MAKERS―21世紀の産業革命が始まる…

Info:NHK出版 (2012), 単行本, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Startups, History, Business, Entrepreneurship

Makers: The New Industrial Revolution by Chris Anderson

English (12)  French (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (16)
Very good book, but I must disclose that I was primed to probably like it. I've subscribed to Make magazine since 2006, love to tinker, used to love to code, have been watching 3D printing from the fringe for some years now watching the prices drop, and ...

Anyway, I like the breadth of Anderson's coverage. He's spot on...this is the next revolution. It's a Maker's world. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
A good overview of the postive changes taking place in both the economy and society with the rise of small batch manufacturing,open source initiatives, and communities of people who like to tinker and improve stuff. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
'Makers' suggests a future where the manufacture of many/most goods may shift to an entirely different model -- customized limited run production guided by an open community of designers and collaborators. Custom products become mainstream and the means to tailor and adapt and reshape everyday commodities becomes available to all. Anderson demonstrates and illustrates numerous examples from his own startup -- building and customizing drone aircraft for hobbiests.

While I'm unsure that Anderson's experiences can anticipate the trajectory of 'Making' in the mainstream (his 'Drones R Us' business is not exactly the typical ma and pa corner store), the scenarios he proposes are plausible and are but a small step along a continuum that we've already seen instantiated (e.g. the recent news story of a pistol fabbed using a commodity 3D printer). At the very least, Anderson's story is engaging and imaginative. And I came away wanting to read more about how his 'revolution' is actually taking shape. ( )
  randcraw | Nov 22, 2014 |
So, there's a project spinning up locally called Innovation 5 that's all about 3-D production and maker culture. I figured I'd better read up on what that meant, so I found and checked out this book.

This was a pretty good catching-up on what's been happening and what some of the potential implications are. Anderson's biases (some boys-will-be-boys crap, hand-waving dismissal of environmental costs...) made me roll my eyes in some places. But it remained readable and interesting, and was even occasionally inspiring. For instance, I want a Maker-Bot. Now.

Accomplished its job. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Another interesting book from Chris Anderson.

The good:
He's really good at taking an emerging trend and packaging what makes this interesting and important for a specific audience. (Business people and the management crowd.)

He's got some quality first hand experience as an entrepreneur in the emerging maker economy.

He has a well polished style of writing that is clear, accessible, and interesting.

This is an important subject covered with care and love.

The Questionable:
He's an advocate. Anderson is a poster-boy for the Internet Exceptionalists (the group who claim that emerging IT tools are making the world a different place.) and tends to be very enthusiastic.

I recommend when reading it to keep the question: "how is this different from the status quo?" in the front of your mind. For many people, this will not be interesting because they prefer to buy things made by professionals, rather than design or make them themselves. Diffrn't Strokes for Diffrn't folks and all that.

Overall, I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in maker-spaces, since this is both a primer and an explanation of what they are and why there are important.

It should be especially interesting to library-maker-space proponents, but if you've gone so far as to be in favor of maker-spaces in libraries, I'm assuming you've already read it. If not, this should be your next book. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307720950, Hardcover)

Wired magazine editor and bestselling author Chris Anderson takes you to the front lines of a new industrial revolution as today’s entrepreneurs, using open source design and 3-D printing, bring manufacturing to the desktop.  In an age of custom-fabricated, do-it-yourself product design and creation, the collective potential of a million garage tinkerers and enthusiasts is about to be unleashed, driving a resurgence of American manufacturing.  A generation of “Makers” using the Web’s innovation model will help drive the next big wave in the global economy, as the new technologies of digital design and rapid prototyping gives everyone the power to invent -- creating “the long tail of things”.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

"Wired" magazine editor and bestselling author Anderson takes readers to the front lines of a new industrial revolution as today's entrepreneurs, using open source design and 3-D printing, bring manufacturing to the desktop.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,485,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible