Clean: A Mindspace Investigations Novel by…

Clean: A Mindspace Investigations Novel (edition 2012)

by Alex Hughes

Title:Clean: A Mindspace Investigations Novel
Authors:Alex Hughes
Info:Roc (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Clean by Alex Hughes

Clean reminds me of [b:Unshapely Things|388793|Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)|Mark Del Franco|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309138300s/388793.jpg|378412]: the main character, a telepath, is damaged (an addict in this case, a loss of ability in Unshapely Things), who got kicked out of the Guild (people with abilities in this book, Fae in Unshapely Things) and who is now working for the police as a consultant.
I didn't get the character's name until the very end - the last two lines of the book. It's Adam. Weird. When I've read those lines, my first though was "Who's Adam?"

Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
Okay, so, I read these as audiobooks.

I..... think I love this narrator. He is who should have subbed in for James Marsters in the Dresden series when he wasn't available. And he brings the same level of resigned determination to his narration that Marsters does, which gives this book a flavor that reminded me very strongly of Dresden.

You might argue this isn't urban fantasy. It is, but with a sci-fi, techy feel to it. Telepath in an anti-telepath's world.

Either way, I devoured this series -- what's available of it. I loved them. And I can't wait for more. I can't believe these are as poorly known as they are. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
In preparing for this review, I skimmed some of the other reviews. I was surprised to see they are all over the board – from “I couldn’t finish it” to “OMG this is amazing!” I really enjoyed Clean the first time I read it, and I’ve read it several times since. I would have to really nitpick to find something about the book I didn’t like.

In the not-too-distant future, technology has gone horribly wrong, and its use is limited. Some of the population is gifted with telepathic powers, and these people stepped up to save the world. Now they are feared, but powerful and useful. The rich history and background of the world in Clean is perfect for my style of reading. The reader never learns everything about the past, but little bits are revealed throughout the story.

The way Hughes writes about telepathy from the telepath’s point of view is pretty neat as well. It’s fascinating to see a peek into someone brain, to see what they might be thinking or feeling. Watching the protagonist interview suspects, interpret their thoughts, and manipulate them into thinking what he needs to know is both captivating and scary.

One thing I really appreciated about Clean is how the protagonist views his partner. Cherabino is a tough detective with a haunted past, which causes her to appear pretty bitchy at times. Despite that, the protagonist never loses faith in her, never gets tired of her or fed up with her attitude. He can see into her mind, knows what’s causing her outward behavior, and yet sees her for who she really is. I think we all crave that kind of acceptance in our lives.

The protagonist does get a little whiny – he’s lost a lot and feels very put upon by the indignities of his new status. However, compared to most regular people I work with, he’s a model for stoic acceptance. :)

Overall, like I said, I’d have to really nitpick to find something about this novel I didn’t like. I really love the characters and the world and hope we get to see more of them both in the future.

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Sep 4, 2015 |
The title is very accurate. It clearly identifies two of the overriding themes in the novel:
a) the struggle to overcome addiction (and all the baggage that accumulates with an addict), and
b) the difficulties faced by a recovering addict when investigating murders - given a)

The fact that is is set in an urban fantasy world - and has tech/abilities that don't exist (yet) - doesn't change the fact that this is primarily a strong detective novel with a flawed main character. The setting has changed from the traditional noir detective novel, but the story is still a noir detective novel.

There was a lot of self-absorption from the main character but that was logical since he is a recovering addict - and a moderately unwilling one at that. There was a lot of "baggage" from the past that is never explicitly defined for the reader - this baggage affected the main character's relationship with his current partner, his job, his past, and even with the bad guy, but we are not given any of the details around this. We are told only that "main character has a past, was kicked from the guild for it, and lost his fiancee because of it", and we know that every decision he makes or action he takes now stems from that past. One would think this would ruin the story, but it does not. It's the traditional noir "flawed detective" except the source of the flaw is a weird drug (rather than the usual alcohol) and the residual effects on his life revolve around his experiences in the guild and his remaining ties to it (rather than the usual military, PTSD or childhood abuse rationale).

Overall, this was a wonderful find: I like urban fantasy, I like noir, and I like flawed main characters who are fundamentally good. I will be reading the rest in the series. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jun 19, 2015 |
Solidly fun, with a compelling narrator; I could wish for the worldbuilding to be a little more fleshed out sometimes. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Dec 14, 2014 |
To Paula Gillispie and Julie Gray, because I promised.  To Dan Marshall, because he deserves it.
My first interview of the night was Esperanza Mensalez-Mar, a thirty-something woman dressed in a pink-pressed suit I suspected cost more than my last paycheck.

"I used to work for the Telepath's Guild before they kicked me out for a drug habit that wasn't entirely my fault. Now I work for the cops, helping Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino put killers behind bars. My ability to get inside the twisted minds of suspects makes me the best interrogator in the department. But the normals keep me on a short leash. When the Tech Wars ripped the world apart, the Guild stepped up to save it. But they had to get scary to do it-- real scary. Now the cops don't trust the telepaths, the Guild doesn't trust me, a serial killer is stalking the city-- and I'm aching for a fix. But I need to solve this case. Fast. I've just had a vision of the future: I'm the next to die" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,909,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible