A Texan's Choice: The Heart of A Hero,…

A Texan's Choice: The Heart of A Hero, Book 3 (edition 2012)

by Shelley Gray

Member:alekee
Title:A Texan's Choice: The Heart of A Hero, Book 3
Authors:Shelley Gray
Info:Abingdon Press (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

A Texan's Choice by Shelley Gray

Title: A Texan’s Choice (The Heart of a Hero Book #3)
Author: Shelley Gray
Pages: 320
Year: 2012
Publisher: Abingdon Press
What a palatable tension builds in the last book of this series, it was terrific! All three novels are stories of hope and redemption when all seems lost, broken and the characters despair of life in dire situations. The tale starts with the first novel in the series A Texan’s Promise continues with A Texan’s Honor before winding up parts of the story in the final book reviewed today. One of the many things I enjoy about stories and authors is the many differences in writing style, plot, characters and themes. Shelly Gray wraps up the novel series by tying up some loose ends in the books while leaving some unfinished, left to the readers imaginations.
I was captivated by the books, characters and the way the writer shows how faith can play such a huge role in life. Usually fictional plots, characters and more is taken both from the imagination of the author along with experiencing and watching human beings. Readers will be able to relate to the characters as they think on their pasts along with choices that they made and the probable consequences thereof both short and long term.
Shelley Gray does a wonderful job of showing us through her novel series that while we tend to assume others think one way about us, it is not usually how they really do. A couple of her characters were afraid of moving forward in contacting people because of letting their assumptions dictate their choices. Yet, in a real climactic moment the walls of hearts come down in the characters and as a result they see how so much alike they are really alike when all is said and done. A bunch of the men longed for new beginnings but feeling unworthy of such a leap from how they currently were living lawless lives to normal ones seemed impossible. Therein is the picture of what faith is, being convinced of what is hoped for along with knowing that without the Lord truly new beginnings aren’t possible.
I hope during this summer you take some time to read and appreciate the various adventures and fictional people introduced in all three books. The author did a splendid job and I am glad to have found these books and stories!
My rating is 5+ stars!

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Texans-Choice-Heart-Hero-Book/dp/1426714653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 6, 2014 |
The author, Shelley Gray, did an excellent job on this series of stories. I liked them all and also loved the covers on these books. This story kind of brought a lot of the characters from all the books together. You can easily read it as a stand alone, but you miss out on a lot of background by not reading the other two first.

Scout Proffitt arrives in West Texas to take over a farm he won in a gambling game. He is a known hired gunslinger who just wants to put his past behind him and live a normal life. When he arrives he finds the family (a mother and two daughters) getting ready to bury the husband who has just past away. The mom and one daughter leave and because of bitterness in their heart, leave behind also the one daughter, Rosemarie, to fend for herself. Scout is now stuck with a woman who is very determined to stay and help him out around the farm. It was a very tender endearing part of the story to see these two people fall in love and each help the other one through their doubts and fears.

There was also other stories going on in this book, and all three situations come together as you keep reading. There is Miles Grant who is trying to run his ranch, keep rustlers from harming his animals or men and keep his housekeeper happy by finding a wife. Then there is Russell Champion and his friends who are trying to find Scout and do a job that would finally free the men from being "wanted" by the law.

There was a lot going on in this story, but I thought it all came together very well and thoroughly enjoyed myself reading all three stories in this series. Can a hired killer turn around and make something of himself. Sure he can. It helps though if he has someone who believes in him and truly cares for him. It also helps that he has family that never gave up on him and prayed for him. God does answer prayer, but sometimes it just takes a little longer than we had hoped. Saddles up, sit back and enjoy the ride! ( )
  judyg54 | Jul 3, 2013 |
This is the third book in the Heart of a Hero Series, and I would recommend you read all of these books, but you can read this one without. Enough information is provided to allow you to know what is going on.
We start this book in 1874 West Texas, and if you think you have had a bad day, Rosemarie Cousin's would probably win. She has just lost her Father, and her Mother and Sister have left her. Then a man shows up to claim he owns her home and ranch....Scout Proffitt won the property in a card game from her Father.
You will feel sorry for Rosemarie right from the beginning. When she was eight and her brother was four, he drowned while she was watching him. Her family has blamed her ever after. Some family!
Scout Proffitt has lived his life as a gunslinger and has been on the run. When out of the blue an offer appears, he will not be able to turn down.
We follow along as other characters we have learned to love a reintroduced, and we wonder if all will survive, or will we say goodbye?
What happens between Rosemarie and Scout is sweet, and although unexpected, we hope for Rosemarie. Ah, she deserves to be happy, but can she find it with a gunslinger?
We find that a lot of these people need to find forgiveness, and the Lord surely leads them. Enjoy this great read...you won't be able to leave this one alone once you start.

I received this book from Pump Your Book Virtual Tours, and the Publisher Abingdon Press, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 19, 2012 |
Rosemarie Cousins has lived most of her life feeling unwanted, unworthy and unloved because her family blamed her for the death of her brother. When her father dies and her mother and sister leave her behind to fend for herself she's not surprised, though it cuts deep. Scout Proffitt has lived a rough life and knows he will never be the kind of honorable man his brother Clayton is. But Scout is hoping to at least live out a peaceful existence which is why he's looking forward to claiming the Circle C Ranch he won in a card game. What he didn't count on was Rosemarie Cousins. Watching them bury her father and seeing her mother and sister leave her behind, stirred something inside him he didn't count on. Rose knows who Scout is but she treats him with respect and though having him there is a bit scary, it's not as scary as being totally alone! Can a throw-away daughter and a notorious outlaw see that God just might have a plan for them?

This is book three in The Heart of a Hero Series and one I've been waiting to read. Scout Proffitt has intrigued me right from the start. In A Texan's Honor (book 2) you got a good look at this unusual hero and realized there was more to the man than being a gunslinger. In A Texan's Choice, you see more of his background and how things play out for Scout. Rosemarie was a character that I didn't like, at first. But as I kept reading and seeing her interact with Scout, I ended up really liking her. They were good for each other and I loved how they interacted together. Talk about romance! I truly appreciated the message, that no one is beyond redemption if they turn to the Lord. He's the only one who can change your heart and life. I enjoyed seeing Clayton again and catching up with Miles but I was hoping to see a few of the others as well. There were tender moments, tense moments and moments that just made me smile. And although it had an ending that I really liked, as a reader I would have loved an epilogue. I just felt like I wanted it to be carried a little further than it was. Can you read this as a stand alone? Technically yes, but I would highly recommend you read this series in order, to get the full impact. I have loved all the books in The Heart of a Hero Series and you can bet they're on my keeper shelf!

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Abingdon Press (October 2012)
ISBN-10: 1426714653
ISBN-13: 978-1426714658

*This complimentary copy was provided by Abingdon Press through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  love2readnovels | Sep 19, 2012 |

"Texas, 1874. Long ago, Scout Proffitt gave up on ever being a man of honor like his Civil War hero brother Clayton. But when Scout steps foot on the rundown remnants of the Circle C Ranch, he wonders if maybe just maybe the Lord has something different intended for him. Rosemarie has lived most of her life doubting her worth and shouldering the blame for her brother s death. But when a stranger rides onto her ranch, claiming he owns it, she suddenly is given a choice: either keep looking at the dark side of life ... or dare to dream."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible