dismiss

Shadow Scale

by Rachel Hartman

Series: Goredd (2)

"Seraphina, half-dragon and half-human, searches for others like her who can make the difference in the war between dragons and humans in the kingdom of Goredd"--

"A book with a love triangle" ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |
Oh my, where to begin? There is just so much packed into this sequel, not to mention all of the expectations carried over from Seraphina, that any attempt to be succint would invariably overlook something. To keep it simple, pros and cons.

Good stuff: It is long, meaning there is so much that goes on, and the plot moves at breakneck speed. The writing is beautiful, and there is closure for the characters.

Meh parts: I love how one reviewer put it. Seraphina was all about characters, but Shadow Scale is driven by plot. I think most of my uneasiness with the sequel came from an expectation of more witty banter, personal conversation, and charged emotional development. It's not to say that there was none of that, but overall, Shadow Scale takes a different literary emphasis than Seraphina.

Overall...I'm still thinking, trying to digest everything. I suspect it will take some time. ( )
  Pascale1812 | Apr 16, 2020 |
4.5 stars ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |
So lovely. Rachel Hartman writes these gorgeous, well-peopled, humane, intensely interesting and very Canadian fantasy novels. I can't wait for her next one. ( )
  andrea_mcd | Mar 10, 2020 |
Didn't manage to finish it. May try again another time -- might not have been the right book for my mood? ( )
  daxjansen | Dec 3, 2019 |
[Seraphina, Hartman's first book] was pitch-perfect, so far as I was concerned — which made me rather nervous about approaching Shadow Scale. Suppose it didn't live up to its predecessor?

It turns out that "living up to it" is the utterly wrong frame for the question. Shadow Scale is less a sequel than it is another stage of development: it outgrows Seraphina and sheds it like a skin.
added by lquilter | editNPR, Amal El-Mohtar (Mar 11, 2015)

Rachel Hartmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheppard, W. MorganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Goredd (2)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rachel Hartman's book Shadow Scale was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,743,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible