whose memories are slowly slipping from her grasp. And there’s Lillian herself, whose life has taken a turn she didn’t expect. . . .

Their lives collide and mix with those around them, sometimes joining in effortless connections, at other times sifting together and separating again, creating a family that is chosen, not given. A beautifully imagined novel about the ties that bind—and links that break—The Lost Art of Mixing is a captivating meditation on the power of love, food, and companionship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

Restaurant owner Lillian manages an unexpected challenge while sharing her days with a circle of friends and regulars, including ritual-performing accountant Al, heartbroken chef Chloe, and unobtrusive giant Finnegan.

72 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,417,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible