A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

A Week in Winter (edition 2012)

by Maeve Binchy

994808,619 (3.73)1 / 78
Member:thefirstalicat
Title:A Week in Winter
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:Orion Publishing (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages
Tags:Ireland, linked novellas

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

English (78)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (80)
I hadn't read anything from Binchy in awhile. She is such a wonderful storyteller and is sorely missed.

Chicky Starr is from Ireland and wants to see the world. She travels with a nice gentleman to New York. When their romance fades away, she travels back to Ireland and opens a Bread & Breakfast establishment which is one of the oldest mansions in Stoneybridge.

After many months of getting the house ready, she opens the bed and breakfast and welcomes her first guests during the winter season. Her first guests during her first week of business are quirky but still welcomes them all.

It's such a delightful book. I would love to be one of her guests but, alas, it will have to be in my mind. ( )
  suzanne5002 | Jan 26, 2017 |
I love escaping into one of Binchy's gentle, lovely books. I will miss her. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
In this, Binchy's last novel before her death, it focuses on Chicky Starr, who left Stoneybridge, Ireland twenty-years-ago with a dashing American who leaves her eight months later. Her family disowns her and rather than admit that they were right, she tells them they got married. She soon starts to work at an Irish boarding house and after five years of being away, she goes back to visit, telling them that her husband is "too busy" to come with her. After a while, she "kills" him off in an accident. After twenty years of being in America, she decides to help the last Miss Sheedy old maid in her rambling house by buying the house and having Miss Sheedy help her redecorate it and turn it into a special B and B. Her old childhood best friend's reform school son, is sent there to hopefully turn his life around, and soon, Rigger, finds himself manager of the place and a different man, even though he can't reach his mother, who goes into a depression, blaming herself for what happened to him.
This fabulous novel focuses on the lives of those who come to stay at Stone House for the first week. There's an Irish nurse, who gets stuck going on this vacation with the dragon lady mother of her boyfriend, whom she hopes to marry. He, however is a bit of a mama's boy, and his mother has managed, all these years to keep him from getting married. Will this trip bring them together or drive them further apart?

Anther guest is the famous American actor, Cory Salinas, who is trying to find out what to do with his life. Henry and Nicola, British doctors have seen death close up twice and have come away jarred. They have also been trying for a number of years to get pregnant and have pretty much given up. They hope this seaside house will give them the rest they need to go on with their lives.

Anders, an accountant, is supposed to join his father's prestigious firm in Sweden, but he has fallen in love with Erika, who lives in Stockholm and refuses to leave her promising career there to move back to his hometown, to a job that he hates. He'd rather play music, but feels obligated to his father. This trip is an escape from the dreary life of his job. The Walls, won the trip from a contest. They are contest junkies and had hoped for first place, an expensive trip to Paris, for their twenty-fifth anniversary. Needless to say, they are disappointed at where they find themselves instead.

Miss Nell Howe is a severe, now retired, headmistress of a school, who has no friends and treats everyone horribly. The parents and staff feel they ought to get her something for her service, so they get her this vacation, which she hates. But there's more to her than meets the eye. Freda the librarian, has given up on love, until a charming man comes into her life, a man "to good to be true", who just might break her heart. She goes to Stone House to find her way back again.

I didn't want this book to end, which says a lot. This is my first Binchy book and now I can't wait to read more of her books. I wanted to hear more of Chicky's life and the other workers of Stone House after the guests of the first week left. I can't say enough good things about this fabulous book that looks intimately into the lives of the fascinating guests that you mostly come to love (some you just can't no matter what). I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Dec 9, 2016 |
This is really a group of short stories linked together by the hotel that the characters stay in, yet it still feels like one overall story. It's a gentle tale showing how a chance to unwind in a new (and beautiful) place can give people a chance to reassess their lives. Some find love, some recover from losing love. Some find a new way forwards in their lives and one, sadly, is unable to break the habits of a lifetime. ( )
  JudithProctor | Aug 13, 2016 |
A Week in Winter, Maeve Binchy's last novel, is a charming and familiar blend of colorful characters, set in a country house hotel on the west coast of Ireland. It proceeds to tell the stories of its staff and guests. First we meeting Geraldine “Chicky” Ryan who fell in love with the wrong man and makes up a story for her family when she returns years later. She decides to purchase a historic house in Stonybridge, her home town, and turn it into a small and quiet hotel. She spends quite a bit of time preparing the house but she knows she's going to need friends and family to help her make it a success. Once we read the stories about Chicky and her close friends, we start those of the guests who have come to stay during the opening weekend.

I love the way Maeve Binchy writes and she succeeded in making me interested in every chapter and the characters it featured. She finished this book shortly before her death in 2012 and probably didn't have the time to edit it herself. I never felt there was a connection to an overarching storyline and it never coalesced as a novel for me. All the guests eventually leave knowing more about themselves. While not my favorite Binchy, it was a lovely journey and an enjoyable read. I'm sad that she is no longer with us but she left dozens of wonderful books to remember her by. ( )
1 vote Olivermagnus | Jul 7, 2016 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becciu, Ana MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Sheedy sisters had lived in Stone House for as long as anyone could remember. Set high on the cliffs on the west coast of Ireland, overlooking the windswept Atlantic ocean, it was falling into disrepair - until one woman, with a past she needed to forget, breathed new life into the place. Now a hotel, with a big, warm kitchen and log fires, it provides a welcome few can resist. Winnie is generally able to make the best of things, until she finds herself on the holiday from hell. John arrived on an impulse after he missed a flight at Shannon. And then there's Henry and Nicola, burdened with a terrible secret, who are hoping the break at Stone House will help them find a way to face the future ...A WEEK IN WINTER is full of Maeve's trademark warmth, humour and characters you want to spend time with.

Follows the efforts of Chicky who, with the help of Rigger (a bad boy turned good who is handy around the place) and her niece Orla (a whiz at business), turns a coastal Ireland mansion into a holiday resort and receives an assortment of first guests who throughout the course of a week share laughter and the heartache of respective challenges. John, the American movie star thinks he has arrived incognito; Winnie and Lillian, forced into taking a holiday together; Nuala and Henry, husband and wife , both doctors who have been shaken by seeing too much death; Anders, the Swedish boy, hates his father's business, but has a real talent for music; Miss Nell Howe, a retired school teacher, who criticizes everything and leaves a day early, much to everyone's relief; the Walls who have entered in 200 contests (and won everything from a microwave oven to velvet curtains, including the week at Stone House); and Freda , the psychic who is afraid of her own visions.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,490,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible