A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King

Info:Scribners (2012), e-book
Collections:Your library, Short Stories and Novellas, Kindle, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2

A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King

Stephen King has a true talant when it comes to writing that he can make an ordinary story about a man seeing dead people on the telly (I see dead people! lol) and making it really entertaining. This isn't a great story, but it's good, really good. An easy read for an evening when you feel like reading something short and good. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Clever. Enjoyable, even if you're not a baseball fan. Not his best work, but ultimately readable and fun. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Dean Evers is a lonely man since his wife died. He spends a lot of time watching the Rays play ball. When he begins seeing friends sitting in the stands behind home plate he doesn't get excited like most people would-he gets scared. That's because the old friends are dead. Each game is a new old face.

Only Stephen King can turn a baseball game into a scary story. A quick and easy read. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Nov 10, 2013 |
Only read the first short story, having been familiar with the other two books for a while. It was nice and melancholic, very well written. ( )
  Hana.Dooren.Richter | Sep 22, 2013 |
BAAAAASSSSEEEEBBBAAAALLLLLL!!!! *shakes fist*

I like baseball. Well, I like watching it. Not really reading about it, so the fact that King loves writing about it is... Well, I forgive him. He's King.

But thankfully, this story was less about the baseball than it was about the guy watching baseball. And though this is a very short story, only 32 pages on my Nook, it was a good one. Not great, and not really up to the standards that I've come to expect from King, but good.

I think it just lacked a little something to really bring it to life. Maybe it was the length that worked against it. We got a rough sketch of the characters in the story, but King's characters are usually masterpieces, and I found myself wanting to know more about them.

Still, for what this story is, it's good. Entertaining, a quick read, and not all baseball stats and plays, which I was kind of dreading.

He made me want to read a Harlan Coben book too, which is always a plus. Thanks for the rec, Papa King! :D ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Nan, Stewertmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Dean Evers, an elderly widower, sits in front of the television with nothing better to do than waste his leftover evenings watching baseball. It’s Rays/Mariners, and David Price is breezing through the line-up. Suddenly, in a seat a few rows up beyond the batter, Evers sees the face of someone from decades past, someone who shouldn’t be at the ballgame, shouldn’t be on the planet. And so begins a parade of people from Evers’s past, all of them occupying that seat behind home plate. Until one day Dean Evers sees someone even eerier...

"Dean Evers, an elderly widower, sits in front of the television with nothing better to do than waste his leftover evenings watching baseball. It's Rays/Mariners, and David Price is breezing through the line-up. Suddenly, in a seat a few rows up beyond the batter, Evers sees the face of someone from decades past, someone who shouldn't be at the ballgame, shouldn't be on the planet. And so begins a parade of people from Evers's past, all of them occupying that seat behind home plate. Until one day Dean Evers sees someone even eerier"--Container.… (more)

12 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible