In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

In the Night Kitchen (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Series: Where the Wild Things Are Trilogy (2)

1,763873,997 (4)49

English (85)  Spanish (2)  All languages (87)
Although this book is a Caldecott Honor book, it is easy to see why it is also considered to be a challenged book. It tells the story of Mickey and how he dreams of bakers and helping them create a cake. Sendak considers this to be part of a trilogy including "Where the Wild Things Are". There are parts that mimic the style and main idea of the classic, yet the illustrations take a different turn. There are several pages where Mickey is depicted travelling through his dream completely naked. The reader is exposed to his full frontal nudity that seems a bit unnecessary I getting the point across. The story itself resembles a folk tale as it ends with an explanation of why we now get to eat cake every morning. The pictures are colorful and the format catches the readers eye and peaks their interest. Yet, the nudity does seem to be a bit over the top and for me, actually took away from the story. ( )
  TashaWhite | Apr 26, 2016 |
I liked this book for multiple reasons. One reason I liked it was for the language. It was very descriptive. The author used descriptive words when he talked about the boy was making an airplane out of the bread dough. The author used words such as “kneaded”, “punched”, “pounded”, and “pulled”. This helps the readers know the work that the boy is doing to create this airplane. I also liked it for the illustrations. The illustrations were really different than other illustrations I have seen. The style of the illustrations fit the text. However, having the little boy naked in some of the pictures may not be appropriate for younger children to look at. I also thought that the writing was very engaging. It was an interesting book with a topic I have never read before. The big message of the book is to show children how to help others. ( )
  madelinependergast | Apr 3, 2016 |
Genre: Fantasy Because this book tells us a dream of a boy. All things are happen in a dream,
Media: Pencil
Summary: The boy has a dream where he goes to a kitchen to help 3 chefs.
I will not use this book in my class. Because there are many naked pictures of that boy in this book. But I would like t recommend this book to parents as a bed time story. ( )
  xye15 | Feb 17, 2016 |
Every word in this is pretty much perfect. Where the Wild Things Are is great, but it's also a bit more an adult's precious idea of how a kid is sometimes--the everydayness of this one, the way the kitchen and the Oliver Hardy chefs are totally mundane but also totally freaky, and all the things that happen make no sense but all in the service of breakfast ("and that's why we have cake every morning," Sendak says, straightfaced, and I wonder if they did or what?), and Mickey the kid chortles through it all and comes out of the batter looking like a dough octopus--there are worlds hidden behind the ones we know and nothing has any cause or effect but it's still all AWESOME--that's how I remember toddlerhood, as the midpoint between "Little Nemo" and Spirited Away. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Feb 9, 2016 |
In this book, Mickey dreamed himself went into a night bakery and helped 3 baker make cakes. The buildings in the background are made by food cans and bottles, the paste could make a plane. Everything in the book is full of imagination, so I think this book can be used for developing children's imagination. But it might not suitable for higher grade. The media of this book might be ink and water color. ( )
  Aliceyeol | Feb 4, 2016 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SADIE AND PHILIP
Did you ever hear of Mickey, how he heard a racket in the night and shouthed, "Quiet down there!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266686, Hardcover)

When asked, Maurice Sendak insisted that he was not a comics artist, but an illustrator. However, it's hard to not notice comics aspects in works like In the Night Kitchen. The child of the story is depicted floating from panel to panel as he drifts through the fantastic dream world of the bakers' kitchen. Sendak's use of multiple panels and integrated hand-lettered text is an interesting contrast to his more traditional children's books containing single-page illustrations such as his wildly popular Where the Wild Things Are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:32 -0400)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,832,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible