Flash Point by Nancy Kress

Flash Point (edition 2012)

by Nancy Kress

Member:booktwirps
Title:Flash Point
Authors:Nancy Kress
Info:Viking Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:November 2012
Rating:***

Flash Point by Nancy Kress

Reality TV fans and aspiring stars will relish this dystopian take on the genre. Amy is hired on to the cast of a new reality show and she accepts, primarily because her family needs the money and her ailing grandmother needs health care. But what is the reality if the contestants are reacting to special effects and manipulation? Show producer Myra is hellbent on creating a success in order to erase a past professional failure, but at what cost? The plot pushes relentlessly forward with plenty of action and suspense that teens will love. Amy's realization that nobody truly knows all sides of anyone else seemed an unsatisfyingly easy conclusion. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book felt like the first book someone wrote and thought was a good idea. This means it wasn't HORRIBLE but it wasn't exactly movie magic material either. I at least finished it, which is a good sign. But I could read two chapters, put it down, and go to sleep with no issues. That says something right there.

The story was too scattered. We had too many ideas, too many plot points, too many concepts, not enough of any one story. The whole bit of the main character's mental glitches with "phantoms" was a plot point in and of itself, not just a character quirk as the author tried to use it. The game show could have been great, but it was too scattered with other problems. I think I counted five primary plots of which three get resolved. Maybe.

As someone who wrote how to books about writing, you'd think Nancy Kress would know how to keep things tight. This book didn't feel like it.

If you want to learn things from her, read this book. ( )
  gilroy | Sep 16, 2015 |
A YA book that was very predictable in spots. Felt like a cross between Big Brother and Survivor set a future that still has Twitter, YouTube & Facebook. A 'nice' ending where everybody lives happily ever after... ( )
  skraft001 | Jan 11, 2015 |
Title: Flash Point
Author: Nancy Kress
Ratings: 1 Star

I normally try to complete all the books I start no matter how bad it may be. When I stumbled onto this book at Barnes & Noble, the summary inside the book flap seemed intriguing enough to warrant a read.

I was so wrong.

I stopped reading as soon as I finished chapter 9. That was all I could have stomached. The story that I was reading wasn't as interesting as the story that was promised to me on the book flap. It was dull and fell short of anything promising. The characters were flat too and pretty stereotypical.

The surprising thing is that Nancy Kress is well-known for her writing how-to books (especially the characters guides). I expected much more from her and was disappointed at how unrelatable and how forgettable the characters are in this book.

I don't like to tell people not to read anything but this book is not worth your time. I struggled to continue after chapter five thinking that it was going to get better once the world and characters are established. I was so wrong. ( )
1 vote ChristineySong | Aug 1, 2013 |
Predictable and inconsistent. A lot of loose ends. The whole book felt sloppily written. A much tighter, more compelling story could have been written in half the pages. ( )
  gypsycab79 | Jun 25, 2013 |

Reality TV meets a chillingly realistic version of America--and the fame game is on!

Amy had dreams of going to college, until the Collapse destroyed the economy and her future. Now she is desperate for any job that will help support her terminally ill grandmother and rebellious younger sister. When she finds herself in the running for a slot on a new reality TV show, she signs on the dotted line, despite her misgivings. And she's right to have them. TLN's Who Knows People, Baby--You? has an irresistible premise: correctly predict what the teenage cast will do in a crisis and win millions. But the network has pulled strings to make it work, using everything from 24/7 hidden cameras to life-threatening technology to flat-out rigging. Worse, every time the ratings slip, TLN ups the ante. Soon Amy is fighting for her life--on and off camera.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

Amy had dreams of going to college, until the Collapse destroyed the economy and her future. Now she is desperate for any job that will help support her terminally ill grandmother and rebellious younger sister. When she finds herself in the running for a slot on a new reality TV show, she signs on the dotted line, despite her misgivings. And she's right to have them. TLN's "Who Knows People, Baby--You?" has an irresistible premise: correctly predict what the teenage cast will do in a crisis and win millions. But the network has pulled strings to make it work, using everything from 24/7 hidden cameras to life-threatening technology to flat-out rigging. Worse, every time the ratings slip, TLN ups the ante. Soon Amy is fighting for her life--on and off camera.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible