In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

In the Night Kitchen (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Series: Where the Wild Things Are trilogy (2)

English (72)  Spanish (3)  All languages (75)
I enjoyed reading this story. I enjoyed this story because of the author’s writing style. I like that the author uses rhythm in the story. For instance, when the bakers are baking, the reader can realizes that they are singing because there is rhythm in their words. The illustrations are the second reason why I enjoyed the story. They really emphasized the plot of the story. The illustrations capture the words of the story. I also liked the illustrations because they have a similar format of a comic strip. The third reason I enjoyed this story is because of the plot. I really like how this story is a creative explanation of why people are able to have cake every morning. Therefore, I think the central message of the story is to be creative, and have fun! ( )
  Tcochr1 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Will the bakers bake little Mickey in the cake? He lets them know he's there and even goes to the Milky Way to get ingredients. A very odd little story. ( )
  MelindaBoland | Mar 13, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. The plot was interesting, for the goal was for Mickey to help the baker's make their cake. The feelings of fantasy are strong. Especially, when Mickey does unrealistic things such as jump into a huge bottle of milk. The character of Mickey can be desirable to children because he has an active imagination and gets to experience an adventure. However, the big idea did not seem clear except for maybe children should enjoy their imaginations or adventures. ( )
  mzellh1 | Mar 4, 2015 |
A favorite and one of the first books I bought for my son even before he was born. I love the dreamlike drawings and the idea that anyone gets to eat cake for breakfast every day. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
This book is a fun trip through the mind of a child who desires (like all kids) cake in the mornings. The illustrations by Mr. Sendak are stupendous. There are even variations on old lullabies woven into the text which makes it a treat for young and old. My absolute favorite part of the book is the take on "I see the Moon" rhyme with "I'm in the milk.." It gave a flow to the book that made it more accessible to me when reading it to my son.

My only complaint about the book is the controversy surrounding the "nudity." It is completely overblown and ridiculous.

I have to admit a soft spot in my heart for this book as Mickey and his desire for cake reminds me of my nearly 2 year old son. This really is a great read. Perhaps my new favorite in the Sendak library. ( )
  pcadig1 | Feb 26, 2015 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SADIE AND PHILIP
Did you ever hear of Mickey, how he heard a racket in the night and shouthed, "Quiet down there!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266686, Hardcover)

When asked, Maurice Sendak insisted that he was not a comics artist, but an illustrator. However, it's hard to not notice comics aspects in works like In the Night Kitchen. The child of the story is depicted floating from panel to panel as he drifts through the fantastic dream world of the bakers' kitchen. Sendak's use of multiple panels and integrated hand-lettered text is an interesting contrast to his more traditional children's books containing single-page illustrations such as his wildly popular Where the Wild Things Are.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,286,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible