The Good House: A Novel by Ann Leary

The Good House: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Ann Leary

Member:thebooky
Title:The Good House: A Novel
Authors:Ann Leary
Info:St. Martin's Press (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, ebook

The Good House by Ann Leary

Peyton Place by Grace Metalious (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: small town adventures where there is more that meets the eye than white picket fences
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (Cecilturtle)

Slow burning domestic drama. Excellent characterization. Really enjoyed this one. ( )
  flippinpages | Apr 16, 2016 |
I had no idea if Hildy was an alcoholic or not. She was so much in denial and kept saying it was nothing. And that is the thing, I the reader knows nothing, but little by little we learn more about Hildy. So is she an alcoholic? You will find out.

The book was not just told about her day after day. There were lots of little episodes where she told about houses she had sold. But it all came together as you later will see. And that was her life, selling houses, and being a bit lonely. Her husband has left, her children live elsewhere and Hildy, ah yes Hildy. I liked her, but the more I got to know her, less I wanted to like her.

There is also a bit of drama later in the book, I am not going into details. But something happens as she just goes on with life.

It was well done, I really was in her head, believing what she believed and it also made me realise how alcohol can different to everyone. Every alcoholic is not the same.

A good, quiet book in a way ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Takes place in a New England town. A "townie" who is a descendant of Sarah Good learns to navigate through relationships and possibly a few glasses of wine again after returning from rehab for her drinking. Funny, well paced and great characters. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I found this to be very unevenly paced. Somedays I couldn't put it down and other times it moved very slowly and I just waned it to end. The ending was fast paced but somewhat predictable? It provided some insights into the life of a closet alcoholic. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Ann Learyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurt, Mary BethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mary Beth HurtNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Denis
I can walk through a house once and know more about its occupants than a psychiatrist could after a year of sessions.

"The Good House tells the story of Hildy Good, who lives in a small town on Boston's North Shore. Hildy is a successful real-estate broker, good neighbor, mother, and grandmother. She's also a raging alcoholic. Hildy's family held an intervention for her about a year before this story takes place--"if they invite you over for dinner, and it's not a major holiday," she advises "run for your life"--and now she feels lonely and unjustly persecuted. She has also fooled herself into thinking that moderation is the key to her drinking problem. As if battling her demons wasn't enough to keep her busy, Hildy soon finds herself embroiled in the underbelly of her New England town, a craggy little place that harbors secrets. There's a scandal, some mysticism, babies, old houses, drinking, and desire--and a love story between two craggy sixty-somethings that's as real and sexy as you get. An exceptional novel that is at turns hilarious and sobering, The Good House asks the question: What will it take to keep Hildy Good from drinking? For good"--… (more)

219 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,862,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible