Clean: A Mindspace Investigations Novel by…

Clean: A Mindspace Investigations Novel (edition 2012)

by Alex Hughes

Member:darkpurpose
Title:Clean: A Mindspace Investigations Novel
Authors:Alex Hughes
Info:Roc (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

Clean by Alex Hughes

Clean reminds me of [b:Unshapely Things|388793|Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)|Mark Del Franco|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309138300s/388793.jpg|378412]: the main character, a telepath, is damaged (an addict in this case, a loss of ability in Unshapely Things), who got kicked out of the Guild (people with abilities in this book, Fae in Unshapely Things) and who is now working for the police as a consultant.
I didn't get the character's name until the very end - the last two lines of the book. It's Adam. Weird. When I've read those lines, my first though was "Who's Adam?"

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
A different type of setting -- the future where tech is shunned. A telepathic criminal investigation plot -- very inventive. Enjoyed the first person writing and was drawn in to having good overcome evil and for Cherabino. ( )
  skraft001 | Sep 15, 2016 |
This is a story set some time in the future where society has drawn back from Tech because of the destruction of the Tech Wars.
The hero is an extremely powerful telepath, working for the police on sufferance because he's been thrown out of the Guild because of a drug addiction he's constantly fighting. He's not trusted by anyone, and with reason as he's very much an addict.
He's involved in a very dangerous investigation against powerful enemies which reaches back to the Guild itself and they don't appreciate the investigation, especially by him and he really doesn't want to bring himself back to their attention. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Okay, so, I read these as audiobooks.

I..... think I love this narrator. He is who should have subbed in for James Marsters in the Dresden series when he wasn't available. And he brings the same level of resigned determination to his narration that Marsters does, which gives this book a flavor that reminded me very strongly of Dresden.

You might argue this isn't urban fantasy. It is, but with a sci-fi, techy feel to it. Telepath in an anti-telepath's world.

Either way, I devoured this series -- what's available of it. I loved them. And I can't wait for more. I can't believe these are as poorly known as they are. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
To Paula Gillispie and Julie Gray, because I promised.  To Dan Marshall, because he deserves it.
My first interview of the night was Esperanza Mensalez-Mar, a thirty-something woman dressed in a pink-pressed suit I suspected cost more than my last paycheck.

"I used to work for the Telepath's Guild before they kicked me out for a drug habit that wasn't entirely my fault. Now I work for the cops, helping Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino put killers behind bars. My ability to get inside the twisted minds of suspects makes me the best interrogator in the department. But the normals keep me on a short leash. When the Tech Wars ripped the world apart, the Guild stepped up to save it. But they had to get scary to do it-- real scary. Now the cops don't trust the telepaths, the Guild doesn't trust me, a serial killer is stalking the city-- and I'm aching for a fix. But I need to solve this case. Fast. I've just had a vision of the future: I'm the next to die" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,747,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible