A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

A Week in Winter

by Maeve Binchy

1,362868,551 (3.74)1 / 96

English (84)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
This was a much better book than I thought it might be. The characterizations were full and interesting. I loved Chicky, Queenie, Riggar, Carmel, and Orla. The guests were a disparate group, each of whom brought with them a problem, big or small which they needed to be solved. It was fascinating to discover each new person, their lives, problems, and how they could or couldn't solve their problems. Recommended to all character driven readers. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Mar 15, 2019 |
This novel was an excellent swan song for one of my favorite novelists. I'm a broken-hearted she is gone. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
Description
Stoneyville is a small town on the coast of Ireland where all the families know each other. When Chicky decides to take an old decaying mansion, Stone House, and turn it into a restful place for a holiday by the sea, the town thinks she is crazy. She is helped by Rigger (a bad boy turned good who is handy around the place) and her niece Orla (a whiz at business). Finally the first week of paying guests arrive. You will laugh and cry as you spend the week with this odd group who share their secrets and might even have some of their dreams come true.

This was a story about relationships and friendships. There were many characters that all had their own storyline and some of their situations were interesting. But I would’ve liked to know more about some people and I would’ve liked more focus on only one or two storylines. I still liked the main character Chicky and her little hotel by the sea sounded wonderful. This was my first book by Binchy but I plan to try more. ( )
  gaylebutz | Dec 18, 2018 |
Easy listen - a B&B's opening week brings in the most interesting characters. Chicki Star Comes Home. ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 17, 2018 |
Squee!!! I adore this book! I have got to read more from Ms Binchy. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becciu, Ana MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Sheedy sisters had lived in Stone House for as long as anyone could remember. Set high on the cliffs on the west coast of Ireland, overlooking the windswept Atlantic ocean, it was falling into disrepair - until one woman, with a past she needed to forget, breathed new life into the place. Now a hotel, with a big, warm kitchen and log fires, it provides a welcome few can resist. Winnie is generally able to make the best of things, until she finds herself on the holiday from hell. John arrived on an impulse after he missed a flight at Shannon. And then there's Henry and Nicola, burdened with a terrible secret, who are hoping the break at Stone House will help them find a way to face the future ...A WEEK IN WINTER is full of Maeve's trademark warmth, humour and characters you want to spend time with.

Follows the efforts of Chicky who, with the help of Rigger (a bad boy turned good who is handy around the place) and her niece Orla (a whiz at business), turns a coastal Ireland mansion into a holiday resort and receives an assortment of first guests who throughout the course of a week share laughter and the heartache of respective challenges. John, the American movie star thinks he has arrived incognito; Winnie and Lillian, forced into taking a holiday together; Nuala and Henry, husband and wife , both doctors who have been shaken by seeing too much death; Anders, the Swedish boy, hates his father's business, but has a real talent for music; Miss Nell Howe, a retired school teacher, who criticizes everything and leaves a day early, much to everyone's relief; the Walls who have entered in 200 contests (and won everything from a microwave oven to velvet curtains, including the week at Stone House); and Freda , the psychic who is afraid of her own visions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,354,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible