The Dream Songs by John Berryman

The Dream Songs

by John Berryman

these dream songs are reading them somehow familiar after a couple and really there's nothing as disconcerting sometimes as berrymans umm syntactical choices. etc. ( )
  wensley | Dec 20, 2013 |
A handful of these poems are among my favourite poems ever but, as a whole, I find the collection uneven: many, the majority, just mean nothing to me. Even so, the dream song is a gorgeous format, and when they are good they are very very good. ( )
  aliceunderskies | Apr 1, 2013 |
It rocked me to my bones when I first read it. ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have lived with these poems for years, and survived.

The thing that, for me, separates Berryman from the other "confessional" poets is his sense of humor. It is a black humor, certainly, a skull coughing and chuckling while chain smoking cigarettes, but it is a sense of humor nonetheless. Dark, dark, dark and funny.

Also noteworthy is the poet's twisted but seldom-erring ear. The syntax of these poems is often tortured, fractured, bent, but it is always meant to be that way.

I votes in my hole. ( )
  chexmix | Jan 31, 2011 |
Berryman occupies a special place in my brain. He is quite simply one of the most startlingly original poets of the 20th century, and the fact that he isn't taught right up front in literature classes alongside T. S. Eliot and Sylvia Plath makes me terribly sad. ( )
1 vote RachelWeaver | Nov 23, 2009 |

This edition combines The Dream Songs, awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1965, and His Toy, His Dream, His Rest, which won the National Book Award for Poetry in 1969 and contains all 385 songs. Of The Dream Songs, A. Alvarez wrote in The Observer, "A major achievement. He has written an elegy on his brilliant generation and, in the process, he has also written an elegy on himself."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:51 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible