Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman

Shadow Scale

by Rachel Hartman

Series: Seraphina (2), Goredd (2)

English (57)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
THIS BOOK IS SO QUEER FRIENDLY!

I did not set out to read it with this in mind. I had read the first book 'Seraphina' and absolutely loved it so of course I was going to read the second one

I loved the story line and how Hartman created such vivid worlds and languages (one of the queer friendly aspects of the book. One of the languages operates intricately with gender and it was the best surprise ever!)

I think the best part of this book is that it's not specifically targeted to the queer community - indeed I don't think it is at all. It's not even hugely relevant to the main story line - though it's irrelevant either. The theme is just slipped into the story in a way that it acts like it's a norm - it's something to aspire to.

LiteraryDream | Sep 30, 2018 |
I think the story in both books would have been better to leave out the romance part- it felt insincere, unconvincing. Also the resolution of the conflict at the end was a little too tidy- yay, everyone agrees to get along in a few short pages? I liked how Seraphina sees the light in everybody but it seems unrealistic that everyone else would be permanently changed by the little bit they experienced. I also missed the music that was everywhere in the first book. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of Shadow Scale from the publisher through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

While I did enjoy Shadow Scale, I felt it paled a little in comparison to the first book. The plot was not as engaging, and I was not as engaged with the characters — although the half-dragons were all fantastic and compelling. Overally, would recommend reading this if you enjoyed the first book; it’s definitely worth a read. It’s just not quite what I hoped it would be. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Jul 17, 2018 |
This sequel is just as rich, just as beautifully developed, in short just as good as its predecessor -- another classic fantasy of dragons, saints, and queens. Instead of castle intrigue, the scale of the story is broadened to national politics as our favorite heroine and all our favorite characters from the previous volume attempt to save both dragonkind and human kind from a plot that has been unfolding whilst they were busy elsewhere.

This book deals more directly with the religious culture that Hartman created for her world, as well as the intersections between species. Much of it takes place in Seraphina's own mind and, while it took time for me to adjust to her narration in the first volume, here that voice seems comfortable and familiar. The only real crack in the impressive story is that the ending feels a little rushed and convenient... but by that time, you'll be rooting so hard for these characters that you probably won't mind. ( )
  beserene | Jul 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really liked this book. Not as much at the first one but I still really enjoyed it and flew right through it. It was interesting to see inside her mind and how she controls things and then see how that conveys into the outside world. Thank you for the copy for my collection. ( )
  Sugar_Diva | Jun 20, 2018 |
[Seraphina, Hartman's first book] was pitch-perfect, so far as I was concerned — which made me rather nervous about approaching Shadow Scale. Suppose it didn't live up to its predecessor?

It turns out that "living up to it" is the utterly wrong frame for the question. Shadow Scale is less a sequel than it is another stage of development: it outgrows Seraphina and sheds it like a skin.
added by lquilter | editNPR, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 11, 2015)

Rachel Hartmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheppard, W. MorganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Seraphina, half-dragon and half-human, searches for others like her who can make the difference in the war between dragons and humans in the kingdom of Goredd"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rachel Hartman's book Shadow Scale is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,453,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible