A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

A Week in Winter (edition 2012)

by Maeve Binchy

Title:A Week in Winter
Authors:Maeve Binchy
Info:Orion Publishing (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages
Tags:Ireland, linked novellas

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

English (65)  Spanish (1)  All languages (66)
This is Maeve Binchy's last book and I have to say it, rather a disappointment. I was left feeling that she was ill to complete the book and it was finished by someone else who didn't tie up all the ends in the usual neat little bows that Ms Binchy loved. Sorry but it wasn't the usual enjoyable read, or at least not from somewhere in the middle onward. ( )
  Debbie76 | Nov 8, 2015 |
Nanny loved Maeve Binchy. I'm glad I finally tried her. I really enjoy her books. This is my second and they were both wonderful. Rosalyn Landor has a beautiful voice and lovely accent for these stories. I appreciate the depth of character. Each person feels like someone I might meet. A nice relaxing read. Obstacles are overcome, people are built up, peace and happiness are found. One character was lost (she went home) and we didn't hear how her life might have changed or if it did. Makes me ponder. Probably more realistic that one gets away. Everyone is so real that I would love to follow them all into a new book, but there is a very satisfactory ending should that not happen. I will look forward to any new book by Ms Binchy. ( )
  njcur | Sep 23, 2015 |
I have read a few of Maeve Binchy's novels and liked them all - they are gentle, well-told stories with interesting characters. Not great literature, by any means, but reliable and somehow comforting. This one was no different, but I would rate it lower than the others I've read. It's really just a series of character sketches and vignettes, telling the stories of people gathered at a hotel in the west of Ireland over a week in December. Some of the sketches are stronger than others, some more interesting, and I think I wished for more of a connection among them. Also, I initially had a hard time pegging the time period, and then was surprised to learn that this "week in winter" was taking place in the present day - either contemporary Ireland is much more old-fashioned than I realized or Ms. Binchy was!

Still, not a bad audio book, though the narrator, Rosalyn Landor, does not do male voices very well at all... And, of course, it made me start planning a vacation! ( )
  katiekrug | Jul 18, 2015 |
Chicky Starr owns and operates a bed and breakfast on the Irish coast. The novel tells the varied stories of the group of people who will be guests during opening week. Somewhat chick-lit-ish for my taste, but not an unenjoyable read. ( )
  lit_chick | May 13, 2015 |
Binchy's last book set at a hotel on the Irish coast. It's a series if vignettes about the people who both own and stay at the hotel. Not quite a five...I kept waiting for her to dig into the tale rather than the more third person nose at the window kind of narrative that dominated the book. Almost like reading an outline with just a bit of the actual dialog. Nonetheless it was a lovely, easy to read book. ( )
  witchyrichy | May 10, 2015 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becciu, Ana MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Sheedy sisters had lived in Stone House for as long as anyone could remember. Set high on the cliffs on the west coast of Ireland, overlooking the windswept Atlantic ocean, it was falling into disrepair - until one woman, with a past she needed to forget, breathed new life into the place. Now a hotel, with a big, warm kitchen and log fires, it provides a welcome few can resist. Winnie is generally able to make the best of things, until she finds herself on the holiday from hell. John arrived on an impulse after he missed a flight at Shannon. And then there's Henry and Nicola, burdened with a terrible secret, who are hoping the break at Stone House will help them find a way to face the future ...A WEEK IN WINTER is full of Maeve's trademark warmth, humour and characters you want to spend time with.

Follows the efforts of Chicky who, with the help of Rigger (a bad boy turned good who is handy around the place) and her niece Orla (a whiz at business), turns a coastal Ireland mansion into a holiday resort and receives an assortment of first guests who throughout the course of a week share laughter and the heartache of respective challenges. John, the American movie star thinks he has arrived incognito; Winnie and Lillian, forced into taking a holiday together; Nuala and Henry, husband and wife , both doctors who have been shaken by seeing too much death; Anders, the Swedish boy, hates his father's business, but has a real talent for music; Miss Nell Howe, a retired school teacher, who criticizes everything and leaves a day early, much to everyone's relief; the Walls who have entered in 200 contests (and won everything from a microwave oven to velvet curtains, including the week at Stone House); and Freda , the psychic who is afraid of her own visions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible