Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian…

Standing in Another Man's Grave (edition 2012)

by Ian Rankin

Member:Muldoon
Title:Standing in Another Man's Grave
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Orion (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride (allan.hird)
    allan.hird: Very similar feel and tone with a balnce on the crime and the protaganist's life

English (42)  Dutch (3)  All languages (45)
Rebus is retired but back in a cold case unit. He uses his old techniques and contacts to investigate a case of missing women that stretches out quite a few years.
Complaints is keeping an eye on him as well, suspecting his too casual contact with criminals.
Rebus is still Rebus, even though his age makes his maverick activities a real worry.
Favourite author. Continues to be a good series and great protagonist, even though Rebus finds he's a dinosaur in the modern police force. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Ian Rankin and Rebus are back (ignoring that Rebus went out with memory issues that aren't addressed). But who can complain. Predictable good fun. Glad he's back. Hope they make more BBC TV shows too--probably not, alas. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
I make no bones about it, Ian Rankin is one of my two favourite authors (the other is James Lee Burke) and Rebus is my favourite character. I not Scots, and I have never been a copper, but otherwise I feel we are kindred spirits; particularly in terms of grumpiness, beer, malt whiskey and, especially music. I can safely say I own all of the music referred to in this book.
So, obviously I am pleased Rebus is back and not just for this book! This is not the best Rebus book but it is up there in terms of quality. Writing, plotting and characterisation are all excellent.
It is a pet moan of mine, as a grumbly old man, that genre writers are not afforded the respect they deserve. Why isn't Rankin ever nominated for a non genre prize? The pretentious pomposity of the literatii is my guess. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
I picked this up used, not realizing it was part of a series. My favorite part of the book was the character of Rebus, an endearing curmudgeon. I didn't find the mystery terribly interesting. I probably won't be enticed to read any others in the series. ( )
  jamaicanmecrazy | Jun 13, 2015 |
Liefhebbers van reeksen rond een zelfde inspecteur komen bij Ian Rankin zeker aan hun trekken. Voor zijn Rebus-romans staat de teller al op 18.
Nu John Rebus op pensioen is, is hij nog meer dan vroeger een loner, iemand die zijn eigen gang gaat en het niet altijd even nauw neemt met de politieregeltjes. Zijn eigenzinnige politiemethode werpt meestal vruchten op en met Rebus in de buurt wordt de job nooit saai.
In Cold Case ziet Rebus een verband tussen een recente verdwijning en nooit opgeloste gevallen uit het verleden. Spannend en grappig tegelijkertijd. 't Was alweer een tijdje geleden, maar een goede Rebus gaat er bij mij altijd in.
  chrisgalle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Ian Rankinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cobelens, GertjanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RIP Jackie Leven
He'd made sure he wasn't standing too near the open grave.

Two Scottish detectives investigate the disappearance of a hitchhiking teenage girl, their only clue a photo sent from the missing girl's cell phone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,053,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible