DREAMCATCHERS - After Darkness Light - A…

DREAMCATCHERS - After Darkness Light - A Young Adult Dark Fantasy

by Tom Sarega

I received this novel as part of a LIbraryThing Member Giveaway.It is a very well-written, well-plotted novel. It has elements of John Bellairs I thought in it. It covers ancient Mayan legends for the end of the world connected to modern times in a very interesting way. Warning though, although the main characters are children, this book is not for children. It is very graphic in its violence. I will be interested in reading the second installment of the series. ( )
  calicocat901 | Jul 5, 2013 |
Dreamcatchers - After Darkness Light. Wow. This is one very well formulated fantasy, taking the reader from the present to a time roughly 1,000 years ago, then back to the present, then into a "place between two worlds", before concluding back in the present. But what a journey it is.

The entire concept focuses on the Mayan Calendar, and its calculated end of a cycle, widely believed to portend the end of the world as we know it. The end of the world is, indeed, the primary driving concern in this story, but how it became a possibility in this tale is quite a bit different than one might otherwise believe.

The story begins in the present, introducing 5 "random" school mates, who discover quite by accident one day that each of them has been experiencing some rather horrendous nightmares for quite a while, and those nightmares are beginning to escalate. A critical point is reached when the five students wind up sharing the same dream, that's not really a dream, because they communicate with each other and with someone who identifies himself as their "spirit guide". He promises a way to end their nightmares, calling them the "chosen ones".

Later, one of the students unexpectedly blacks out, and is taken back 1,000 years to witness intermittent events in the life of their Spirit Guide when he was alive; we are privy to his observations, which explain a lot more than any of the students have been told by their Spirit Guide, leading to some mistrust.

Many violent, yet typical of the time, events occur during this student's blackout period, helping him as well as us to better understand what has happened, and what will happen in the course of this internecine saga.

I'm doing a terrible job of reviewing what is really an extraordinary tale. It is a fascinating look at life during the time of the Mayan and Toltec empires. It is an imaginative and expressive look at one possible way in which the Mayan Calendar "prophecy" could play out. This book is a definite "must read" for everybody interested in the Mayan Calendar and the many contemporary guesses at what it really means. I strongly urge you all to get hold of "Dream Catchers" and prepare to immerse yourself in a very different ancient culture for a time.

This book has a great deal of exciting action, some paranormal activity, and is one of the best "fantasy" tales I've ever read. But a word of warning: You will be shocked at the fantastic twist at the conclusion of this story! ( )
  Grampy | Dec 13, 2012 |
I received this book via a librarything.com giveaway. I really liked the start of this book. It was a different type of story. I like that it involved several different characters. Some parts of this book dragged on for awhile and I thought it got too descriptive and a little too much background information. Towards the end it started to pick up and I enjoyed the ending. ( )
  Sara2012 | Oct 14, 2012 |
Reviewed on Amazon UK on 7 Sep 2012
By MazPa

DREAMCATCHERS - After Darkness Light - A Young Adult Dark Fantasy

Once I read the short Chapter 1, I was well and truly hooked. A suspence thriller much on par with Mr Herbert.
The author has captured the mood very well and the story has a transfixed affect throughout.
Much has been written about the plot so I can only agree with what has been said previously.
A well recommended read....but make sure you are not alone ;) ( )
  Thistle2 | Sep 30, 2012 |
Follow five friends in an fantasy adventure of dreams and reality. Throw in the stories of ancient Mayan warriors and a world heading to 21 December 2012 and you have a fascinating novel that is hard to put down. I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It is well written and is fast paced. ( )
  AlanBes | Aug 22, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,794,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible