Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs

Sellevision (2000)

by Augusten Burroughs

"You exposed your penis on national television, Max." The first line of the book and it's a wild ride from that point. Max the flasher in question is one of the hosts of a home shopping show for the Sellevision network. We follow Max's story and some of the other hosts from the network. Max is termed right after that first sentence and tries out for various other jobs. There's Peggy Jean a good Christian woman who finds herself with a stalker and turns to drugs and alcohol to try and cope. Bebe is the networks longest running hostess who has a bit of a shopping problem herself. There's also a younger hostess who's having an affair with the married boss. Throw in another philandering husband, a dry cleaner, a psychotic child with anger issues and you've got most of the characters in the book. Truly a hilarious book and you can't help but wonder what awful thing the characters are going to fall into next. Unlike most I did like this as much or more than Burroughs memoirs. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Nov 11, 2018 |
Not as good as his non-fiction stuff but I still enjoyed it. I can see this one being turned into a script for a quirky indie film. ( )
  Charlie_Boling | Apr 19, 2017 |
I didn't love this book. This is the first novel written by Augusten Burroughs, and while it was entertaining, it wasn't as funny or as interesting as his autobiographical pieces. What is great about Sellevision, is that you get a chance to see how Burroughs' writing talents developed, if you have read his more seasoned work first. So, I'm glad I read it. It was a quick and entertaining read, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has never read any of the author's books. Running with Scissors is by far, his masterpiece. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
Adequate- definitely not up to the author's potential, I like his memoirs a lot better. But it was entertaining enough and fairly funny in a quirky sort of way. ( )
  DianaFord | Jan 5, 2016 |
A cute fun summer beach read. The characters and their events are zany, out loud laughable, and wanting you to hope they make this a movie! ( )
  iowabooker | Jun 6, 2015 |
You exposed your penis on national television, Max. What am I supposed to do?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312422288, Paperback)

Light and funny, with a bitter aftertaste, the action of Sellevision takes place behind the scenes (and on the set) of a successful television shopping network, where a feminine role model, Peggy Jean Smythe, the married, Christian mother of three, begins receiving suspicious e-mail from a viewer who insists that Peggy's hairy earlobe is obscuring her presentation of jewelry during the broadcast. When Peggy fails to respond to the e-mail, but silently waxes her lobe, the cruel notes escalate, until Peggy believes herself to be suffering from a hormonal crisis that has given her a mustache, a gruff voice, and the manner of a lumberjack. Meanwhile, one of her cohosts, Max Andrews, has been fired for accidentally exposing himself during a children's special, and learns just how undesirable a commodity a penis-baring ex-Sellevision host can be on the job market. The book is an unusually smooth read for a first novel, with six or seven truly inspired lines. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:12 -0400)

Sellevision, America's premier retail broadcasting network, confronts its first juicy scandal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,830,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible