Island: A Story of the Galápagos by Jason…

Island: A Story of the Galápagos (edition 2012)

by Jason Chin

Member:lindamamak
Title:Island: A Story of the Galápagos
Authors:Jason Chin
Info:Flash Point (2012), Hardcover, 36 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:darwin, volcanos, islands, animal life

Island: A Story of the Galápagos by Jason Chin

Island, A Story of the Galapagos is about how the Galapagos islands came about. It starts off 6 million years ago and it describes how they formed, how they became inhabited with so many animals, etc. It goes from 6 millions years ago, 5 million years ago, 3 million years ago, 1 million years ago. Each "chapter" it explains what has happened over that period of time, and it informs readers about evolution and how everything happens for an island to be formed. It's a very informative book and I think kids would love it but it may be a little hard for them to understand. I would use this book to teach a science class for older kids in maybe 4th and 5th grade. The illustrations do a great job showing how the islands were formed and how it became inhabited. The end of the book gives information about Charles Darwin and the Galapagos. In 1835, Darwin spent 5 weeks exploring the Galapagos, and he came up with the theory of evolution. The author explains that he created this book with the research that he found, but it's pretty accurate from what we know. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Apr 12, 2017 |
Island, A Story of the Galapagos tells the story of the Galapagos islands, how they formed, and how they became inhabited by so many diverse species in a simplified narrative story line. The illustrations are detailed and help the reader follow the chronological events that led up to current day Galapagos. The story begins six million years ago and describes the gradual process in which evolution occurs. This is a complex topic that students usually struggle to grasp. They usually have a hard time just understanding the magnitude of time that has passed to allow organisms to evolve into what we see on Earth today. The book really does do a good job of breaking down the gradual evolution of the Galapagos finches, whose beaks slowly changed over the course of many years due to changes in their food source. In order the provide more examples of evolution on Galapagos, the story goes on to illustrate the evolution of other species such as seagulls, tortoises, and cormorants. Although these are all great examples, I feel that the book does not spend enough time emphasizing the gradual process in which evolution occurs for each species. My only concern about this book is that it could lead to misconceptions about the processes that shape species over time. The book also does a great job of illustrating the geological processes that shape and form volcanic island chains. Overall, I thought the book was well written and did a good job breaking down complex scientific concepts for younger students to understand. ( )
  ssmithers | Feb 8, 2017 |
This book talks about the Galapagos Islands and adaption in a kid friendly way. I like the book because of the illustrations and the way they support the text in the book. The book is also broken up chronologically which supports a reading standard in third grade. I think that this would be a good book to help teach adaption, biology, inheritance, and islands. However, this is a complex subject for students so this book might need to be broken up or only chucks read aloud to support learning in the classroom.
  kbuffum13 | Dec 4, 2016 |
I think this is a wonderful educational book. It is however a little dry and I am unsure how engaged students would be in the reading. It gives many facts and easily explains the life cycle of the Galápagos Islands. ( )
  NaomiJohnston | Oct 18, 2016 |
I hope the Chin's nonfiction picture book "Island" sparks a wave of curiosity about the Galápagos Islands. These islands have so much to teach us, history to share, and beauty to inspire wonder. Although this book is heavy with informational text, the illustrations are enough to capture the attention of the reader. This book shows the beauty of nonfiction, and would be a great stand-alone lesson in any classroom.
  kquisling | Jun 1, 2016 |

An island is about to be born- one that in time will become the home of plants and animals that exist nowhere else on Earth. This book is the biography of a Galápagos island- from birth, through adolescence, to adulthood, and beyond.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,067,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible