Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin…

Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin Novel (edition 2012)

by Gena Showalter

Member:TheBooknerd
Title:Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin Novel
Authors:Gena Showalter
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013, StrangeBedfellows
Tags:fiction, series, romance, paranormal, paranormal romance, futuristic, alien, captive, black ops

Last Kiss Goodnight by Gena Showalter

I was really excited to read this book and specifically requested this book from the library, but I was disappointed. I really wanted this book to be good, but it wasn't. I liked that it had a biblical quote at the beginning of each chapter because the main character's name was Solomon Judah. It referenced Song of Solomon and I thought that was lovely. It was a cool concept that there were attractive species from different planets in a zoo, but there were too many to keep track of without using their names and only referencing their species. It focused on the girl and her father's abusive relationship, and I wish it centered more on the romantic dynamic between Solo and Vika. It was an interesting story, but I wanted more smut. Sorry, but I applaud you for your efforts. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
It has been quite some time since I have read this author, and this series is very recent. So when I saw this on the bookshelf at my local library, I knew I needed to try it out. There hasn't been one book of Showalter I didn't like. So I was very intrigued by the blurb so when I started reading it, I knew that this would be a book I could sink my teeth into. Last Kiss Goodnight deals with seeing a world where paranormal creatures exist who have a variety of talents and abilities. I loved the way that Showalter sets the scene for this story to begin. The plot does pick up pace pretty quickly, so no slow start for this one. The romance that blooms between Vika and Solo is pretty quick but not too quick to throw you off. I felt like it was very sweet and tender, and even though there is a level of intensity to the story, the romance isn't so much. Its more slow and steady yet wonderful to witness their connection. The characters were very intriguing. Vika is deaf, but can read lips, and I loved seeing her character have a disability, it makes her seem more human. She seemed to me to be more passive at times, but definitely has a passion that becomes more evident as you read through the story. Overall a contagious romance that will set your heart at a faster speed, and take you on a adventure of passion, suspense, paranormal creatures, and a fantastically written story!!TOTALLY CAPTIVATING!! ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 18, 2014 |
This story was okay. It is extremely dark with a lot of abuse and evil. Even with that the hero that can't control his temper, shows us an extremely sweet and protective side. Doesn't have the sizzling sex scenes or the dark sense of humor we normally get from a Showalter book. I'm interest to see where she goes with series. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |

NOT WORTH IT

Nothing happens but cage, beating, humiliation for 3/4 of the book. All during this time it was childish, felt like a young adult book, and you were getting preach at about good vs evil and love vs hate in a very black and white way. All the bad people, completely bad, evil, no redemption. The good people, could get their redemption but had to let evil out, yadda, yadda, yadda.... angel vs devil figure on the shoulders. The story of David and Goliath. The Bible verse every chapter, argh, preach, preach, preach.... And then at end the soft sex.

I would say I hated it except I didn't hate the last 80 or so pages, but I didn't like them so much either. There is a lot of boring for hundreds of pages to get to that 80 at the end and it is not worth it. And I didn't even love the last pages either, it was just a satisfying end... kinda, not really.

There was no fun in this book.

The only thing good about this book was the ending and that wasn't very good either, just OK. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
Read from March 31 to April 03, 2013

Read for Fun/Listened for Review (Paperback/Simon & Schuster Audio)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.50 (Not Part of the Overall Rating)

First Thought When Finished: Last Kiss Goodnight is a tough read but in the end worth every minute of it!

Story Thoughts: I really wish that I could divide this review down to pre-choice and post-choice ratings. There is something that just CLICKS about 1/2 of the way through. The characters, the story, the action, the love, the suspense, and your heart just combine to reach a perfect storm. At that moment, I knew that sticking out the emotional rawness of the first half was well worth the wait. As Kelly would say: THINGS HAPPEN Y'ALL (ok she wouldn't say y'all but I am a Texan)!

Character Thoughts: The characters in Last Kiss Goodnight (all of them) are really intense. The good guys, the bad guys, the circus performers, and the men of books to come are all very in your face with how they are. I actually like when a character is almost unapologetic about who they are and their motivations for doing things. That being said there were times when Solo and Vika got in their own way because of their fierce knowledge in who they were. I really liked Vika even when she had to make choices that I didn't agree with. She was a character that had to fight tooth and nail for everything. She did so without loosing herself and that makes her worthy of happiness.

Audio Thoughts:
Narrated by George Newbern/Running Time 10 hrs and 12 mins

I have a new narrator to add to my list because George Newbern is as good as Luke Daniels. Seriously, I was amazed at how easily I was transported into this story and his effortless telling of it. The voices, nuances, pacing, and emotions were spot on for the tone of this story. Just call me gobsmacked because there are very few guys that are on my favorites list and he just made it!

Final Thoughts: This book has a very rough beginning that not everyone will like or read through. If you do stick with it though I can almost guarantee that you will be looking forward to the next one in the series as much as I am!

NOTE: Thank you Kelly for telling me to stick with it! ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |

Gena Showalterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Newbern, GeorgeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Black ops agent Solomon Judah awakens caged and bound in a twisted zoo where otherworlders are the main attraction.Vika Lukas, the owner's daughter, is tasked with Solo's care and feeding. The monster inside him yearns to kill her on sight, even though she holds the key to his escape. But the human side of him realizes the beautiful deaf girl is more than she seems--she's his. Vika endures the captives' taunts and loathing, hoping to keep them alive even if she can't free them. Only, Solo is different-- he protects her. But as hostility turns to forbidden romance, his feelings for her will be used against him ... and he'll be put to a killer test.… (more)

193 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,104,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible