In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

In the Night Kitchen (1970)

by Maurice Sendak

Series: Where the Wild Things Are trilogy (2)

English (68)  Spanish (3)  All languages (71)
A favorite and one of the first books I bought for my son even before he was born. I love the dreamlike drawings and the idea that anyone gets to eat cake for breakfast every day. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
This book is a fun trip through the mind of a child who desires (like all kids) cake in the mornings. The illustrations by Mr. Sendak are stupendous. There are even variations on old lullabies woven into the text which makes it a treat for young and old.

My only complaint about the book is the controversy surrounding the "nudity." It is completely overblown and ridiculous.

I have to admit a soft spot in my heart for this book as Mickey and his desire for cake reminds me of my nearly 2 year old son. This really is a great read. Perhaps my new favorite in the Sendak library. ( )
  pcadig1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
To be honest, I did not like this book for a few reasons. I like the concept of a boy dreaming and the dream being told, but I don't like the way it was told. The little boy falls out of his bed and into cake batter. The story continues onto him making an airplane to get milk to the bakers. I feel like it is inappropriate for young students to read. The illustrations were a little too revealing. In not one, or two, but quite a few pictures, Mickey was naked. I feel like because of this students would not focus on the story, but rather the pictures of the naked boy. The writing was confusing even for me to keep up with. While Mickey was saying something, then the chefs started chanting some things. This was confusing to me as a reader. Mickey is a believable character because it is just about a boy showing his dreams. I do not really understand the big idea to this story except explaining a dream that the boy had. The message might have been about thoughts that children his age have and dream about. Again, I did not like this story. ( )
  ndange1 | Feb 8, 2015 |
The main idea of this story is about a boy named Mickey who heard things in the night, and him falling into a kitchen, to show why we have cake in the morning. I have mixed feelings about this book because I did not like the idea of the story. I thought it was unrealistic, because how could a boy be baked into a cake, and that be the reason we have cake in the morning? However, I did like how the book was well written. The language was descriptive using words such as “scrape, pounded, punched and pulled”. When the book said the men were chanting these words, I could actually hear it and picture it in my head. I also enjoyed how detailed the illustrations were, showing Mickey in the dough and in the kitchen and all of the bakers. ( )
  sfinke5 | Feb 5, 2015 |
Maurice Sendak tells a fantasy fictional story about a boy named Mickey, who fell out of bed and through the roof, straight into cake batter in the night kitchen. He went through a journey of becoming baked into a cake, escaping, and collecting an assortment of treats in the kitchen whilst flying on a homemade airplane. With Mickey's help, the bakers made cake, and have been able to provide cake every morning since.
  Emilywilson23 | Jan 26, 2015 |

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Imber-Liljeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SADIE AND PHILIP
Did you ever hear of Mickey, how he heard a racket in the night and shouthed, "Quiet down there!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266686, Hardcover)

When asked, Maurice Sendak insisted that he was not a comics artist, but an illustrator. However, it's hard to not notice comics aspects in works like In the Night Kitchen. The child of the story is depicted floating from panel to panel as he drifts through the fantastic dream world of the bakers' kitchen. Sendak's use of multiple panels and integrated hand-lettered text is an interesting contrast to his more traditional children's books containing single-page illustrations such as his wildly popular Where the Wild Things Are.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

A little boy's dream-fantasy in which he helps three fat bakers get milk for their cake batter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,796,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible