In the Night Kitchen (Caldecott Collection)…

In the Night Kitchen (Caldecott Collection) (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Series: Where the Wild Things Are trilogy (2)

English (76)  Spanish (2)  All languages (78)
Recommended by Jennifer Quimbey
  RhondaHoward | Jul 22, 2015 |
The story is the chronological first in a trilogy series about a young boy coming of age. In In the Night Kitchen, the boy is intended to be very young age, about three. In Where the Wild Things Are, the boy is pre-K age, and in the third book, Outside Over There, he is pre-adolescent.
This book has been banned across the country in the past because of nudity. It has been ranked 25th of the "100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000" list compiled by the American Library Association.
  Jquimbey | Jul 5, 2015 |
1971 Caldecott Medal Book
Notable Children’s Books of 1940—1970 (ALA)
Best Books of 1970 (SLJ)
Outstanding Children’s Books of 1970 (NYT)
Best Illustrated Children’s Books of 1970 (NYT)
Children’s Books of 1970 (Library of Congress)
Carey-Thomas Award 1971—Honor Citation
Brooklyn Art Books for Children 1973, 1975
  danbrady | May 22, 2015 |
i liked the story, "In the Night Kitchen," by Maurice Sendak. I liked the overall idea of the story. The main idea of the story is to use and have an imagination because it can make life more interesting. An example of the main idea in the story is at the beginning when Mickey hears a loud thumb downstairs in the middle of the night. Mickey's imagination says its a team of bakers who are all working to make a cake by morning, and he decides to help them. Secondly, I liked the illustrations in the story. I liked the illustrations because they made the story more vivid and explainable. For example, when Mickey is being baked into the cake, I wouldn't have understood what Sendak was trying to say without the picture. Furthermore, I wouldn't have comprehended that Mickey was literally being baked into the cake. Lastly, I liked the format of the sentences in the story. I liked how some of the sentences were extended over a series of pages because it made the story feel like it was occurring over a long period of time. In addition, there are some pages without words. I liked these pages as well because it allowed the reader to interpret those pages however he or she wants. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Apr 13, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this story. I enjoyed this story because of the author’s writing style. I like that the author uses rhythm in the story. For instance, when the bakers are baking, the reader can realizes that they are singing because there is rhythm in their words. The illustrations are the second reason why I enjoyed the story. They really emphasized the plot of the story. The illustrations capture the words of the story. I also liked the illustrations because they have a similar format of a comic strip. The third reason I enjoyed this story is because of the plot. I really like how this story is a creative explanation of why people are able to have cake every morning. Therefore, I think the central message of the story is to be creative, and have fun! ( )
  Tcochr1 | Mar 16, 2015 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SADIE AND PHILIP
Did you ever hear of Mickey, how he heard a racket in the night and shouthed, "Quiet down there!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266686, Hardcover)

When asked, Maurice Sendak insisted that he was not a comics artist, but an illustrator. However, it's hard to not notice comics aspects in works like In the Night Kitchen. The child of the story is depicted floating from panel to panel as he drifts through the fantastic dream world of the bakers' kitchen. Sendak's use of multiple panels and integrated hand-lettered text is an interesting contrast to his more traditional children's books containing single-page illustrations such as his wildly popular Where the Wild Things Are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:32 -0400)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,417,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible