Higglety Pigglety Pop!: Or There Must Be…

Higglety Pigglety Pop!: Or There Must Be More to Life (1967)

by Maurice Sendak

How have I not rated this before? This is one of those glorious books of childhood that will never ever leave my mind. I still go to it when I need a bit of comfort or just some quirky fun. The play at the end has been forever etched into my memory and I will find myself reciting it in my head at the most random moments. Perhaps I'll write more later on this. I was just shocked to see I hadn't given it any stars, though I reference it often (even though I may be the only one who gets it). Also, there are moments when Jefa (the cat) looks so like Jenny after too many sandwiches! Highly recommend for all ages! Thanks to Aunt Laverne who gave us this book. ( )
  DianaFord | Jan 5, 2016 |
The book that made me the person I am today. ( )
  mcquery123 | Jul 20, 2015 |
Strange, wonderfully odd book. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 24, 2014 |
A. really liked it. Probably because it was so whimsical and difficult for her to comprehend. ( )
  MiguelPut | Aug 4, 2014 |
"Higglety Pigglety Pop!" is an exceptional story that is so simplistic and yet is filled with so much truth. The author Maurice Sendak does a fantastic job at taping into the human spirit. He did this by showing that even when people have everything they are still not satisfied with their lives. He shows this by having the dog say that she has everything, but for some reason she is not happy with her life. She sets out on a journey with all of her belongings in search of something more. Then in the story everything she has gets destroyed and she is left with nothing, and even after loosing everything the dog still went in search of something more. Sendak uses this to show that no matter what we are given/ have in the life we will always be unhappy and always be in search of something that we may never attain.
  brandib90 | Oct 9, 2013 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krahé, HildegardÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Jennie
Once Jennie had everything.

Tells the story of Jennie, the little terrier who left her luxurious home in search of life's meaning.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006028479X, Hardcover)

As a tribute to his dearly departed pooch, Maurice Sendak wrote this odd little tale in 1967 about Jennie, a Sealyham terrier who is not content with having everything but must go out in the world to find something she doesn't have. Right off the bat, she comes across a pig wearing sandwich boards advertising the need for a leading lady in the World Mother Goose Theatre. Jennie leaps at the opportunity. Unfortunately, the position requires someone with experience, so she sets off to find it. One hungry lion and a stubborn un-hungry baby later, Jennie definitely has experience, if nothing else anymore, and off she goes to play the leading role in a nursery-rhyme-turned-theatrical-production:
Higglety-pigglety pop!
The dog has eaten the mop!
The pig's in a hurry
The cat's in a flurry
Higglety-pigglety pop!
This dreamy, slightly dark story, illustrated in Sendak's renowned pen-and-ink style, tells of a gluttonous dog's transformation from someone who cares only about her next salami sandwich to one who would risk her life for a weaker being (while still wondering where that next sandwich is coming from). Caldecott Medal artist Sendak is the brilliantly quirky creator of such classics as Where the Wild Things Are and In the Night Kitchen. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

The adventures of Jennie, a dog who runs away from home to see what else there is to life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible