Flash Point by Nancy Kress

Flash Point (edition 2012)

by Nancy Kress

Member:booktwirps
Title:Flash Point
Authors:Nancy Kress
Info:Viking Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:November 2012
Rating:***

Flash Point by Nancy Kress

This is the story of a poor teenager selected for a reality show that continually throws her into strange or dangerous simulated experiences. The rest of the world watches the scenario and votes on how she probably responded. As the show ratings start to dip, the simulations get scarier.

Kress is known for her ability to create near futures that are frightening, exciting, and plausible. Her attention to the social and economic consequences of technological progress sets her work apart. Unfortunately, I don't think she quite hit her mark in this book. I just don't buy the way the reality show worked. Additionally, there are a number of plot hooks (like Amy having "phantom" visions of the truth of situations, whether Rafe or Violet is involved with the rioters, and what Amy's sister Kaylie is up to) that get dropped in favor of a quick wrap up. That said, I found the first half of this compulsively readable. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
What would you do, what would you put up with, for the money?
It's happened again. The economy has broken. Now, Amy, a sixteen year old who is responsible for her ailing grandmother and rebellious little sister, is handed an opportunity that just might change their desperate situation and provide her grandmother with the medical care she needs. But is the risk worth the payout.
Amy is now a star in a very popular reality television show and the level of danger keeps escalating.
This book was hard to sum up,. but it wasn't at all hard to read. I really enjoyed this book. It was, I admit, less action packed and mysterious than I thought it would be but that did not take away from my enjoyment of this book.
Though it did lack some of the action and adventure that I like in a good dystopian novel, it was rather believable, which is unique to the average dystopian I usually find myself reading. I could easily see these things taking place in our country if the economy were to financially crumble. This fact made the characters seem more real, which in turn made them easier to sympathize with and even relate to.
I found myself drawn into the characters and rooting for Amy while at the same time feeling the hurt over her grandmother and the drama with her little sister. It was not blown out of proportion, another thing that I really liked.
I would recommend this as a fresh take on the over the top dystopian and, in my personal opinion, say that it is in many ways better than the Hungar Games by Suzanne Collins. Definitely worth the read.
  Stephergiggles | Feb 14, 2016 |
Reality TV fans and aspiring stars will relish this dystopian take on the genre. Amy is hired on to the cast of a new reality show and she accepts, primarily because her family needs the money and her ailing grandmother needs health care. But what is the reality if the contestants are reacting to special effects and manipulation? Show producer Myra is hellbent on creating a success in order to erase a past professional failure, but at what cost? The plot pushes relentlessly forward with plenty of action and suspense that teens will love. Amy's realization that nobody truly knows all sides of anyone else seemed an unsatisfyingly easy conclusion. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book felt like the first book someone wrote and thought was a good idea. This means it wasn't HORRIBLE but it wasn't exactly movie magic material either. I at least finished it, which is a good sign. But I could read two chapters, put it down, and go to sleep with no issues. That says something right there.

The story was too scattered. We had too many ideas, too many plot points, too many concepts, not enough of any one story. The whole bit of the main character's mental glitches with "phantoms" was a plot point in and of itself, not just a character quirk as the author tried to use it. The game show could have been great, but it was too scattered with other problems. I think I counted five primary plots of which three get resolved. Maybe.

As someone who wrote how to books about writing, you'd think Nancy Kress would know how to keep things tight. This book didn't feel like it.

If you want to learn things from her, read this book. ( )
  gilroy | Sep 16, 2015 |
A YA book that was very predictable in spots. Felt like a cross between Big Brother and Survivor set a future that still has Twitter, YouTube & Facebook. A 'nice' ending where everybody lives happily ever after... ( )
  skraft001 | Jan 11, 2015 |

Reality TV meets a chillingly realistic version of America--and the fame game is on!

Amy had dreams of going to college, until the Collapse destroyed the economy and her future. Now she is desperate for any job that will help support her terminally ill grandmother and rebellious younger sister. When she finds herself in the running for a slot on a new reality TV show, she signs on the dotted line, despite her misgivings. And she's right to have them. TLN's Who Knows People, Baby--You? has an irresistible premise: correctly predict what the teenage cast will do in a crisis and win millions. But the network has pulled strings to make it work, using everything from 24/7 hidden cameras to life-threatening technology to flat-out rigging. Worse, every time the ratings slip, TLN ups the ante. Soon Amy is fighting for her life--on and off camera.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

Amy had dreams of going to college, until the Collapse destroyed the economy and her future. Now she is desperate for any job that will help support her terminally ill grandmother and rebellious younger sister. When she finds herself in the running for a slot on a new reality TV show, she signs on the dotted line, despite her misgivings. And she's right to have them. TLN's "Who Knows People, Baby--You?" has an irresistible premise: correctly predict what the teenage cast will do in a crisis and win millions. But the network has pulled strings to make it work, using everything from 24/7 hidden cameras to life-threatening technology to flat-out rigging. Worse, every time the ratings slip, TLN ups the ante. Soon Amy is fighting for her life--on and off camera.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible