Dr. Strange: Season One by Greg Pak

Dr. Strange: Season One (edition 2012)

by Greg Pak, Emma Rios

Info:MARVEL - US (2012), Hardcover, 136 pages
Tags:read, comic, superhero

Dr. Strange: Season One by Greg Pak

Review originally posted on my blog, Dee's Reads

Doctor Strange arrived mysteriously on my doorstep around my birthday. Turns out an old friend of mine sent it to me out of the blue as a birthday gift (don't you just love Amazon wish lists?!) He thought I'd like it, and because I was asking about it (they're making a movie of it — what?! )

So. I was intrigued. Plus, I don't know why but something about holding a new graphic novel in your hands just makes me excited. The smell is just so unique and fresh…booklovers. you know what I mean about smells. For some reason the new graphic novel is the smell I love, not used or even just not perfectly brand new. BUT I DIGRESS.
The book. Okay, yes.

Marvel graphic novels and I aren't best friends. I just don't love superhero graphic novels *hides in partial-shame* I'm only partially ashamed because I know I'm missing out on some awesomeness but I am more of a story-girl. I like unique stories with fantasy elements like magic and shit.

I feel like doing something different. I wrote a little scene with Doctor Strange and myself.
It's very short, has nothing to do with the plot of the book, and serves no purpose toward my actual review or feelings of the graphic novel.
It's purely useless (or for fun, if you will).

Doctor Strange Walks Into a Bar

Setting: A dive bar in Los Angeles

…in walks Doctor Strange…

..After sitting in the stool next to me, he smiles and buys me a drink. The bartender seems to know exactly what to make without saying a word.

He slides the frosty drink over to me, anticipating the question on my tongue by stating;

"..it's a Tom Collins."

I inhale quickly, astonished. It's my favorite drink. I sputter stupidly,

"how did you know?"

Ever mysterious and sexy, Doctor Strange merely smiles and winks as he rises from the rickety stool.
I stare in awe as he strides out of the bar (presumably to do some crazy magic tricks after performing surgery on a dying man with a spoon and a straw).

I definitely needed to come back to this bar tomorrow night.

——————————————

Frivolous stories aside…

What is this graphic novel about?
A highly renowned surgeon loses his ability to save lives when his hands are injured. We see him climbing a tall mountain in the East…searching for something mystical (which he doesn't really believe in but he is so desperate he is on his last hope).

After many interesting turns in the plot we get the Doctor and a young woman (with a pure heart) who is the only one who can touch the rings. There's another young man (very snarky) who has been apprenticing for this wise wizard for years (the wizard: think yoda but not green). The Doctor, the young woman, and the snarky young apprentice are on a hunt for magical rings to keep out of reach of an old evil.

The novel references Lord of the Rings multiple times, and I thought it was pretty funny that they acknowledged the similarity. It didn't put me off, I found it hilarious.

I would recommend this graphic novel for lovers of high fantasy. It has humor, a good plot, and stunning graphics with impressive colors on every page.
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |

A window-crashing, high-flying, globe-traveling, ghost-battling adventure from the earliest days of Doctor Strange's training in the mystic arts! Part Indiana Jones, part Lord of the Rings, thrill to this new tale of how a selfish, arrogant surgeon collided with a hot-headed martial artist to become the greatest team the mystic arts have ever seen! If only they can stop hitting each other and figure out how all this magic stuff works anyway. Also featuring DEFENDERS (2012) #1, by Matt Fraction and Terry Dodson.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

This original graphic novel is a window-crashing, high-flying, globe-traveling, ghost-battling adventure from the earliest days of Doctor Strange's training in the mystic arts! Part Indiana Jones, part Lord of the Rings, thrill to this new tale of how a selfish, arrogant surgeon collided with a hot-headed martial artist to become the greatest team the mystic arts have ever seen! If only they can stop hitting each other and figure out how all this magic stuff works anyway. Also features material originally published in magazine form as Defenders #1(2012), by Matt Fraction and Terry Dodson.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,143,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible