Sula by Toni Morrison

Sula (original 1973; edition 2004)

by Toni Morrison

5,10053877 (3.78)1 / 278
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Vintage (2004), Paperback, 192 pages

Sula by Toni Morrison (1973)

I always think I should like Toni Morrison books and each time I read one I remember why I dislike them. I hate the supernatural fiction. For example, in this book there are 3 boys who are all named Dewey and they never grow up and people can't tell them apart, even though they don't look similar or are even the same age. Also the book talked so much about sex. It seems like the main characters are just having random sex all the time. After I finished reading the book I was left with the feeling "What did I just read? None of it makes sense" ( )
  KamGeb | Sep 24, 2016 |
I just reread this--the first time was when I was 19. What struck me most was how little I recognized how transgressive it is the first time around. At 19, Sula's behavior seemed unconventional but I couldn't relate to the reactions of the townspeople. Now grown, with children, married, can I fully appreciate what Toni Morrison was exploring and I am awed by it. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Toni Morrison presents a fascinating, complex, and complicated portrait of life in a racially-divided small Ohio town from 1919-1965. What I found poignant was that the reader meets the African-American residents of this community on their own terms, without a framing gaze to define them. It also challenged me to remember the racial tension that was evident in the small, eastern Ohio town where I spent many summers with my great grandmother; something that hadn't entered my thoughts in a long time. I'm grateful to Toni Morrison, and her beautiful writing, for bringing about this reflection.

This book also presents a feminist-leaning perspective on relationships (especially between females), and the choice to accept or reject society's expectations on you, as well as the ramifications of that choice. This book caused me to reflect on my own childhood and the relationships I had with female friends, and how those relationships have grown and changed. How have my choices impacted my own perspective of my hometown and the people I grew up with? ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
Not nearly as good as The Bluest Eye, but the second part of this novel saved it for me. It's a much more difficult read and not as interesting. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
One of those plots that consists of one thing happening after another (in this case usually much after another; short as it is, it takes place over a good fifty year period) and it's up to the reader to put the meaning of it all together. So it stays with you, but it's a challenge.

I can see why Sula is the title character, but I think it's not just her story - nor just the story of the friendship between her and Nel - but rather it's about the three of them: Shadrack too, and the accident that threw them briefly together.

And the place, of course; of course it's about the place. ( )
  zeborah | Apr 8, 2015 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dorsman-Vos, W.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, OwenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Nobody knew my rose of the world but me.... I had too much glory. They don't want glory like that in nobody's heart."

- The Rose Tattoo
It is sheer good fortune to miss someone long before they leave you. This book is for Ford and Slade, whom I miss although they have not left me.
In that place, where they tore the nightshade and blackberry patches from the roots to make room for the Medallion City Golf Course, there was once a neighborhood.
the only way to avoid the Hand of God is to get in it

Book Description Publication Date: 1982 | Series: Plume Amazon.com Review: In Sula, Toni Morrison, winner of the 1993 Nobel Prize for literature, tells the story of two women--friends since childhood, separated in young adulthood, and reunited as grown women. Nel Wright grows up to become a wife and mother, happy to remain in her hometown of Medallion, Ohio. Sula Peace leaves Medallion to experience college, men, and life in the big city, an exceptional choice for a black woman to make in the late 1920s. As girls, Nel and Sula are the best of friends, only children who find in each other a kindred spirit to share in each girl's loneliness and imagination. When they meet again as adults, it's clear that Nel has chosen a life of acceptance and accommodation, while Sula must fight to defend her seemingly unconventional choices and beliefs. But regardless of the physical and emotional distance that threatens this extraordinary friendship, the bond between the women remains unbreakable: "Her old friend had come home.... Sula, whose past she had lived through and with whom the present was a constant sharing of perceptions. Talking to Sula had always been a conversation with herself." Lyrical and gripping, Sula is an honest look at the power of friendship amid a backdrop of family, love, race, and the human condition. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Traces the lives of two African American women from their youth in small-town Georgia, through divergent paths of womanhood, to their ultimate confrontation and reconciliation.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,684,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible