The Truth About Love and Lightning: A Novel…

The Truth About Love and Lightning: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Susan McBride

Member:whitreidtan
Title:The Truth About Love and Lightning: A Novel
Authors:Susan McBride
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Truth About Love and Lightning by Susan McBride

Recently added bycnpofohio, murphyrules, tennwisc

This book was a quick, frivolous read. The story follows a woman who had a child as a teenager and explores her connections to her daughter and her lost love (the latter of whom was not the father of the child). While the story is sweet and magical, it failed to really draw me in. I found myself finding the "magic" too unbelievable and had difficulty relating to the characters or their circumstances. However, I was interested enough in finding out the identity of the mysterious stranger that showed up on the farm to keep reading, even though I guessed before the ending who he was. The tension and pacing were lacking. Overall, this is an okay book to read if you really want an "escape" novel that is predictable and quaint. But if you want really good story telling and complexity of character and theme, I'd go elsewhere. ( )
  chicbanjo | Jul 20, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm usually a big fan of Susan McBride. This one was a little hard to get into, thought. As much as I wanted to love it, it was hard for me to finish. ( )
  xhollishx | Jun 20, 2014 |
What one of us would not like a man whose arrival was heralded by lightning? Although this book has a somewhat predictable plot, the characters are unique, a pair of blind twins with different talents in compensation, a woman with a big secret and her daughter. This was a fun read, somewhat magical in places, with a family value type of lesson, about hope and love. This will appeal to readers who like Sarah Addison Allen and her whimsical stories. ( )
  Beamis12 | Apr 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I so enjoyed this book. I love the magical aspects, the whole life cycle of the walnut grove, the characters, everything. This author reminds me of Sarah Addison Allen. I found the question of truth to be quite intersting. Is it better to lie or to be blunt and truthful even though it may be hurtful? This is the theme that runs throughout the story. This story is so heartwarming and genuine. I felt these people could be my neighbors. Each character had such an interesting story and woven together created a wonderful book. Is it predictable, yes, but the characters are so great and the stories getting to that ending are well worth the read. ( )
1 vote bnbookgirl | Mar 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This spell binding book of family secrets and lost loved ones, combines rural common sense and charming magic. This novel has fresh, believable characters that burst into life from the first page. Spellbinding and hard to put down. ( )
1 vote samaree | Mar 3, 2013 |
"Seamlessly toggling between decades, McBride delivers a poignant page-turner with flawed but lovable characters."
added by SusanMcBride | editPublishers Weekly (Dec 10, 2012)

"As far as Gretchen Brink is concerned the tornado that just ripped through her land has nothing on the storms of a different sort happening all around her. Her grown daughter, Abby, has returned home with news that she's pregnant and no, she's not sure if she's going to marry the father or not. A man with no memory was dropped practically on her doorstep. And the not so little white lie she's been telling for years is about to catch up with her. Abby is sure that the mysterious man is her long-lost father Sam, who has finally returned just when she needs him most. As Abby, Gretchen, and Sam get closer, the lie Gretchen told all those years ago begins to haunt her. When her secrets come out, and Sam's past is finally revealed, will it tear down this fragile life they've built-or will the truth bring them all closer together?"--… (more)

Susan McBride is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Truth About Love and Lightning by Susan McBride was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,158,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible