In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

In the Night Kitchen (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Series: Where the Wild Things Are trilogy (2)

English (59)  Spanish (3)  All languages (62)
  Bibber_Jane_1982 | Sep 8, 2014 |
I remember reading this story ALL THE TIME as a kid, and it was definitely interesting reading it again now! This is a modern fantasy picture book for readers from kindergarten- 1st grade. What I do remember loving about the story was the illustrations in this story, I loved the imaginative and dream like theme throughout the illustrations. The illustrations definitely coincide with the plot, the events themselves being random and silly. Overall this is just a nonsense and humorous story for students to have fun with, there is no central message really, and it’s just about a boy having a baking adventure in his dream. I would however, be a little cautious to add this book in my classroom’s library because the boy does happen to be naked throughout the entire story, which I’m sure some parents would not be very thrilled about. ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | Apr 7, 2014 |
This is a silly tale of Mickey that floats off his bed, naked and free to find out he is to become the most important ingredient in 3 bakers' cake! Sendak's use of cool colors create a quiet, dreamy, yet adventurous enviornoment for Mickey. Thick black outlines assist with the organic-like draiwing of the figures while they diminish in the background amongst the kitchen-themed cityscape. Some parents and children may be uncomfortable with the book for a few reasons. Mickey's clothes are removed and he is drawn with all his extremities, his white skin is associated with white milk as a requirement for the 3 bakers' cake, and there is a reference to God at the end of the story. Any of these reasons may pose concern; however I would not refrain from reading this book to a child or allowing a child to read this book on her/his own. Though these references may be considered inappopriate by some, others might adore this book for its silly references and childlike innocence of the story.
  MicahCorporaal | Mar 17, 2014 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SADIE AND PHILIP
Did you ever hear of Mickey, how he heard a racket in the night and shouthed, "Quiet down there!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266686, Hardcover)

When asked, Maurice Sendak insisted that he was not a comics artist, but an illustrator. However, it's hard to not notice comics aspects in works like In the Night Kitchen. The child of the story is depicted floating from panel to panel as he drifts through the fantastic dream world of the bakers' kitchen. Sendak's use of multiple panels and integrated hand-lettered text is an interesting contrast to his more traditional children's books containing single-page illustrations such as his wildly popular Where the Wild Things Are.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,825,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible