In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

In the Night Kitchen (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Series: Where the Wild Things Are trilogy (2)

English (63)  Spanish (3)  All languages (66)
I did not like the book, “In the Night Kitchen.” The main idea of this book is to share the sensations young children feel. I found this book extremely confusing and inappropriate as well. I do not hate the book, but I do not like this book. The entire book does not seem to flow well, and does not have a character development. This book that is aimed for K-2 reader, does not at all make it easy for children to grasp at what the book is trying to share. In some illustrations, the main character becomes naked. The illustration also clearly shows the private area of the main character. One thing that I did appreciate about the book is how clear the text is. The text is always shown on a white background, is written quite largely, and the writing is simple and direct. For example, “I'M NOT THE MILK AND THE MILK'S NOT ME! I'M MICKEY!” However, what I also found confusing of the book is how all of the text is written in capital letters. This could confuse young readers who are trying to learn the basic rules of grammar. In conclusion, I would personally never want to read this book for my future students. ( )
  yyoon4 | Dec 4, 2014 |
Read for Lesson 4: Looking At Award Illustrators Assignment
  hbcoates | Dec 2, 2014 |
In the night kitchen by Maurice Sendak is a book about a young boy named Mickey, who goes on an adventure into a world called “Night Kitchen”. He falls naked into the morning cake mix and almost gets bake into it; he then helps the chef’s to bake the cake. I didn’t really enjoy this book. I didn’t enjoy this book for two main reasons, the story line and the illustrations. Based off of previous Maurice Sendak’s books I read I thought I would really enjoy this book and was expecting beautiful illustrations. Unforutnaely this book did not deliver this. The pictures are very plain and unattractive. They offer little to no interest or help to the book. The book is illustrated as if it was a comic book and this was something I did not enjoy. I felt that it took away from the book and made the book very unrealistic, making me not believe that this boy’s adventure was real and not something he made up. I feel that the illustrations didn’t convey the purpose of the book, which was to make you experience this adventure into a whole other world. These illustrations were just too unrealistic to convey this. The final thing I didn’t like about this book was the story line. In general I felt the story line was confusing and I really wasn’t sure what was going on. An example of this is seen when Mickey is baked into the dough then all the sudden he is flying through the kitchen in an airplane made of dough and the chef’s are yelling milk, milk! This confused me and I wasn’t sure how we got to where we were or why the chef’s were shouting, “milk”. This in my opinion took away from the book and made the book not enjoyable and quite confusing. All in all I thought that it was a book that followed the same typical style of Sendak’s books but was not illustrated well and the story line kind of got confusing. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Oct 27, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is a fantasy that encourages children to use their imagination by reading about a boy who is asleep at night and gets up because he hears a noise. He ends up in the kitchen where the bakers are baking and he lands in the batter where they think he is milk.

Personal Reaction:
I liked this book because it is so far-fetched that it encourages the use of the imagination, however, some of the content seemed inappropriate....such as baking a boy.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Because this story involves a cake, the class could bake a cake with the help of the teacher. When the cake is ready, the children could add toppings to the frosting.

2. The children bring their favorite bedtime story to show and tell. ( )
  roni.rawlins | Oct 25, 2014 |
I honestly don't know what to think about this one... ( )
  Bibber_Jane_1982 | Sep 8, 2014 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SADIE AND PHILIP
Did you ever hear of Mickey, how he heard a racket in the night and shouthed, "Quiet down there!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266686, Hardcover)

When asked, Maurice Sendak insisted that he was not a comics artist, but an illustrator. However, it's hard to not notice comics aspects in works like In the Night Kitchen. The child of the story is depicted floating from panel to panel as he drifts through the fantastic dream world of the bakers' kitchen. Sendak's use of multiple panels and integrated hand-lettered text is an interesting contrast to his more traditional children's books containing single-page illustrations such as his wildly popular Where the Wild Things Are.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,331,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible